Finalizing PC Build, need help to reduce costs

escape7

What? Where? How?
Hey guys,

I am upgrading from a MacBook Air to an Assembled PC. Budget is approx 86.5K. As I live/work in Singapore, the parts will be sourced from here and SGD 1800 is the max that I can stretch (Have done a conversion to Rupees). The build is a little over the budget but i'd have to wait a while and delay the purchase which i'd rather avoid.

This PC will be used by me and my wife for work and personal use. We'll be running Sybase, some PERL scripting, programming(python, C#), 3d modelling, casual gaming and video/audio editing.
I don't want to compromise on the CPU and the GPU but it doesn't seem like it. Would like to have the 27" monitor, other monitors are just too small for our requirements.

Below is the RIG that I have planned so far. Anything you all can recommended to get the price down without much sacrifice in performance?

*i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr66/frank_ragnar/Screen%20Shot%202015-05-17%20at%208.54.36%20pm.png

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans:
Adobe Premiere Elements, Sybase, Bloomberg local terminal, UNITY3D, C#, PYTHON, PERL, Office Apps via CITRIX and the new AAA games including GTA V and the likes.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans:
86.5k Rupees - 1800 S$

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans:
No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans:
8.1 - have a licensed copy

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans:
1 TB HDD 250 GB SSD -

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans:
Buying new monitor, preferably 27" 1920x1080

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans:
Mentioned in the chart above

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans:
Mid July

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans:
Doing it myself. have assembled desktops before.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans:
Singapore, buying locally or online shops.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans:
All mentioned in the intro paragraph.

Last edited:

Nerevarine

Incarnate
you have a low end H81 series motherboard, a non overclockable i5 and still you want to buy a water cooler, i do not understand the logic behind that..
Your best option is to completely remove the water cooler.. and buy a H97 based board

OP
escape7

escape7

What? Where? How?
you have a low end H81 series motherboard, a non overclockable i5 and still you want to buy a water cooler, i do not understand the logic behind that..
Your best option is to completely remove the water cooler.. and buy a H97 based board

Initially the build had an i5 4690k and a good motherboard but it was going over so they had to go. The mother board is where costs can be cut without a significant drop in performance, hence a cheap one :)

Yes, the liquid cooler looks way out of place here, i'll take a look again and come up with an updated config without it.

GammaLazer

Broken In
I am also a game developer and using a high end PC with almost same requirements as of yours. I would first suggest you to cut down the water cooling for now and stick to stock cooling for now as you don't want to overclock for now. Also please change your mind and get a CPU with k series which are always benificial in future. As for cooling you can always upgrade later on. I too had been using stock cooler for my 3750k for more than an year and then upgraded to lucifer after buying GTA V. That too because ambient temperatures here are very high and GTA V puts a lot of load on CPU.

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
1825 You can also do away with speakers and camera for now.
2113 If you already have a computer, reuse the cabinet.
0720 You can reduce the number of fans to 4.
4948 And like others said, cut the cooler
9606 Total Saved

You can get all these at a later convenient time.

OP
escape7

escape7

What? Where? How?
Thanks for the suggestions guys, i'll cut out the cooler and the peripherals for now, maybe get them later. That should do the trick.

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Get a better cabinet. Its the only investment that will last you all the builds you do hereafter. Put the water cooling money in the Cabinet cuz sockets will change but the cabinet will last forever and it is the primary foundation for cooling.

isaac12345

Journeyman
1) Agree with most people about the water cooler. If you are not overclocking, you would not need it. Go for a cheapish air cooler.

2) You can try going for a 500W PSU which may save a few dollars.

3) Try second hand for components for which you can get trusted sellers. You'll save quite a bit there as well.

4) I doubt you would need 5 coolermaster sickleflows if the case and coolings fan on the cpu & gpu are set up correctly and are inherently well designed. Try the build without them, then put on one at a time.

5) Go have a look at G-Sync monitors. I say this because as far as I understand, it will increase the longevity of your system by still giving you a good experience at low framerates that will eventually start happening around the 4-5 year mark. It will also improve your experience right now in a tangible way.

6) If you'll be spending a lot of time on the computer, get a good chair, desk,keyboard and mousepad to avoid RSI related injuries. You would definitely want to avoid that!

7) The case although quite functional is quite ugly :/ Have a look at a few others. Again second hand here could get you better cases.

Hope this helps :)

Top Bottom