Fast internet but slow wifi!?

IronCruz

ICE COOOOL!!!
I use Digisol DG-BG4100N Wireless Broadband Router, with BSNL 4Mbps ULD plan. Everything was going smooth and fine, but recently, internet speed used through wifi has become slow-ish i guess. I came to know about it when i opened instagram and app got freezed/slow loading/not responding. I re installed app, cleared cache, wipe cache partition, still problem persists. But then i used Instagram in my office wifi and it's smooth. Also at home wifi, Slow image download in whatsapp. But then i used Speedtest on my phone, speeds were great under 60ms ping, 400kbps download speed and approx 60kbps upload speed. Im worried because i accidentally dropped modem twice while carrying around. I also feel slight slowness while browsing facebook as gifs load slowly ON LAPTOP(connected using Ethernet Cable). But also youtube video @360p loads pretty quickly. Also not buffering while watching at 1080p. Watched whole football match online with some errors on server side. Instagram freezes badly. I just want to know if my modem wifi has any issues!? Is there anything to look for or any setting to be tweaked!? Kindly help me.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Do you use the wifi alone or is it shared? When you share your wifi among multiple devices, most routers use QoS features to make sure that all devices get equal bandwidth, even if it means reducing the bandwidth of other devices.

OP
IronCruz

IronCruz

ICE COOOOL!!!
Do you use the wifi alone or is it shared? When you share your wifi among multiple devices, most routers use QoS features to make sure that all devices get equal bandwidth, even if it means reducing the bandwidth of other devices.

Yes!, i use two phones on wifi. But when only my phone is connected, i still have that problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Somehow it got solved. Following are the things i did.
Reset my router
Re installed Anti Virus.
removed temp, %temp% files.
Made a full scan of System.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
How different are the results when you do a speed test on a WiFi device and a wired device?
Try toggling options like QoS and WMM, try with enabled/disabled and check if there's any difference.

Try factory reset the router and reconfiguration of the settings again.

saswat23

Human Spambot
May be some system/app/antivirus update was consuming your bandwidth.
Use an app like Netbalancer to monitor your bandwith. You can get to know which app/process is consuming how much bandwidth of the total.

OP
IronCruz

IronCruz

ICE COOOOL!!!
How different are the results when you do a speed test on a WiFi device and a wired device?
Try toggling options like QoS and WMM, try with enabled/disabled and check if there's any difference.

Try factory reset the router and reconfiguration of the settings again.

QoS is disabled. What is WMM?
I did a factory reset. Now it's working fine :)

Thank you for all of your replies.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Good to know that factory reset resolved your issue.
WMM is 'wifi multi media' setting, With this enabled, in principle , router gives priority to multimedia content.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
If your router is supported, you could also try to install dd-wrt to get more control over your router.

Top Bottom