finding the ip of accesspoint in wireless lan

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhishek_734

Broken In
our institution has a wireless lan built in the campus for providing data services.Sometimes,it so happens that users are not able to connect to internet using any one of the access point even after connecting to the ap.(it shows "access local only").For troubleshoting the problems we require the exact ip address of that specific access point.

How can we find the ip of the ap the system is connected.(not the ip of the main server which is poviding internet but the access point which is routing the connection and provides the end signals for users to connect)

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think you are referring to the Default Gateway.

ipconfig /all in the Command Prompt may show you that when you are connected and you can then note that down.

OP
A

abhishek_734

Broken In
I m referring to wireless access point and not default gateway.that is the one of various access points which is connected to the main server(gateway) in wireless lan and provides internet connectivity to clients.That is >>server (default gateway)>>access points>>(repeaters (again access point,optional))>>client..

Btw..i found a way to do this in linux.first i did "iwconfig" to find the mac address of the access point i m connected to.then i did "arp-a" to see the arp table and found the ip corresponding to this mac address.Also heard that some wireless sniffers like kismet can also do this job.

...still trying to figure out a way to do this in windows without using any of those complicated softwares..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom