Fedora 11 Freezes upon installing Ati Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
My friend has a Biostar A785GE motherboard which has an Ati HD4200 integrated graphics with an AMD Phenom 550 B.E Processor. It is in dual boot - Windows XP & Fedora 11. He got the PC four days ago. Today, I downloaded the Ati linux driver & went to his place to install it. The installation went fine & we were booted into Fedora 11. Enabled Compiz & all was fine. But after a few minutes the PC froze. Restarted the system but again the PC froze. Then I booted into single user mode & uninstalled the driver. Rebooted & then it didn't. So is the driver the culprit?

Also why is the Ati Control Panel detecting 20" Samsung LCD as an CRT monitor?

p_dude

Broken In
My friend has a Biostar A785GE motherboard which has an Ati HD4200 integrated graphics with an AMD Phenom 550 B.E Processor. It is in dual boot - Windows XP & Fedora 11. He got the PC four days ago. Today, I downloaded the Ati linux driver & went to his place to install it. The installation went fine & we were booted into Fedora 11. Enabled Compiz & all was fine. But after a few minutes the PC froze. Restarted the system but again the PC froze. Then I booted into single user mode & uninstalled the driver. Rebooted & then it didn't. So is the driver the culprit?

Also why is the Ati Control Panel detecting 20" Samsung LCD as an CRT monitor?
new ati drivers seem to have some problem with f11 install older version ati drivers and see if there is any change
else
disable compiz and see what happens

Last edited:

calanor

Right off the assembly line
even i am having problem making fglrx work in fedora 11, although you should not be getting the freezing error if you follow the instructions carefully
has anyone solved that flickering pointer thing ? i wanted to start a thread long ago but couldn't
due to some stange forum rules :evil: i cannot start a thread anywhere ,where everyone else seems to be having no problem at all
am i a threat to national security?:evil:

OP
Cool G5

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
even i am having problem making fglrx work in fedora 11, although you should not be getting the freezing error if you follow the instructions carefully
has anyone solved that flickering pointer thing ? i wanted to start a thread long ago but couldn't
due to some stange forum rules :evil: i cannot start a thread anywhere ,where everyone else seems to be having no problem at all
am i a threat to national security?:evil:

Fedora 11 freezes even if I don't enable compiz. After I uninstall the Ati driver, it doesn't freezes.

calanor

where does it freeze exactly?
did you remove the SWCursor line
what steps have you followed in installing fglrx
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
-----------------------------------------
dude there are many many tutorials on fedoraforums.org did you see them

Last edited:
OP
Cool G5

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
It freezes randomly. Sometimes soon after loading the desktop, at times after a few minutes after booting. I haven't yet visited Fedora Forums.

abhijangda

Padawan
hey frnds there isn't any problem with drivers but the problem is in fedora 11. I mean fedora 11 is incompatible with some of the ati drivers including my ati radeon xpress 200. you can use fedora 10 in that this issue has been resolved but i m not sure about this try following things:
connect to internet through fedora
open terminal and enter sudo then your root password
then type yum update xorg-x11-drv-ati
this will update the open source drivers and if your computer seems to be right then tell me i will also try.

calanor

goto *forums.fedoraforum.org/showpost.php?p=1257973&postcount=3564
follow every instruction
and for future references on any problem visit fedoraforums.org

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom