Fast restart & shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil

Right off the assembly line
Can u somebody please tell me how to make a shortcut icon for Restart & Shutdown in Windows XP ???

sailendra

Journeyman
*aumha.org/win5/a/shutcut.php

Windows 2000 (with the Resource Kit installed) and Windows XP (natively) have an actual shutdown command that can be launched from a command prompt — and which, therefore, also can be launched from a shortcut. To see all available options for this command, click Start, click Run, and type:

SHUTDOWN /?

You can also study the available options in the Microsoft KB 317371, “How to Use the Remote Shutdown Tool to Shut Down and Restart a Computer in Windows 2000.� (The article is basically suitable for Win XP also.)

This command starts a 30-second countdown for a shutdown or restart, which permits you to abort it (with a shutdown -a command). It you want the command to execute, use the -t flag, which lets you set the time lapse in seconds. The examples below use a 1-second delay.

For a shortcut to RESTART Windows XP:
SHUTDOWN -r -t 01

For a shortcut to SHUT DOWN Windows XP:
SHUTDOWN -s -t 01

*aumha.org/win4/a/shutcut.php

SHORTCUTS TO SHUTDOWN & RESTART WINDOWS 95, 98 & ME

The Short Version (Win 9x)

The shortcut command line should be as follows:

For a shortcut to RESTART Windows:
C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL.EXE user.exe,exitwindowsexec

For a shortcut to SHUT DOWN Windows:
C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32.EXE user,exitwindows

The Long Version (Win 98/ME)
Tip from Bill Blanton & MS-MVP George Aker. See also MSKB 234216.

The command line should be as follows:

C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32 SHELL32.DLL,SHExitWindowsEx n

Where n is one of the following values, depending on the task you want to accomplish:

n=0 LOGOFF: Shuts down all running processes, logs the user off, then restarts the Windows shell. (Same as Logoff on the Start Menu.)
n=1 SHUTDOWN: Shuts down the system to a point at which it is safe to turn off the power. All file buffers have been flushed to disk, and all running processes have stopped.
n=2 REBOOT: Shuts down the system, then restarts it. (Same as Start Menu | Shutdown | Restart.)
n=4 FORCE: Forces all processes to terminate — in effect, shuts down all running programs. When this flag is set, Windows does not query running applications to inform them that Windows is shutting down. This can cause the applications to lose data, therefore, you should only use this flag in an emergency.
n=8 POWEROFF: Exits Windows, then turns off the computer’s power (provided the computer supports the power-off feature).
n=-1 RESTART EXPLORER: Quickly closes Explorer (i.e., the Windows desktop), then lets it restore itself.

These values are additive, in the event you want to do two of them at once. There are varying reports of success with some of these options. For example, inconsistent behavior reported with option 8 may indicate a different behavior with the powerdown system on a particular computer. The solution for this usually is to request both a shutdown and a poweroff by using n=9 (adding the 1 and 8). (Tip from MS-MVP Tom Porterfield.)

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Shutdown isnt standard part of W2k .. Its installed if you have Resource Pack installed ... You can use a third party utility on the same link given above .. Its a better alternative ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom