Positive Experience First digital delivery system in India?

tkin

Back to school!!
Hi guys, I recently bought a pair of Xiaomi Piston headsets from Flipkart. Got the item in 3 days flat(ordered friday, got today).

Now something very interesting happened when the courier came. After he delivered the item, he took out a big screen mobile, 90% sure it was Grand or Grand 2. Then he opened an application. There he selected some items, looked like item code and then followed by the relationship of the person accepting the item, had options like family etc.

Then he gave me the phone which had a white screen. He told me to sign there using my finger. I was taken aback for a moment and I was amazed. I scribbled a short signature. He pressed a button. Within 2 seconds I got a mail and a sms with delivery confirmation. That means the app is connected to the internet.

Flipkart had managed to digitize the last mile of the courier system they run.

Now had anyone else experienced this? Have you checked the app? I am planning to check the app thoroughly when I buy something again. But this is used only by eKart guys. But I'll definitely sneak a peek in. The concept looked amazing and very well designed.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Didn't encounter this, but I will keep a tab if I order something from FK.

Offtopic: Your Avatar is too flashy, lol. Distracting much. >_>

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
Didn't encounter this, but I will keep a tab if I order something from FK.

Offtopic: Your Avatar is too flashy, lol. Distracting much. >_>
Lookout for eKart guys.

That's the use of the avatar :stirpot:

abracadabra

Journeyman
Well this kinda of a system is not something new in India, its there already around for the last three years or more; Most of my bills come in this format (CC, BB), for eKart, this is place more than a year, i guess if im not mistaken it in action past 2012.

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
Well this kinda of a system is not something new in India, its there already around for the last three years or more; Most of my bills come in this format (CC, BB), for eKart, this is place more than a year, i guess if im not mistaken it in action past 2012.
First time seeing this.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Lol, a courier guy from Amazon asked me to do something like this when I was in States! I however am quite sure it wasn't a mobile phone, however it's far back but it looked something like those machines which we use to see in Big Bazaar and all those shops where they use to swipe our debit bards and all.

Gollum

Collector
its called idispatch.
also bluedart uses a similar thing but that is like a credit card machine thing

doom2010

Journeyman
Yes, Bluedart also use this. I saw it before in a SIM retailer hand(those who collect the documents from shopkeeper and give to their respective company).

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
yep, saw this when I got something delivered. Don't remember if Jabong or Flipkart.
Reliance Digital checkout was also using something like that in the stores

.jRay.

Youngling
yep. i encountered this with bluedart. The machine was thick and looked like a credit card machine with a big screen. I used a stylus to sign.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
I have seen multiple Courier companies use these. Amazon also uses these. Its been in development for a while in India. way back in 2008 I had a opportunity to work on on of this device (win ce devices) and for the same purpose(Courier tracking). The thicker looking machines have bigger battery and few other IO like IR blasters, Bar Code Scanners etc.

EDIT:
basically all courier delivery agents have this device on them, and they get their delivery details pushed into their devices before they leave for delivery from their servers. Also these devices have a GSM Module for connectivity i.e., for pushing the delivery information back to the server. most old terminals ran on Win CE, now a days its just android phones.

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
I have seen multiple Courier companies use these. Amazon also uses these. Its been in development for a while in India. way back in 2008 I had a opportunity to work on on of this device (win ce devices) and for the same purpose(Courier tracking). The thicker looking machines have bigger battery and few other IO like IR blasters, Bar Code Scanners etc.

EDIT:
basically all courier delivery agents have this device on them, and they get their delivery details pushed into their devices before they leave for delivery from their servers. Also these devices have a GSM Module for connectivity i.e., for pushing the delivery information back to the server. most old terminals ran on Win CE, now a days its just android phones.
First time seeing it in Kolkata. I'd received stuff from Blue Dart, FedEx last month, pen and paper.

Top Bottom