First Hands on nokia N97 | India

ziha786

Journeyman
Firmware 2.0 has been released for the Nokia N97 and includes a number of new features. Steve Litchfield has covered the bulk of the changes here.

• A reworked memory mapping model – this means that applications use the (relatively) limited RAM much more efficiently and you should rarely see any memory errors. Note that the available ‘Free RAM’ after booting is now a lot less (around 47MB), but don’t take this raw number too literally – apps apparently use less RAM than before
  • Kinetic scrolling in the User Interface in all lists and larger-than-screen views
  • The keyboard driver has been enhanced so that a long press on any key brings up its associated ‘function’ symbol (or number)
  • Music player shows album art more reliably, plus extra MP3 ID3 information
  • Half a dozen new social media and services widgets have been added by default
  • Camera still and video improvements
  • Improvements to stereo speaker volume
  • Offline mode for homescreen widgets (shown below)
  • Ovi Maps 3 is now included (shown below, saving 7MB of your C disk, compared to the current situation)
  • Ovi Store client now integrated (saving more space) (Ovi Contacts also not in the final distribution as expected)
  • More responsive touchscreen driver (so fewer ‘missed taps’) and the usual minor bug fixes across the board
  • Improvements to Sync system (hopefully paving the way for more reliable syncing with, among others, iSync on the Mac)

*media.share.ovi.com/m1/s/1335/75dbeae5a6064bc599ee9d697a619f0b.jpg

The feature that stands out the most however is the Kinetic scrolling implemented throughout the UI, making the N97 feel like a completely new phone. This is especially handy in the Music Player. With the added speed and smoothness, this updates breathes much needed life in the N97, making it even more pleasant to use.

Here i want to share a video on kinetic scrolling
[youtube]zezUBlBq7fc[/youtube]

people over the world have reported signal reception issues with n97..not a new one.. its actually among the list of many issues this phone has.. not worth ..and this magical ver 20 update is still not out. not many owners are happy with this phone .. someone above compared it to omnia hd and said n97 have beautiful keypad.. I personally think its pathetic ..keys are so small ..go and have look at touch pro2 keypad..I will take omnia hd anyday over this ..

@ ziha
Thanks For Information i like some changes:-
Kinetic Scrolling is Very improved But not like iphone....
New music player (alphabet screen shows when you scrolling the music)...
UI Improved (touch is batter with the help of this version)...
Slide unlocking system is pretty nice...and updated ovi store....

If i see more changes then sure i'll share with you guy's...

sdmaverick

Journeyman
@yogi

time to wake up dude :-o V2.0 is in the house!

Secondly, no more call hanging or signal issues in the new firmware, I have personally tried it out so i know how stable it is now...

Regarding the keyboard of the N97, do USE the device instead of READING UP on the internet ya....

Cheers!

ziha786

Journeyman
i tried to Copy/paste via the qwerty shift key works great in certain parts of the interface, but is absent from the Facebook widget and S60 Web. Would it be possible to ever have copy/paste throughout all apps on the N97?

kelly

Broken In
N97 smartphone firmware to version 2.0. You can see improved scrolling, which lets users flick through interfaces, Ovi Maps 3.1, Nokia email, Ovi Contacts and Ovi Store. Memory and battery performance have been improved, along with image and video stability.

I ws downloading some songs yesterday wd my new nokia N97.. bt it stopped working aftr download of few songs.
n cn u plz tel hw to delete junk from phone memory??
cn it b done wdout removing any of the applications from phone??

sdmaverick

Journeyman
@hardeep

Hi howre u doing m8 :razz:

A little clarity, were u downloading music off the web or the Music Store??

Also, for cleaning up junk, install a software called X-Plore from lonelycatgames...browse to C: and delete the following to gain back space:

1. Cache - In root folder and System folder
2. Dmgr in system folder
3. Temp folder in system folder

Hope that helps...

Cheers!

kelly

Broken In
Kinetic scrolling is really interesting in v20...now my fone is flying like anything.. but the frst and last issue is camera lens..when i go to service center they ask me to leave your fone in the center for a month....and i can't leave my fone 4 a month...is the any other solution for solving this problem.

sdmaverick

Journeyman
@kelly

What! :shock: Thats way too much tym...i visited a Nokia Care here in New Delhi and they addressed the issue in about 2 hrs! :twisted:

Cheers!

GERMZ

Banned
the new firmware is really cool...luv the scrolling bit and the hanging issues have been addressed, had to reset the fone atleast once in a day n was realli bugging...

and i also got the camera issue checked up at nokia care, but they did it quite fast...why ures taking tym?

Same problem is with me but now i got N97 mini already have firmware v20....Also when i was update my firmware on N97..i just use this video as suggestion video???
[youtube]rIE1fR2Evnc[/youtube]

the new firmware is really cool...luv the scrolling bit and the hanging issues have been addressed, had to reset the fone atleast once in a day n was realli bugging...

and i also got the camera issue checked up at nokia care, but they did it quite fast...why ures taking tym?

GERMZ

Banned
@james

Nice video thanks for update i purchased mini? its coming with preloaded V20 and i think mini is faster and better than the n97?

Last edited:

sujoyp

Grand Master
firstly u should go for N97mini and not original n97

most of the N97 problems were sorted in N97mini

Top Bottom