found.000

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirtualV

Broken In
i have my mp3 folder converted to a .file file, and my mp3's have turned into .chk files (as recovered file fragments, file0001.chk, file0002.chk..., of course) in a folder.000 folder
which is being treated as a protected operating system file, (along with the files)

luckily they all managed to stay in one piece and not convert into small 16-32kb fragments

the good thing is that i can play the files using any media player(s)

the bad part is - i can't rename the files and-or the folder, i can't move them, i can't copy them.. or mess with them in any way. i tried struggling with a lot of un-chk and file recovery software(s), but in vain
the computer just hangs and restarts (if i try doing any of the above mentioned things)

this is really turning out to be a pain the butt!

now, how may i recover those "recovered file fragments" and turn them back into the normal mp3's as they were..

thanks in advance
cheers!

47shailesh

Security Exp
So what is a CHK file? Well, any time a program or Windows crashes, any files that were open are not closed properly. Part of closing is writing all the file location information in all the right places. Without this info, Windows can't find all the parts of the file. When SCANDISK or CHKDISK is run, all the parts are identified as "lost file fragments" and converted (if you want) into CHK files. Face it. Stuff crashes all the time. If you only run SCANDISK once a month, you get a month's worth of old crash junk. If you were working on (and lost) something important just before a crash, you might want to try to recover any data from any CHK files that exist. On the other hand, if you aren't in a state of panic over lost data, just delete any CHK files. A handy tip: Keep your disk defragmented. That way if you ever do lose it all, the lost file fragments will be more likely to be complete files.

*www.ericphelps.com/uncheck/unchk3.zip

*www.ericphelps.com/uncheck/FileCHK.zip

SOURCE

OP
VirtualV

VirtualV

Broken In
thanks but i've already tried that! (as i mentioned)

i tried struggling with a lot of un-chk and file recovery software(s), but in vain the computer just hangs and restarts

the link you posted, is prob the first one i checked out! (lol)

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
use MP3 renamer to rename all ur MP3 files...:D

FILE AND MP3 RENAMER
ONLY MP3 RENAMERS

OP
VirtualV

VirtualV

Broken In
i can't rename the files and-or the folder, i can't move them, i can't copy them.. or mess with them in any way.
the computer just hangs and restarts

thanks tried that too!

(i guess i'll try it again.. with other softwares)

OP
VirtualV

VirtualV

Broken In
good idea, but i can't afford that! lol
i've had a lot of changes after this incident!

it was a long time before i actually realised that my files were missing (lmao)
so i couldn't revert back (damn)

Darthvader

Back From Deathstar
U mean to say that even in safe mode u could not move/modify those files
have u checked the file properties

OP
VirtualV

VirtualV

Broken In
@ #12

i'd quite made up my mind for something like that (lol),

but still if anyone (including me) can come up with a solution,