Favorites icon prob with TuneUp Utilities 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

d4l3d

Broken In
I'm at a lose as to what to do about this. TuneUp support won't answer my emails. This is what I sent:

"I am a registered user of TuneUp Utilities 2007. I have just found out that if I try to change the Favorites icon under Start Menu in Winstyler and hit apply I get a red circle with an X and this:

'Your changes to a system element could not be saved. You must log on as a local administrator to be able to change all elements with TuneUp Styler.'

I am the only one on this PC and am logged in as administrator. How can this be fixed?"

I CAN change the icon at the folder. I'm not getting this administrator problem anywhere else in TuneUp or my computer so far. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

TIA, d4l3d

Liggy

Is actually a real word..
TuneUp installed fine with no problems? Another poster is having simmillar problems and just having him set some permissions to see it that helps him, will get back to you later to see if he gets any further, suppose you can't call them (tuneUp) eh!

OP
D

d4l3d

Broken In
2007 was an update. As far as I can remember there were no install problems. I've had TuneUp through maybe the last half of 2006. There's one other unrelated thing that came up recently, but that's for another time. All the functions are uh, functioning.

I've tried re-confirming my privileges at the Favorites folder, My Computer and DOS. All unnecessary. This makes me sound like I know what I'm doing. Don't be fooled. I'm the personification of "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing".

Call TuneUp? Sure. What's the German for...

Nice to know I'm not the only one with TuneUp tribulations. Reviews led me to believe it was created by gods. Maybe that's why I never hear from them. TuneUp works in mysterious ways.

Really interested to see what you come up with. At the least, you respond.

d4l3d

OP
D

d4l3d

Broken In
ashisharya,

Don't know what rescue disk you're referring to but you do remind me that I also first tried the the repair functions in TuneUp Styler (which is essentially the same with regard to icons under "Correct Problems") before anything else.

d4l3d

Liggy

by the sounds of it you should have been given option to create a rescue disk should anything bad happen, so you can restore back to a known time when everything worked. you can try windows system restore (Personnally I would NOT do that, only as a last resort, before formatting) try going here and searching their FAQ or click "support team" to email them.
*www.tune-up.com/support/?product=6...category=b4d3e39ba51f42758c7617518db3c7d7#res

OP
D

d4l3d

Broken In
Liggy,

If you check posts 1&3 I'm asking for help here because TuneUp support won't respond.

As far as the rescue disk option is concerned, I don't recall being prompted to do that. Besides, I am dead poor, living on disability and wouldn't have had the media to do that anyway.
(Feels a bit like attacking a gnat with a sledgehammer.)

Still looking forward to the progress developing as referenced in the second post.

d4l3d

Liggy

well i'm stil waiting for a response from him. go to properties of C:, you should have a tab that says security, there should be about for or five different 'users' there. Administrator, (creator)owner, Everyone,system, (users), (your name). If you have your computer setup with your name, but do not see it there then add it. Admin and sys should have full control. select admin then clcik advance button. select owner tab "current owner of this item" shoulld show either administrator, or your name if not select appropriate one put check in checkbox below (replace owner...) clcik apply then ok. what firewall/AV are you running. when was the last time a full sys scan was run for virus's???

OP
D

d4l3d

Broken In
I must be misunderstanding you. Starting in My Computer, right-clicking on C > Properties gives me 5 tabs; General, Tools, Hardware, Sharing and Quota. Nothing as you describe. If you mean User Accounts (in Control Panel) it is me as administrator and a guest account that is off. As stated previously I have confirmed myself as administrator by going through Properties at the Favorites folder, My Computer, a DOS method etc. In all these places it is only me, as adminisrator, that is listed. As far as I can tell I had and have administrator privileges everywhere but at the site of the problem.

I'm on XP SP2. The full security rundown is; Comodo firewall, AVG free, AVG anti-spyware, Ad-Aware SE and Spybot. My last scan ritual was Saturday, and a few days before I did scans in Safe Mode just to eliminate that possibility.

Just to reinforce, there is nothing I've encountered to indicate I have lost or compromised administrator privileges save for this one annoying instance.

Thanks for sticking with this, d4l3d

iceeeeman

Journeyman
Dude the reason y u cant c Security tabs in c : properties is becoz i guess u are using FAT32 file system...Anyways try this :-
The built-in Administrator account is hidden from Welcome Screen/Login screen .As you said you are using Windows xp sp2, press CTRL + ALT + DEL twice at the Welcome Screen and input your Administrator password(if any) in the classic logon window that appears.

Or​
Copy paste the following code in notepad and then save it as .REG , finally double click on it and then click on yes ..

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList]
"Administrator"=dword:00000001
Using this will enable admin on the welcome screen to disable just chnage the value of
Code:
"Administrator"=dword:00000001
TO
Code:
"Administrator"=dword:00000000

And then again run it ..

Then try changing the favorites Icon using Tuneup..;) If then too the problem persists Create a New user and then Try ..:)
Hope this helps u​

Last edited:
OP
D

d4l3d

Broken In
I'm not trying to be difficult but if I can do things like, as an example, add and remove software doesn't that render your suggestions moot? Aside from showing me as administrator in Control Panel > User accounts, on this machine I can do all the functions an administrator is entitled. I am the only user with no other accounts created by me.

Anyway, if I am the only user with full functionality, doesn't that make me administrator by default? Just trying to understand.

Liggy

how about ctrl panel tools, folder options, view, use simple file sharing. uncheck box, now try that security tab.

OP
D

d4l3d

Broken In
Since I couldn't find the "use simple file sharing" I did a really quick search and found that the entry isn't present in XP Home. My fault. Didn't realize that made a difference.

OP
D

d4l3d

Broken In
Did you feel that subtle bump in space/time? I just heard from TuneUp support!

"We are aware of a permissions issue within the Winstyler portion of our
program which causes this error message. We will be releasing an update to
address the problem as soon as possible."

Hope that helps anyone monitoring this. Almost renews my faith in electrons.

A sincere thanks to everyone who responded, d4l3d

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom