Fedora 9: Leading Edge OR Bleeding Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
Hehe, as funky as the title appears, it isn't. Here's an article on Linux.com which treads the path of Fedora's balancing act.

*www.linux.com/feature/135685

I'll directly write the conclusion here from the same source.

Aside from the problems with PackageKit -- and, to a lesser extent, the inclusion of KDE 4.0.3 -- Fedora 9 manages to balance innovation with a high degree of usability. Over the last few months, Fedora has been increasingly compared favorably with Ubuntu on both accounts, and, to a large extent, it deserves this praise. If anything, it has probably exceeded Ubuntu in innovation, with at least a dozen major new ideas in every release. It is a rare release, too, in which Fedora's menus and dialog do not show minor tinkering to fine-tune the user experience.

Yet the problems in Fedora 9 emphasize how difficult a balance the Fedora project tries to maintain. The fact that improvements are coming for both KDE and PackageKit, and that, meanwhile, workarounds exist, is beside the point -- these facts are lucky accidents, and nothing that Fedora has done.

Although Fedora's innovations make it one of the more interesting distributions to use and watch these days, the project needs to temper its creativity with more consideration of how changes affect users. Perhaps these relatively minor problems will help the distribution correct its release policies before a major disaster happens in a future release.
Most seasoned Fedora users won't find anything new here, and Fedora has always been the forerunner of innovation at the cost of usability. Well, I got no complaints :D

......c'mon Nvidia pull up your socks..

Pat

Beyond Smart
..aah!for Gnome,every thing is OK on Fedora ?

Yep..Installed and configure Feodra 9 last night! Package Kit sucks big time (It needs network manager to work) Network Manager doesnt work (though I can connect to the internet)! Instaleld Yumex and it works wonderfully well!

Then I wanted a bling-bling desktop (which I am so used to on linux) so for that I had to remove the new Xorg , install the older one, install nvidia drivers , then compiz! It sounds difficult but its not so (mainly because of good community documentation)

Currently everything is working great on Fedora! I somehow love Fedora's Font Rendering more than Ubuntu's! Dont know the difference between them technically speaking!

praka123

left this forum longback
remove networkmanager crap-thats the first thing I do in Ubuntu :)
packagekit-it sucks in every implementation I have seen(Foresight Linux with conary pac.manager).

Pat

Beyond Smart
Yea..not too mention..Firefox 3 beta causes X to crash once in every 10 mins! Seems like there is not much challenge for Ubuntu atleast in the desktop market!

praka123

left this forum longback
well,...firefox3beta is stable for mine :) it is proprietary X drivers from ati or buggy drivers like openchrome for via,sis etc are the reason for crash,may be :)

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
..aah!for Gnome,every thing is OK on Fedora ?

Yep, it works nicely.

Yea..not too mention..Firefox 3 beta causes X to crash once in every 10 mins! Seems like there is not much challenge for Ubuntu atleast in the desktop market!

Firefox 3 beta 5 rocks man!! Its so fast n stable than Firefox 2.

well,...firefox3beta is stable for mine :) it is proprietary X drivers from ati or buggy drivers like openchrome for via,sis etc are the reason for crash,may be :)

+1

mediator

Technomancer
Actually, Network Manager "does not" suk when u r on wireless. It is simply superb on that! BTW, M amazed by the boot up speed, seems to have reduced to 1/3rd with sulphur. Yea firefox seems to have improved and same goes for yum! *www.smileyhut.com/music/wos_musik8.gif

Pat

Beyond Smart

Its not the drivers for sure..I have a feeling it maybe due to certain plugins that I have installed for firefox! Anyways, I dont plan to stick to Fedora so no need to waste time in finding the cause :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom