FAVORITE DESKTOP ENVIROMENT

Which is your favorite desktop enviroment ?

• GNOME

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ICEWM

• XFCE

• FLUXBOX

• JWM

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
vignesh

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
I am the only one who voted for xfce.Its a good desktop enviroment and very light on resources.But wel every has to be different.

ujjwal

Padawan
I had a poll like this sometime ago, difficult to get many votes for something other than KDE/Gnome.

Some of the options are not desktop environments, but simple window managers, so anyway I will name my favourites from both areas.

FVWM has to be the greatest, fastest, most powerful window manager in existance. Every bit of it can be customised to make it look or feel like MVM, Windows 95, Mac, or anything you can imagine. You can customise the application window buttons, hey bindings, specify powerful functions to perform complex tasks, and what not. The problem is that configuring it is not so easy, and it can take quite a while. But you do have many sample config files available, which will help get you started quickly.

IceWM follows next in line, it is not as configurable as FVWM, but it has quite a decent out of the box look and feel, it provides a nice integrated taskbar, with a windows 98 look (menu, quick launch items, taskbar, clock), so it makes it good for people migrating from windows. Currently I am back to IceWM because I am facing certain problems with getting a net monitor to work on FVWM.

Blackbox is another nice one, switching between applications may be a little awkward at first, if like me, you maximise every open window. But on undersanding the little controls on its taskbar, it can be a very efficient and fast window manager.

Coming to desktop environments,

Although KDE is quite fast, I prefer XFCE to it for its simple elegance. It looks quite nice and provides a light alternative to Gnome.

EDE (Equinox Desktop Environment) is a very fast EFLTK based desktop, it resembles windows 9x in appearance and provides many good GUI tools for frequently used purposes.

kartik_mistry

Broken In
Gnome and KDE both! You should use checkbox for poll like this! But Gnome gets somewhat more marks as I use it as develop the things for it!

gauravnawani

Journeyman
Strangely enough no body talkes about enlightenment.

Its actualy one of the fastest despite the fact that it alredy have more eye candy than upcomming windows vista, and that all incredebly runs on CPU cycles, no graphics card(read opengl) needed but if you have one its is also supported.

I am actualy waiting them to complete the dr17, if they release it soon of course. Unfortunately for the uninitiated it will be tad difficult to work on it.

For the time being Gnome take the cake for more mature UI. Thie insistense of UI guidelines make it the neatest DE.

SHell

Broken In
GNOME is good but KDE provides a lot more applications.

Anywys i like GNOME for its simple user interface.

ShekharPalash

Web Entrepreneur
KDE only ... whenever... I go to zone-3 in the lab... once in a week...
GNOME tastes me like a overfried chocolate cake... lol... don't klnow why!

ujjwal

Padawan
Enlightenment is certainly among the fastest window managers I tried. Its speed is quite amazing for the amount of eye candy it displays. But I could never feel comfortable with its interface, and plus I dislike eye candy. Which is why I never used it seriously for a long period of time.

ujjwal

Padawan
FVWM official website - *www.fvwm.org/
Beginners guide - *www.zensites.net/fvwm/guide/
Screenshots with sample config files - *www.fvwm.org/screenshots/desktops/

OP
vignesh

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
I downloaded the rpm package for FVWM and ICWM nut both seem so small only 1.8 and 1 Mb.Is that all the size of the desktop enviroment.

ujjwal

Padawan
These are not desktop environments, as I said, they are window managers, that is, they provide the tools necessary for switching and controlling open windows. Desktop environments are window managers + extra tools like desktop shortcuts, common GUI utilities, applications, and some sort of a control interface for the system. But you do have small DE's like EDE ;)

Anyway, after installing these, create a new user to test them out, create a file .xinitrc in the /home directory of the user, and place the following lines -

Code:
#!/bin/sh

exec icewm-session

Replace icewm-session with fvwm2 for fvwm. Read their manpages for more info. To get started with FVWM from scratch, read the second link I gave. For a jumpstart, check the third link, see a screenshot you like, and dowload the .fvwm2rc file along with any other icons or tools from the authors webpage, and follow the instructions present. If just a .fvwm2rc is provided, copy this to the .fvwm folder in the /home directory.

OP
vignesh

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
How do I change the Gnome splash screen.I know how to do it n KDE.

@ujjwal does icwm just icewm or the filename of the rpm I installed ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom