Fedora 6 + some features , Check it out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mediator

Technomancer
Source : *www.redhat.com/magazine/024oct06/features/fc6/?sc_cid=bcm_edmsept_007

Desktop effects

Red Hat has been working on AIGLX through the Fedora Rendering Project, and while we did have it as an optional experimental repository for Fedora Core 5, it has now gone through a number of changes to provide easily enabled desktop effects in your Fedora Core 6 desktop. What have Fedora Core 6 development teams been up to? Here's a few of the things they accomplished:

* Unveiled AIGLX as a community-oriented incremental approach to providing a framework for compositing desktops.
* Merged AIGLX framework into Xorg. It is now available as part of Xorg 7.1 release and will be included in Fedora Core 6.
* Xorg has an improved dynamic configuration mechanism and compositing extension is now enabled by default.
* Changed the OpenGL-based compositing window manager Compiz. It will now work on top of AIGLX and has been tweaked to work better with Fedora.
* Installation of Compiz by default in Fedora Core 6. You can enable it by clicking on the appropriate checkboxes in System=> Preferences => Desktop Effects. With capable hardware it will just work without having to configure anything or even logout of the system.

The results are pretty impressive. While some of these effects are pure eye-candy, others have a more practical value--providing a more physical and tangible feel over application windows and virtual desktops. Not to mention the fresh DNA-themed desktop background
and more check em out!

*www.redhat.com/magazine/024oct06/features/fc6/fc6cube.jpg

Looks real cool!

[xubz]

"The Cake is a Lie!!"
Ubuntu Edgy + NVIDIA Beta Drivers + Beryl = More Cool Features than Compiz..

Beryl is a Fork of Compiz.. it was called the Compiz-Quinnstorm Before it was Renamed.. Its got Better Features than you know.. and it even Supports full Theming..

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Yeah, Ubuntu rocks for sure. Using Beryl with NVidia Beta drivers you get great effects than Fedora 6!!

red_hat

Broken In
I installed fedora Core 6 yesterday.
I installed it in Graphical mode ,it worked perfectly but after finishing installation when pc rebooted and os started loading it shoowed unable to run x server.some modules missing......and went in CLI mode

it has created logfile but how can I paste its output.
I choose nearly all packages except KDE related.
What should I do ?

OP
mediator

mediator

Technomancer
Why dont u chose the full installation mode, and leave no package behind? I alwayz did that n encountered no problem yet!

red_hat

Broken In
What is u r sys.config ?

check out here
*fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAQ#head-640c24d1609de5de1e7955fc46743cc017e77d75

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
^^
Dont go for FC6 with that or even FC5 for that matter with a PC a bit old like that. Bloat ups, those are workstation distros. For learning take a debian system, a.k.a Ubuntu. You get ton loads of support and features in those too!

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@jack// ani, You better upgrade your System to atleast 512 MB RAM. Almost all Linux
distros need atleast 256 MB RAM for decent performance. I think Xubuntu would fit
your PC config perfectly. Also your PC config is not sufficient enough for running Fedora 6.

OP
mediator

mediator

Technomancer
Well I have 2.4 GHz, 512Mb RAM with onboards graphics and FC5 works perfectly on that! So FC6 shud work on u i guess, u may try it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom