From linux VM in windows to Windows VM in Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
For more than a decade, I had been a big fan of Microsoft Software, especially Windows and Office (just a fan, not a fanboy). Once in a while, when a new distro Linux comes out, I used to try it for a day or two and forget about it. And if I had to use it for a long time, I used to do create a virtual machine for linux, which again never lasted more than few weeks.

But for the past month, there is a linux distro running on my home PC and there is no windows on the same. If I say the same to my friends at Digit Forum, they will surely be shocked.

The Awakening:

So, why suddenly I have started using Linux? For long, my work life has been depending a lot on Linux. I had been a Linux admin and then Clearcase admin. Few months ago, I got a feeling that I was not giving enough respect to the platform that has been the source of fodder for me. So, I thought of giving Linux a serious try at home.

The first real try:

The next day, I tried to use Fedora which is very identical to RHEL on which I work at home. But There were too many issues.

1) Not able to mount/display NTFS properly.
2) RPM dependencies that used to form a never ending chain
3) UI not refined.
4) Applications availability
5) Fonts look outdated especially in browser

I thought of waiting for better distro and was monitoring the progress of Ubuntu as it seemed to be the best Linux Distribution for home use.

Read On

Last edited:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can give a shot to Urban Terror if you are into online FPS gaming. It works natively in Linux.

sam_1710

Youngling
For more than a decade, I had been a big fan of Microsoft Software, especially Windows and Office (just a fan, not a fanboy). Once in a while, when a new distro Linux comes out, I used to try it for a day or two and forget about it. And if I had to use it for a long time, I used to do create a virtual machine for linux, which again never lasted more than few weeks.

But for the past month, there is a linux distro running on my home PC and there is no windows on the same. If I say the same to my friends at Digit Forum, they will surely be shocked.

The Awakening:

So, why suddenly I have started using Linux? For long, my work life has been depending a lot on Linux. I had been a Linux admin and then Clearcase admin. Few months ago, I got a feeling that I was not giving enough respect to the platform that has been the source of fodder for me. So, I thought of giving Linux a serious try at home.

The first real try:

The next day, I tried to use Fedora which is very identical to RHEL on which I work at home. But There were too many issues.

1) Not able to mount/display NTFS properly.
2) RPM dependencies that used to form a never ending chain
3) UI not refined.
4) Applications availability
5) Fonts look outdated especially in browser

I thought of waiting for better distro and was monitoring the progress of Ubuntu as it seemed to be the best Linux Distribution for home use.

Read On

link does not work..
you've put "*" twice.. Please change it :)

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
^ Virtualbox

@desiibond
Do try Ubuntu 10.04 when it is released in April last week. I am using beta now, and it works really well. Of course your mileage may vary but good luck.

You can try KVM (kernel virtual machine). KVM is a loadable module which runs with the OS’s default kernel module .btw Virtual Box is a good option.

OP
desiibond

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^ Virtualbox

@desiibond
Do try Ubuntu 10.04 when it is released in April last week. I am using beta now, and it works really well. Of course your mileage may vary but good luck.

already tried it. looks really good but a bit unstable so currently sticking to 9.10

and oh boy, I am yet to install windows since last November.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
@desiibond

I think you should consider giving a serious try to Arch Linux at some point. Every linux user should do that atleast once. Worth the effort if installing for the first time. :)

OP
desiibond

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Tried it buddy but it just won't boot. at some point,it just reboots. will give it another go when am a bit free :)

Ecko

Wandering In Tecno Land
Go in Lucid and update sources list using Ubuntu Tweak :D
Den use any software u wsih :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom