For the Strategic Game Lovers!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
S

sumitava_b

In the zone
I think IGI-2 comes under FPS, if I am correct...although it requires a lot of strategy to tackle those terrorists..
8)

I dont think it will be possible to play rome:total war without agp.....Experienced ones can post some comments on that....

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
read it properly

hey u have to red it properly man before commenting i said that abt mt old system and now have a new latest system..... so i think i can play rome:total war :lol: by ethe way how much video ram it needs????

CyCo

In the zone
ok .. now that u guys are talkin abt strategy games FINALLY and tips for them lets go one by one ....

#1#
AOE2 CONQ{THE_ONE_AND_ONLY}

i dont kno how much time i must have spent on this game .. i played the first one 8 yrs back and then got hooked onto AOE ON LAN ...
btw i disagree with Satissh S when he says AOE is good for campagins ... dude acc to me AOE is actually fun only in multiplayer .. u can play on a 56k cconn in gamespy .. i used to paly with international players go it ws gr8 ...

too bad in 1 way that AOE3 is comin out ... i cd have played aoe2 foreva !!

**STRATEGIES**
For Black forest maps wall up ur city quickly as there are only a few entrances ... then make sure u have a city with seige onagers (highest lvl onagers) .. they can destroy trees on attack grnd .. sneak up on ur opponent while just wastin a few units near ur walls to keep him occupied ....

RUSH !! rush as fast as u can to castle age and attack with 5 knights .. i have won sooooo many games like this ... ur even 5 knights (or 5 more later if need be) can surround his base and kill workers ... stay away frm town center and attack his woodworkers 1st as the hear the town bell least smash the houses 1st .. before the barracks or anything .. this disables his power to make anything so everything goes KAPUT !!

make ur military base not in YOUR BASE but outside his ... therefore u can keep attackin him and keep the pressure up .. just make sure u have atleast some soldiers and the neccessary buildings in ur base 2 .. i have lost a few times coz i made my military base totally outside his and then sum1 came and razed my original base coz i 4got to make barracks and stuff there ....

HALBS ROCK !! these are the only units i use .. they are very cheap and can kill almost nethin .. good against the studs who thinks persian elephants cant b beat ....

JAPS .. HMM ... this is my fav civ .. coz the all the infantry bonuses .. + katapurato ... my trebs pack unpack so fast that they kick ASS !!

TREBS + INFANTRY : get some trebs .. minimum 4-5 best 10 ... and havin japs helps ... u can virtually wipe out bases .. the castles fall so easily and then the trebs can go wild... the infantry just protects ur trebs nothin fancy ....

WALLS SUCK .. they employ huge amts of resources .. and one hole thru them destroys the whole purpose ... u waste time makin em 2 ...

**DONT FORGET TO RESEARCH MURDER HOLES <-- UNIV **

researchin the whole blacksmithy acc to ur unit and some stuff in univ always gives that extra adv needed so badly in battle ... most ppl ferget this ...

make sure ur whole economy runs efficiently on autopilot ... dont make 10 farms and then keep replenishin .. make like 20 or 25 .. so more food and not so much rushin back to make more farms ..

GET THE RELICS .. the gold is the saviour in an all out unit war ...

get the stone and gold mines early .. mine the ones outside ur base 1st as the ones inside are always urs but ne1 mines the ones outside ...

dont waste time makin soldiers bfore castle age .. they suck .. 10 knights will kill whatever u made ...

#2#
C&c

make sure u kill ur enemy bfore they launch a superweapon .. then the game gets really messy and uncontrollable ...

#3#
Rome Total War {ITS_SOOO_GOOD}

MY OTHER SO FAV GAME
i played it for 10 hrs straight 3-4 times coz its so engrossin ...

**STRATEGIES**

play house of julii .. which u invariably will as u generally dont figure out that u can change ur house in the beginnin .. then when u attaack rome when the other 2 roman factions attack u to save rome u can just bribe their soldiers at a very reasonable price ...
the weird thing was that i needed 2000 soldiers to defeat the 600 in rome and i cdnt play it on battle map it lagged so badly (512 SDRAM ,XFX FX5200 lat driv) ...so it saves a lot of time just buyin off the soldiers and hence avoidin attack on ur soldiers 2 ...

see that the tick mark for the option whether u can govern a city w/o a governor is ON .. otherwise it becomes a pain ...

see that u dont lose ur family members early (which i did) .. therefore i had to wait and wait and adopt and adopt everyone i got...

make sure u combine ur navy ships .. dont sail less than 150 grpped at a time .. later it really really really helps .. specially when that b**ch cartage has such a HUGE navy ... then u will need to make those quadrimes and group lotsa those together .. therefore make sure u capture all bases with docks 1st ..

if some town revolts and it starts off a chain .. for me like 10 towns went on revolt .. just revert back to ur previous save and u will find that it doesnt happen at all ...

i somehow prefer the strategy part and not the on map battle .. its easier and faster .... so no comment to godzi_85 but i totally agree when godzi_85 says that i wd have loved to capture the world after my 50 provinces .. i had like 3 lakh denarii and profit of like 30000/turn ...

i cd never figg out how to get rid of disease even when my sanitation was full .. ???
help needed there ..

neways hope this helps

looks like this is a bit long ... but i think worth it in the end ...:D

8) CyCo 8)

OP
S

sumitava_b

In the zone
Well, this thread is getting more and more interesting, especially for strategy gamers.

Mod can please make this thread sticky, so that this thread would be visible to everyone in Gamers section.

Thanks in advance.....

rohanbee

Padawan
WoW :eek:
Its great to see so many strategy gamers here. I thought there would be so few. Maybe we should start a club and review games for each other.

Rome:- total war just the other day i was going to buy that cd but left it. Now hearing some of you describe it has made me want to buy it immediately.

REally interested in some more reviews.

Does anyone here like strategy sim games too?? like this one that i am playing called SIMGOLF its quite good.

Anyone playing Roller coaster tycoon 3 i had to leave it as my onboard mobo graphics could not handle it.

geek_rohit

In the zone
Re: played igi-2

wizrulz said:
hey has anyone played igi-2, its a good game, duno if it comes under strategy game! :oops: Operation flashpoint was good eneough as it allowed me to play on my old system w/o any agp. want to desperately play ROME:total war. medal of honor is good game.

I too love IGI-2. It is not exact strategy though. It is a stealthy first person shooter. It requires strategy,planning combined with great stealth. It is a bit difficult in the start. But once you play it for some time. You start to play better. It is indeed a very nice game. A lot better than IGI-1.

OP
S

sumitava_b

In the zone
IGI-2 is a fine game, but I found it very much similar to Delta Force (as far as gameplay is concerned) which I played exhaustively for weeks. The only difference is that in DF u will get support team like alpha and charlie where in IGI-2 u have to fight alone....

escape7

What? Where? How?
Tips for AOE :

Keep a lot of archers and deploy them at various important points.

Have ur defense strong, surround your township with walls and guard towers.

As u explore more and more try to build guard towers regularly, 3-4 in one group, have some archers near them, the'll help safeguard ur town.

Expand ur towns, add more and more guard towers, keep a range of seige weapons.

For conversions, use two priests/monks together.

Safe guard ur resources.

Attack ur enemies regularly with large armies.

CyCo

In the zone
sorry to say escape but i dont agree with u AT ALL

in regard to ur ealier postin playin with the comp on hardest is not fair to us as if u see in a recorded game that they start out with like 1000 or 2000 of each resource hence makin them advance faster , but not due to skill ...

then as u said abt archers .. they cant really do anything unless u r totally defendin ... wat u gave is a general defence strategy ...
but as the quote is : when the war is at the gates it cannot b won ..

3-4 guard towers in a grp cannot help .. then can max kill 5-6 of my infantry ..

conversion .. lolz .. wat will u do ?? convert 1 unit outta 50 when an army attacks ...

if u keep usin ur army to protect ur resources , then who will attack ?? ;)

ne1 else with some strategies ??

sujithtom

Ambassador of Buzz
escape7 said:
try playing aoe on the hardest mode, that too without cheats. U'll get to know wether the opponents are foools or not :wink:

In AOE opponents r fool even in Hardest mode unless u select the Conqueres (Attila the Hun, El Cid etc) or Age of the Kings (Joan the maid from the menu

escape7

What? Where? How?
Try Battling with archers(not only archers, have 6 of them with the others in your unit), They have an advantage over others, as of guard towers, i'm not talking about building them under townships, i'm talking about spreading them over the whole map, and two guard towers near the resources is enough to safeguard it so ur army can fight the enemies.

Monks/Priests do come in handy, looks like u never played AOE seriously CyCo...tell us ur strategy, playing like this i've played all the series and in the hardest mode, completed all of them without using cheats.

OP
S

sumitava_b

In the zone
In AOE priests r very useful to heal the wounded units, not to convert enemies. Form different teams of army including some priests in each team. During a battle, make two or three priests standing just behind ur army (make sure they dont get hit) and keep them busy healing ur expensive soldiers. :twisted:

geek_rohit

In the zone
AOE-II
I've used this strategy many a times depending on the map. And have been successful with it.
As soon as the game starts, try to fortify your area like in the fortress map. And make towers on the boundary at such a distance that as one tower's area of attack finishes another towers in there. This will help in preventing attacks in the initial stages and make a gate or two in all the 4 directions. And keep your army near the gates. When you plan to attack. Always make 5 or something trebuchets and order them to destroy the enemy gates and towers so that your army can move in without problems. And keep them as away from the enemy region as possible, and order 5 paladins or 2 paladin and 3 ranged units, or whatever combination suits you, to guard the trebuchets. This will prevent them getting underattack. Then after the enemy gates and towers on the other area are destoyed attack the enemy and now order the trebuchets to attack the castle, and keep the army of the enemy busy meanwhile we have some units gurading the trebuchets, but still keep checking that the units guarding have not fled to kill others, and keep the attack going, now as soon as the castle is gone destroy the town centre. And now ask all your units to attack the town centre this way you can win the game easily.

escape7

What? Where? How?
AOE-II :

ur way of playing is perfect rohit.

An idea on how to distribute ur units

population limit : 75

u should have :

3 villagers - wood
3 villagers - food(farms etc)
3 villagers - gold
3 villagers - stone
1 villager - repairman
(have lumber camp, mining camp etc near the resources, this way u'll save time and gather the resources quickly)

attack Unit:

archers - 2
footsoldiers(from barracks etc) - 4
special units - 2
paladin - 2

(u should have 4 such units)

Total population by now : 53

monks 2 with each unit(for healing, and adding t ur units by conversions)

Population : 61

U should have a navy of 5 attack ships, 2 fishing boats, 1 transport ship.

Population : 69

Seige weapons : 6

Total Population : 75

*It depends upon u, it could be that this style couldn't suite some out there.

fortify ur township it with walls, build guard towers at regular intervals, and spread them over the map in groups.

have around four guard towers outside ur gates, u'll have a strong defense.

fortify your coasts with guard towers
(they don't add up to your population limit)

use seige weapons extensively, they have a large range(excluding baterring rams), and the key to ur victory.

repair ur buildings & heal ur units at regular intervals.

most important of all, after reaching the population limit, try to convert as many units as u can, it'll help u a lot. :)

geek_rohit

In the zone
Yea this is good. I too have a strategy that in the inital stage when the resources are less I make the villagers the 30-45% of the population limit and when it is attacking time I make it 25%.
TIP When u begin a attack, top up the production queue in all the barracks, stable, and the other mitilary buildings, then set the gather point for all the buildings in the enemy area where your current war is staged, like if you are attacking the town centre set the gather point there. This will ensure that you have a good amount of soldiers and the army is never short of men when some get killed. For a faster rate of production make more and more military buildings and fill up the queue. But do not fill the queue for the siege weapons it won't be of much help.

rohanbee

Padawan
geek_rohit said:
Yea this is good. I too have a strategy that in the inital stage when the resources are less I make the villagers the 30-45% of the population limit and when it is attacking time I make it 25%.
TIP When u begin a attack, top up the production queue in all the barracks, stable, and the other mitilary buildings, then set the gather point for all the buildings in the enemy area where your current war is staged, like if you are attacking the town centre set the gather point there. This will ensure that you have a good amount of soldiers and the army is never short of men when some get killed. For a faster rate of production make more and more military buildings and fill up the queue. But do not fill the queue for the siege weapons it won't be of much help.

i go even more overboard and make them upto 60% even right at the start and reduce it to an extreme of 10% by sending them into the enemy territory to get killed and free up my pop quota.
Seige engines i always tend to keep only 2-3 as they get destroyed very fast i usually keep them behind a wall for defensive purposes (unless i need to use them at the begining of an offensive move) as well otherwise they tend to move out on their own and then get ambushed. Also they need to be constantly protected by other infantry units and then they tend to destory everyone including your own units!!!

escape7

What? Where? How?
rohanbee said:
Seige engines i always tend to keep only 2-3 as they get destroyed very fast i usually keep them behind a wall for defensive purposes (unless i need to use them at the begining of an offensive move) as well otherwise they tend to move out on their own and then get ambushed. Also they need to be constantly protected by other infantry units and then they tend to destory everyone including your own units!!!

thats the only thing i don't like about seige weapons, they destroy our own units :(

OP
S

sumitava_b

In the zone
I am not very much agreed with Rohit on the strategy of putting the gathering point in enemy's base. This will result in sending your soldier one by one, especially when ur initial army got outnumbered in enemy-base. At that time enemy will just chew and throw your soldier one by one :( . Better gather them in ur base and send them in team. You know Teamwork always works.

Rohan, for siege weapon, make it stand ground near a watchtower or 1/2 infantry in guard mode. This will prevent the siege weapon to get ambushed while strolling around and also make it less vulnerable from enemy infantry. When u need one expensive siege weapon on a roll in aggresive mode, always put a infantry in guard mode. He will always run along with the siege protecting it :twisted: . I used to keep a villager near by the costly sieges. Whenever my siege got damaged the villager came and repaired it quickly. 8)

geek_rohit

In the zone
sumitava_b said:
I am not very much agreed with Rohit on the strategy of putting the gathering point in enemy's base. This will result in sending your soldier one by one, especially when ur initial army got outnumbered in enemy-base. At that time enemy will just chew and throw your soldier one by one :( . Better gather them in ur base and send them in team. You know Teamwork always works.

Rohan, for siege weapon, make it stand ground near a watchtower or 1/2 infantry in guard mode. This will prevent the siege weapon to get ambushed while strolling around and also make it less vulnerable from enemy infantry. When u need one expensive siege weapon on a roll in aggresive mode, always put a infantry in guard mode. He will always run along with the siege protecting it :twisted: . I used to keep a villager near by the costly sieges. Whenever my siege got damaged the villager came and repaired it quickly. 8)

Read it carefully mate. What I mean to say is when you begin the attack top up the queue and set the gather point in the enemy base. And take the current army with you. I said so because when u reach the population limit, you take the whole army in a team and attack. But during the war many of your units are killed to replace them I said that you should top up the production queue. This will ensure that you are never short of units. Because when your units are in short number they outnumber you and destroy your forces. And then rebuilding your force again and then taking them for another attack will give the opponent the chance to rebuild his forces and repair the damaged buildings.

Satissh S

Youngling
Hey! Have you guys finished the Age of Kings Barbarossa scenario 5 "The March of Barbarossa" at hard mode. I have not been able to do so . :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom