Files not displaying on Mapped Networked Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmvinodkm

Broken In
We have a mapped network drive in Windows Xp PRof. System.The contents of this drive are not fully displayed.Some files are missing from the folders.
the files are originally residing in the folder and can be opened in other systems.the files are not hidden. anybody have solution on this???????

Fighter

Broken In
Sharing files with a mapped network drive

First a warning: be careful which files and folders you share, don't share your whole C: partition or your My Documents folder!
Consequences: all your personal information are easy found (passwords, e-mail, personal files, Live Messenger chats, visited websites, favorites, possibly your income (tax papers),.....)! I prefer to create a folder the name NETWORK on the D: partition and share this folder also with the name NETWORK.

Sharing files/folders (Windows XP)

Sharing the folder is done by right clicking the folder and select Sharing and Security. Confirm you understand the security risks but don't use the wizard. Now you see that you are able to share this folder on the network. Enable the sharing option and the share name will NETWORK will be filled in (enable the option Allow network users to change my files as well, if you would like that others are allowed to change your shared files). The folder icon will change, a hand will be added.

Opening shared files/folders

First you have to make sure all computer in your network are operating in the same workgroup. This is done by Control Panel, System, tab Computername, button Change. Use a short and simple name for the workgroup (default is MSHOME or WORKGROUP) and use a short and simple computer name for all computers in your network.

To view the shared files on the other computer, you can browse your network. This is done by starting the Windows Explorer and navigate to Desktop, My Network locations (if needed, right click and select Explore), Full network, Microsoft Windows network. Here you will see the name of your network (default is MSHOME or WORKGROUP). Double clicking this icon will show all available computers in your network.

If you are not able to see the other computers in your network, make sure you are not blocked by the firewall (don't forget to switch of the Windows firewall if you are using firewall software!). Check if the other computer has shared files (else there is nothing to find) and that File and printer sharing for Microsoft networks hasn't been switched of (see the internet connection settings above)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom