First Development Snapshot of KDE4: "Krash"

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddie

El mooooo
KDE released a first developer snapshot of the upcoming KDE4 release on August 18, 2006. This snapshot is meant as a reference for developers who want to play with parts of the new technology KDE4 will provide, those who want to start porting their applications to the new KDE4 platform and for those that want to start to develop applications based on KDE4. This snapshot is not for end users, there is no guarantee that it will be stable, the interfaces are subject to changes at any time. The changes that have gone into the development version this snapshot is based on have all happened under the hood, little is visible yet. Now it is up to application developers to use the new possibilities. While this snapshot will probably not be what kdelibs will finally look like, it should give a fair idea of what to expect.
Before anyone goes ahead and compiles/runs this, please be aware that it will look exactly like KDE 3.5 - except for being broken in lots of places.
*dot.kde.org/1155935483/

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
So, it's gonna Krash a lot :p.
I am not touching it till I see something that's gonna look and feel different enough and usable for a non-developer.

OP
eddie

eddie

El mooooo
tech_your_future said:
So, it's gonna Krash a lot :p.
You got that right :p
Actually it has been released so that developers can start feeling that its high time they start porting their applications to Qt4 and link them to KDE4 libs. As far as I have read, this movement will not be an easy journey. Also, if you see around, you'll find that hardly any application exists that uses Qt4 and that might not be too good for KDE4. So, this snapshot will be a good thing for the developers and KDE alike.

Last edited:

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Kumarmohit, look at the functionality & features it offers first. You can always theme
as you like & change the appearance of KDE. Visit www.kde-look.org to download
themes, Here's KDE3 XP style Theme. Get it from here

Screenshot

*www.kde-look.org/content/pre3/1499-3.jpg

Last edited:
OP
eddie

eddie

El mooooo
kumarmohit said:
if its still looking like 3.5 when are they gonna change it as in by wat release?
October 2006 is scheduled to see first "Technical Preview" of KDE4. So if everything goes according to KDE devs' plans then we should expect some serious eye candy around that time :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom