for running GNS3 Software- CPU+Mobo+RAM+HDD-Request Your recommendation

tinornit

Broken In
Hi all,

I want your recommendation on CPU, Mobo, RAM & also for HDD(if needed), GPU(if needed) for
Purpose of upgrade:
1. I want to run a Network Devices emulator software - GNS3 which needs pretty decent ( not over the top) CPU cycles- it is combination of hardware & software tweaking ( refer 'more info' below)
2. Stable & run without giving problems ( Solid state Capacitors)
3.Download stuff, Watching Movies, Series
4. Play games - not a high priority, would like to play Max Payne 3 et etc, basically FPS. I am not very much into gaming.

I already have this built in 2008:

Motherboard: Asus M3A78-EM with onboard graphics Radeon HD3200
Processor: DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 3016 MHz (15 x 201) 6000+
RAM: 2x2GB - Memory Speed DDR2-800 (400 MHz)
Harddisk: WD Green 1TB -7200RPM
PSU: CoolerMaster 500Watts.

- This build never ever gave me problems, in terms of maintenance, hardware.

*I want to upgrade only the above components to make windows 7 64-bit installation .

Budget:
Rs.15000/- Which is US$278 ( I know many will think it is too less a budget, however, i request your input).

More Information:

GNS 3: GNS3(GNS3 is a graphical network simulator that runs real cisco images. It allows you to simply drag and drop routers and connect them up to create network scenarios for studying. It is also used very heavily by network engineers.
Now the problem with GNS3 is running it on windows sucks as once you have more than a few routers running the CPU gets pegged and you can’t do anything else on your PC. There are many forums dedicated to resolving these issue and many people, it is one of the reasons a lot of people give up on GNS3. The solution is to run GNS3 on Ubuntu which is a lot more memory efficient and you can happily run 20 routers without Ubuntu complaining.

My request:

Recommend CPU, Motherboard, RAM, optional:HDD, GPU for me, which you think will be better than this around $278.

AMD or Intel ( I think Intel is more suited, but pricewise AMD is better).

help me in figuring this out.
Thanks,
p1tin

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
Your budget is little low for all those components. Can you stretch it to 20 to 25K?

AMD A10 5800k (8500)
msi MSI FM2-A55M-E33 (3800)
RAM: G.Skill RipjawsX 1600 MHz 4GB x2 (1700*2)

Total: 15700

Only the HDD is skipped. Let me brief:

> a10 is best for your budget because of following reasons: a) it has got 4 cores vs 2 cores of i3 3220, b) you can overclock it for better performance, and c) you don't need to buy a Graphic card with this cpu as it has got a very good integrated graphic processor, so you can game too on it.

> don't go for less than 8 GB ram as min 8 GB is recommended for a10 and GNS3 would also benifot from the added ram.

Top Bottom