FAVORITE DESKTOP ENVIROMENT

Which is your favorite desktop enviroment ?

• GNOME

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ICEWM

• XFCE

• FLUXBOX

• JWM

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Goto:
Start ->System Tools -> More System Tools -> Configuration Editor
Then in Configuration Editor, goto:
Apps -> Gnome-sessions -> Options
In Right-pane, change location of Splash-image to the location of any image that u want to set as splash screen. (U can even set a 800x600 or 1024x768 wallpaper as splash screen).

GNome Splash screen can also be changed from "/usr/share/pixmaps/splash".

sba

Journeyman
ujjwal said:
...Blackbox...
Blackbox is mentioned and Fluxbox is not??? Why?

I could not choose both KDE and Fluxbox so gave my vote to the former. I stopped using Gnome when Volkerdi stopped supporting it...so its just KDE or Fluxbox for me now :)

ujjwal

Padawan
It would probably have been more appropriate for me to have named fluxbox and openbox along with blackbox ... actually I like them all, but as blackbox was the original one and the first I used, so I named that. But yes, fluxbox has many new features and options that makes it the best of the three.

sba

Journeyman
Since you are a slackware user as well...I wanted to know that do you still have Gnome? I mean after it was dropped and all...
If yes then are you using dropline or the older version that came originally with Slackware 10.1?

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Thats K but i asked specifically FC4 mr.SBA ?
In Fc4 after u logout u r directed to the FC4 default session choosin page which sux...
Plz Hlp...

sba

Journeyman
KDE startup screen is known as splash screen for which I gave you the link but now seems to me that you are talking about Display Manager.

iirc Redhat used to use GDM as display manager so may be Fedora is using that as well. To install GDM themes, you need to run gdmsetup as root. More instructions here...
*www.formorer.de/debblue/faq.php#faq4

sba

Journeyman
Well it has to be some display manager...
Either it is GDM or KDM or XDM. Redhat 9 & Fedora Core 2 (that was when I stopped trying it) used to use GDM by default. If you are not sure then just launch a konsole window and type "pgrep gdm" without quotes and see if you get any output. If you do then you have GDM running else some other display manager...

ujjwal

Padawan
sba said:
Since you are a slackware user as well...I wanted to know that do you still have Gnome? I mean after it was dropped and all...
If yes then are you using dropline or the older version that came originally with Slackware 10.1?

I have not used gnome for a long time ... I found current versions to slow and bloated for my taste. But yes, Dropline and Freerock are some good options for gnome on slackware.

Aijaz Akhtar

Journeyman
Thanks Ujjawal for clearing some confusion about the desktop environments and windows managers. But then it occurred to me what the WM syands for in FVWM and TWM - Window manager or Window maker?

ujjwal

Padawan
"WM" would always stand for "Window Manager". Window Maker is a particular window manager which was popular some time back.

OP
vignesh

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
xpde is a small desktop enviroment.The latest version is not fully functional but you use the command line to use gnome and kde apps.It looks are like windows xp and its only less than 5mb

www.xpde.org

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom