First Hands on nokia N97 | India

the.kaushik

œ∑´®†¥¨ˆøπåß∂ƒ©˙∆˚¬Ω≈ ç√∫˜
Today i got my hands on the n97...Its a pre sale device which was showcased at a mall here.. Some 6 were displayed and you can actually take them on hand and use.

somewhere here ( *maps.google.co.in/maps?oe=utf-8&cl...latlng=12970100,77609943,15634574984075806773 )

Some core points:
1) Price told 35k
2) very very nice build.The sliding was so easy.Also the guy over there mistakenly dropped the phone very hard and nothing happened... almost from a height of 6ft. He was standing on a stage.
3) Camera and video is as expected. nothing special
4) Touch screen same as 5800. No multitouch. Should have been better. (Gave feedback). Also the touch screen was not that effective sometime. There were situation when i tried to slide to the next pic and it didn't worked and need to try several times.
5) Widgets are really cool.
6) The stylus hanging outside like a pencil actually scuks
7) Sound is pretty loud and i really mean it.
8 ) Keybord was easy and the laptop like look is very comfortable.
9) Was told it charges through USB.
10) Has a lock key on the body
11) Very fast processing speed compared to 5800.. don't know the exact spec difference but it was faster
12) The look and feel as shown in website and ads looks so huge whereas the phone is small and cute.
13) Not able to review the COMPASS feature as there was no GPS signal in the mall.

At the end of the day it was not able to impress me nor my friends and am still hanging with my same phone. Nokia needs to come out something which is not there in the market.

Last edited:
OP
the.kaushik

the.kaushik

Nice review..some pics plz

Thats the worst part.. as i dint planned and went i dint took my cam also.Also i was in a bit hurry. i got a leaflet just for me. if you guys want i can give a snapshot pic of it here

krates

Be CoOl rAp RuLeZ !!!
N97 is no just a smartphone filled with all features.. nothing special..

nice review did you tried some earphones with it ? how was the sq ?

OP
the.kaushik

the.kaushik

N97 is no just a smartphone filled with all features.. nothing special..

nice review did you tried some earphones with it ? how was the sq ?

Nops they dint have the box with them only the phone... anyways the headphone should be typical Nokia sterio which should be good. As told before i tried the speaker and really impressed

OP
the.kaushik

the.kaushik

Here is my complete review on N97 *www.gnetiks.com/gblog/?p=846

Nice review. You know what i think if they would have shown some creativity on the touch screen part then this would have been a kick ass for all mobiles. But sad they dint did.

gdatuk

Ambassador of Buzz
Nice review. You know what i think if they would have shown some creativity on the touch screen part then this would have been a kick ass for all mobiles. But sad they dint did.

thanks.. the design head had no answer to that question when i asked him the same.

the mobile was announced an year ago and launched now and in one year.. there are many technological advances that they missed out in this mobile.. the entire mobile is outdated...

OP
the.kaushik

the.kaushik

thanks.. the design head had no answer to that question when i asked him the same.

the mobile was announced an year ago and launched now and in one year.. there are many technological advances that they missed out in this mobile.. the entire mobile is outdated...

Also i want to make this point for both 5800 and n97 that i liked the height of the screen but why the hell is the width so less... You know the problem comes when you start working on landscape. a bit more addition in the width would have been really great. I understand that increasing width may increase the overall width but that would have really make it comfortable for browsing

Power UP

In the zone
Also i want to make this point for both 5800 and n97 that i liked the height of the screen but why the hell is the width so less... You know the problem comes when you start working on landscape. a bit more addition in the width would have been really great. I understand that increasing width may increase the overall width but that would have really make it comfortable for browsing
Yup iphones' screen is more practical it seems.

*www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2008/12/nokia-97-vs-iphone-3g-blur.jpg

Is it me or does the iphones' screen looks bigger, both of them have reportedly 3.5inch screen. Maybe its just my eyes playing tricks :))

Tamoghno

Padawan
Yes , n97 and iphone both have 3.5 inch screen . Iphone screen is shorter but have more width like 4:3 480x240 screen . N97 is a 16:9 640x360 aspect ratio screen more suitable for single handed operation . So the screen dimension was a careful decision by nokia to facilate single handed use. Its also great for viewing movies.
its very hard to use iphone single handed

although n97 screen have better spec but the glass cover really makes the iphone screen looks better.

gdatuk

Ambassador of Buzz
if u guys are talking about the display quality and ruggedness, N97 tops iphone. But touchscreen technologywise, iphone will rule atleast for the next 2 years or so. Its capacitive touchscreen used at its best....

overall build quality N97 is superior and solid compared to any phones i have comeacross so far

gdatuk

Ambassador of Buzz
if u guys are talking about the display quality and ruggedness, N97 tops iphone. But touchscreen technologywise, iphone will rule atleast for the next 2 years or so. Its capacitive touchscreen used at its best....

overall build quality N97 is superior and solid compared to any phones i have comeacross so far

Power UP

In the zone
Actually the iphone's resolution is 320x480 which is 2:3 or 3:2 aspect ratio. This is somewhat between 4:3 and 16:9.
Now the iphone displays normal and widescreen videos nicely. You don't feel anything major amiss here. On the other hand displays which are more in length and less in width means you get good widescreen content but 4:3 content looks wasted much clearly.
The iphone's browsing also is complemented due to wider width. Now this alone without adding safari, capacitive multitouch and the great ui integration.

Now comes the part about compactness. See when i first tried out the iphone , i was very impressed with the ui. Every element felt well thought out and placed almost perfectly. With in minutes i was browsing the interface like an f1 racer single handedly. Almost everything felt a flick or swipe away. And mind you my fingers are of normal size. Heck even my mom felt totally comfortable with it :))
On the other hand when i tried out 5800 i was using it more with two hands than one thanks to some ingenious ui elements.
Its like nokia was trying something good but didn't hit it properly.

Ofcourse one might get used to the 5800 type ui, but then again i have seen people who struggle even on the iphone's ui :grin:

OP
the.kaushik

the.kaushik

Actually the iphone's resolution is 320x480 which is 2:3 or 3:2 aspect ratio. This is somewhat between 4:3 and 16:9.
Now the iphone displays normal and widescreen videos nicely. You don't feel anything major amiss here. On the other hand displays which are more in length and less in width means you get good widescreen content but 4:3 content looks wasted much clearly.
The iphone's browsing also is complemented due to wider width. Now this alone without adding safari, capacitive multitouch and the great ui integration.

Now comes the part about compactness. See when i first tried out the iphone , i was very impressed with the ui. Every element felt well thought out and placed almost perfectly. With in minutes i was browsing the interface like an f1 racer single handedly. Almost everything felt a flick or swipe away. And mind you my fingers are of normal size. Heck even my mom felt totally comfortable with it :))
On the other hand when i tried out 5800 i was using it more with two hands than one thanks to some ingenious ui elements.
Its like nokia was trying something good but didn't hit it properly.

Ofcourse one might get used to the 5800 type ui, but then again i have seen people who struggle even on the iphone's ui :grin:
Totally agree with you brother. Though i dint wanted to compair both in this thread(So dint mentioned iphone anytime but somehow it creeps in :p ) the interface for iphone is ver easy for even elder persons who usually have problems with phone. My dad still crumbles with his 2 yrs old nokia but can race through my iphone :D Anyways if samsung and LG can make atleast similar display and touch screen like iphone why cant nokia... The symbian OS being so addictive and being away for it for almost 6 months is very hard. I was really expecting some kick ass feature in n97 so that i can again go back to symbian world but :(
After getting addictive to this i-World(Apple) i want something better interface to go back so that i dont regret

krates

Be CoOl rAp RuLeZ !!!
Used N97 today @ nokia priority .... Sliding mechanism kick ass ... easy to use qwerty keypad...

Not something special but still what it has it kick ass of X1 :twisted:

i loved the phone

Last edited:

krates

Be CoOl rAp RuLeZ !!!
^^^ The shop had only dummy but the shop owner got the original live phone from somewhere.. The phone will take 3 more days to come to kanpur

But I used the live unit.. I loved the phone so much I can't tell :p.. Dual Led has became great...

He quoted the price will be 35k he got it for 37k from somewhere

Top Bottom