Free Windows Live Hotmail POP3 access has gone worldwide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
I formated my PC yesterday and was looking for POP3 setting for my Live account and i striked this. Tested and it works:grin:

About a month ago we reported that Microsoft was rolling out free POP3 access to Windows Live Hotmail customers in select markets. For the vast majority, including myself, the updates had yet to hit their accounts. Well the wait is over, the Windows Live Hotmail team has officially announced that POP3 access for all Windows Live Hotmail accounts has now rolled out to every customer.

Here are the settings to access your e-mail messages via POP3:

POP server: pop3.live.com (Port 995)
POP SSL required? Yes
User name: Your Windows Live ID, for example yourname@hotmail.com
Password: The password you usually use to sign in to Hotmail or Windows Live
SMTP server: smtp.live.com (Port 25 or 587)
Authentication required? Yes (this matches your POP username and password)
TLS/SSL required? Yes

Source : *www.neowin.net/news/main/09/03/13/free-windows-live-hotmail-pop3-access-has-gone-worldwide

mrintech

Technomancer
Great NEWS :)

I blogged How to enable this when it was unavailable here in India: *mrintech.com/how-to-enable-hotmail-pop3-access-in-india-and-other-countries ;)

120i

Broken In
Hi, i made a account xxxxx@live.com after seeing this thread, but outlook express is having problem, always pops the logon box, and this error message.

Code:
There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. Account: 'pop3.live.com', Server: 'pop3.live.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR authentication failed', Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

120i

Broken In
Yes I know password reject message, but i have entered like 10 times the password is not accept. I can open my mail on http with the password, same password not accept through pop3. I get the logon box popup everytime.

Yes I know password reject message, but i have entered like 10 times the password is not accept. I can open my mail on http with the password, same password not accept through pop3. I get the logon box popup everytime.

Have you enabled SSL/TLS for server communications? It is needed. I tried using it on my WIndows Mobile phone, Windows Mail (Vista), Windows Live Mail and Thunderbird. Its working in all of them. Specially on Windows Mobile, the speed is lightening fast for login and mail header download.

I am so happy now, i dont have to install any mail client now, the default Windows Mail of Vista works so well with all of the 2 gmail, 1 hotmail and 1 live accounts of mine. Ofcourse, yahoo still is ruining the experience with its backward class mentality of not offering pop3 access with free account, but what could be done, m*rons are m*rons and will remain like that. I am doing the best i can do, getting away from their service as fast as i can.

Last edited:

120i

Broken In
Hi thanks for the reply, I found the problem not the solution :lol:.
It was my long password (17 characters), i have shortened it and now it works, pop3 doesn't accept long passwords :lol: wat a shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom