fedora blues........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys .... i have installed Fedora on my system ... which i got fon the Digit July Dvd, first of all ..it takes a lot of time while booting and i think my config is not that bad.....and it checks email programs (sendmail type) at startup.. and when my net is off .it takes around 3-4 minutes waiting to check the connection BEFORE THE LOGIN SCREEN .... how to disable this ?? and also when the login screen appears ... the mouse cursur goes on a walk ..the mouse works perfectly well as i can access all the menus by using the mouse (they get highlighted when i move my mouse randomly coz the cursur is not visible) ... wat can be the problem and the possible solution for it . I am new in linux arena so dnt knw anything bout it ...hope i have explained the problem well enuff. plz help ...............

My config :
AMD 3600+ with Asus M2NPV-VM (nvidia 6150)
512 x 2 kingston 667 in dual channel
hitachi 160 gb 3.0gbps
lite on 20x
Intex Optical Mouse.....

and also i cant change the screen resolution more that 800 x 600 and refresh rate more than 60 hertz. the drivers provided on digit dvd (nvidia force ware for linux) are not running ... how to run them???

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
To disable some startup services, use system-config-services app to do it. It can be found under System=>Administration. See the description and then disable the service. If you disable network services, then your BB will not activated as you start ur pc, i mean if u want to use the net after booting, then u wud have to activate it manually.

OP
harryneopotter

harryneopotter

Padawan
sorry for posting in wrong section ... i am new here ... thnx for the replies ... but the main problem is still ther ........ how can i make the mouse pointer visible while running fedora ...its not visible and i have tried to change mouse pointer in Mouse properties option ..but no use ........... plz help ...........

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
harryneopotter said:
sorry for posting in wrong section ... i am new here ... thnx for the replies ... but the main problem is still ther ........ how can i make the mouse pointer visible while running fedora ...its not visible and i have tried to change mouse pointer in Mouse properties option ..but no use ........... plz help ...........
Sorry buddy, i can't understand what are you saying. Please be clear about what you are saying. U mean u can't see the mouse pointer while using FC-7?

OP
harryneopotter

harryneopotter

Padawan
The Unknown said:
Sorry buddy, i can't understand what are you saying. Please be clear about what you are saying. U mean u can't see the mouse pointer while using FC-7?

xactly .... read the first post ... the mouse pointer is not visible at any stage (whether login screen or desktop,if they cal it that in linux)... but i can access all menus by the mouse by moving it in the right direction clicking ....i mean all menus get highlighted when the mouse points on them ..but the pointer is still not visible ... i can click on all buttons but cant see the pointer ??? Also i cant change the screen resolution more that 800 x 600 ??

Are these problems common or its just that I always face rare problems every time ???????

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
Try changing the pointer: System=>Prefs.=>Mouse=>tab: pointer.

for display, configure ur monitor using system-config-display=>hardware. Select ur monitor. Then try changing resolution on the 1st tab of system-config-display.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Ah, The Unknown - He's mentioned he's already done those, he is getting no solution out of it. Read and reply please :)

harryneopotter
- Its a problem with your graphic drivers alright, not any thing other than that hopefully. presuming you have Internet access on Fedora, run the following in the terminal:

Code:
su -
<password>
yum install kmod-nvidia

Now hit Ctrl + Alt + Backspace (make sure you save your programs and documents running before that) and login as root and run:
Code:
nvidia-config-display enable

Reboot and let us know if its fixed.

OP
harryneopotter

harryneopotter

Padawan
yes i do have a PS2 mouse ....and thx qwerty manic for ur reply ...i'll try it today ....thnx ....does the graphic driver will resolve my mouse problem also ??? and the mouse is wroking perfectly fine ..means i can use it and click all the buttons .. only the POINTER is not showing ...pressing CNTRL key shows the location of pointer .......... and i have tried to run the Nvidia Forceware for linux fron the digit dvd ..but nothing happened ???? i have a slow connection ..cant i use the drivers provided on my MOBO disk(for linux obviuosly) or from digit DVD July ??????

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Um, its better not to use them as they'd require messy configuration and compiling, etc. The mouse uses X to show up anyway, so it might be a graphical case, but am not entirely sure of it. Atleast kmod-nvidia fixes your resolution issue so you can work on troubleshooting Linux with a better patience than the one you try at a measly 60Hz :)

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
Well for that matter, i am also using a PS2 mouse and i don't have any problem with it. It's just an local make: Tech-Com.

praka123

left this forum longback
QwertyManiac said:
...The mouse uses X to show up anyway, so it might be a graphical case, but am not entirely sure of it. ...
heard gpm?it is for mouse use on command line.yes,in Ubuntu too u can apt-get install gpm,and dpkg-reconfigure gpm it to adjust speed.i set 25 as speed.
u can install configure-debian(cli) or gkdebconf for gui to adjust available options.
Debconf prioritizes the questions it asks you. Pick the lowest priority
of question you want to see:
- 'critical' only prompts you if the system might break.
Pick it if you are a newbie, or in a hurry.
- 'high' is for rather important questions
- 'medium' is for normal questions
- 'low' is for control freaks who want to see everything
and i set it to medium as it gives more control for my debian and buntu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom