Form 50 procurement Procedure For Importing/Shipping items into West Bengal

OP
slashragnarok

slashragnarok

In the zone
I cant imagine not finding a cabby like that in a big city like Kolkatta,

Heck it was the national capital once.

Actually I think this non-availability of products in Kolkata is only due to the monopolization of the market by a few traders (Read M.D. Vedant).

Guys this Thursday I'm moving to Haldia for my new job. 'll be put up at a guest house for an year. Do you think they'll allow me to take my PC along with me?

OP
slashragnarok

slashragnarok

In the zone
Dunno but they might say I'm drawing too much power and stuff.

WTF. None of the shops here have GSkill 8GB ram. Only M.D. does and it's priced at 5.3k+ compared to 4.3k inclusive of everything online.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ask your employer.

And regarding the RAM, tell MD about the online prices. If they don't bulge, purchase online, you don't need Form 50 for RAMs.

B

blestxplorer

I was googling for this form 50 thing, and found this interesting discussion!

It is required for all IT (Information Technology) products imported to state like WB / Assam and North-Eastern States. / Jammu&Kashmir.

This is because this states share international boarder of neighbouring countries, like Pakistan, Bhutan, China, Nepal, etc.

This insures that the goods comes to INDIA through proper channel and are not smuggled into INDIA.

If that is the reason then I'm just curious why states like Gujarat, Punjab, etc. (shares international borders) do not seem to have any shipment issues on ebay.in, as I'm yet to see any eBay India seller that have any shipping issues regarding those states.
Thanks for the information anyway.

rahul2002

Journeyman
I spoke with ITwares a few days ago!!! they said that there will be no requirement of form 50 or any other procedure to ship cabinets into west bengal. I want to buy a lian li cabinet from them but i want to avoid such problems. can someone please clarify????

raj_55555

Journeyman
I found this thread and read it carefully before venturing inside the sales tax office. However, when I reached the Sales Tax office at beleghata I was taken aback as the entire thing has now been shifted to an online application. I will detail the procedure and how one can get a form 50A (the renamed version from form 50) in a relatively hassle-free way.

Steps:

1. Go to any bank and issue 4 VAT and 4 Entry Tax Challans (costs 6 Rs.) and submit those after filling the form up to the bank. They returned two copies(of each) to me after affixing some stamps to it. Here's how they look.

I had to pay 1% Entry tax on the invoice value (including the 5% VAT already paid there) and 4% VAT (to West Bengal Govt) on the Sale amount that is calculated as "Sale Value = Invoice Value + Freight etc. + 30% profit" (See Note 1).
The User guide can be found in this URL. It's pretty self explanatory.

2. After you have issued the challans, go to this URL: DematWaybillUnregistered.

Enter the details required but make sure that you don't write too much in the address field(see NOTE 2), and submit. On the next web page click on "Dematerialised Waybill Application (Un-Registered)". This is equivalent to the Form 56 which was discussed earlier.

Fill in whatever details you know. In the challan details section, upload the scanned copy of the challan documents (both sides). In my case the challan number was written inside the stamp by the bank official which I had to search for. If you submit it by 3PM, you should receive the password by that day only (as told by a sales tax officer).

3. Once you receive the Password via SMS go back to the last link and select "Generate Dematerialised Waybill (Un-Registered)". You will be able to download the waybill after entering the details, application ID and the password. Just email it to the seller and you're done. Also you may send the credentials to the seller, and he may generate or re-generate the waybill accordingly.

NOTES:
1. The sales tax officer warned me to round up the amount you have to pay to the next digit while submitting the challans. For example Rs. 519.19 becomes Rs. 520.00, otherwise the system will not display this properly and you will have to face a lot of harassment later on.

2. I faced some issues during online application of the waybill, the form ended with no receipt and with some error messages. I had to visit the development team of the web-site in the beleghata office. They told me that the app was developed in a hurry and was not tested for most parts, didn't expect anything better from the govt too. Apparently there was no check in place for the address field for character counts in the text box.

3. I was told by the lady selling the blank challan documents that only the Beleghata branch accepts Entry tax challans. I didn't validate her statement though.

Feel free to update this thread if you find anything useful or if you have any queries, as it will help a lot of other guys.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ Thanks a lot for the detailer procedure - really appriciate yur efforts behind this.

But still I think the procedure is complicated, slow and costly as well - if we have to get a 10k product ( and Rs. 200 it's shipping charge - but how will the tax department will know about the shipping charges ? ) the total sale value comes to 13.2k and we have to pay 5% total tax on it which makes it cost to 10.86k.

raj_55555

Journeyman
Not just that! I am paying 5% tax on the "Purchase price+ VAT payed". So basically I am having to pay VAT over VAT. :(

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ yep, that's true and it can make a product price go over MRP which should not happen .

src2206

In the zone
Hello friends

Please help me with this.

I am in process of buying some photographic goods from a person, who is not a dealer. He is selling his personal stuff to me. But the FedEx courier people asked him to get a Form 50 from me. As he is not a dealer or seller, how should I get the form?

Last edited:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ask the person to ship through DTDC. They don't need Form 50, but might charge extra in shipping.

src2206

In the zone
Ask the person to ship through DTDC. They don't need Form 50, but might charge extra in shipping.

Do I at all need to provide this form? As per the CT department's website, the Waybill is only issued to registered dealers which I am not.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ get this pdf file and read it carefully :
*www.wbcomtax.nic.in/e-Services/User_Manual_Demat_Waybill_Unreg_dealer.pdf

raj_55555

Journeyman
Ok, here's what happened after I posted here.

1. I came to know that I wasn't supposed to pay the extra 4% VAT to the WB govt as I am not a reseller.

2. As the last step to generate the waybill, you'll need the airway/road waybill number from bluedart (or other) couriers. This number they will give to you only once you submit the shipment. So basically you'll have to generate the waybill on the spot and give it to them.

Here's the catch. I shipped the item from Dell in Tamil Nadu. Now as they work in individual depts. there was no way for me to explain so many things to them. And apparently they were completely ignorant about the process as orders from WB were placed rarely. The probability of things messing up was high, and it did!
The dell guys placed the "password" for the road permit in the "waybill" section and sent it to bluedart.
Result: The laptop got detained in the airport.

After running to and fro between the sales tax office and the bluedart office I got lucky. Some commissioner allowed me to pick up the item without proper waybill (only after I made a written application). I finally got the laptop yesterday, after making the payment on 28th June.

My suggestion, try to avoid this mess.

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ great .. looking at this messy situation I won't get anything out from Wb unless there's some ( special ) way to avoid this hassle.

Top Bottom