Status
Not open for further replies.

vamsi360

Always confused
Guys,

One claim. I just downloaded the Windows 7 Enterprise RTM 64-bit 90 day trail from Microsoft site. The first thing I am impressed is IE. IE 8 is the best browser I used till date. I really liked the speed, the UI and accelerators and the Favourited toolbar, webslices.

For the past 3 years I have heard that IE is waste and since the first time I connected my PC to the internet I just ignored IE. I think this unfair descrimination should be stopped. It is the end-user's choice of using IE because it is good and better.

It is the mags like Digit and the other popular online articles which make users go against their needs.

Anti-Microsoft is a bad thing. We should appreciate MS for it's excellent software and its developer tools. You shouldn't just campaign MS s*k* using a pirated, non-genuine windows and thinking as if you are the real customer of MS disappointed with it's features.

I repeat the above line again and again. I admit that I am true.

gtoX

Broken In
Every software ever made has bugs. Bugs are an indispensable by-products of code. This holds true for Microsoft products as well. A company with such a high profile is bound to receive heat for every product they shell out. But more than the number of bugs in its' products, MS is more criticized for not keeping up with its customer requirements. History tells us that Windows 95 was a really good upgrade from Windows 3.x, and Windows 2000 was a welcome relief from the largely hyped but very buggy Windows 98. Ditto is true for IE (although IE7 died without any warm receptions, probably because the world started warming up to Mozilla Firefox around the same time).
I have myself used a number of browsers, and yes, I do think IE8 is a lot better than its predecessors. The thing with Microsoft is that they add in a lot of "hidden" features into their tools, but most of them go unused. What they seem to need now is a better realization of what the customers want, and how to properly deliver it to them (ala less hype, and more informative to-be-released product features).

And as far as people using pirated software not getting to complain about the quirks in MS products goes, I would disagree. After all, people who complain (and thus end up informing the others about the problems) lend more to people opening up to problems with the softwares. I'd think that if the only people who bought the legitimate copies complained, then the number of complaints about MS products would drastically decrease. I am not trying to encourage piracy; just saying that comparing the existing shortcomings and exploits of MS software helps more people open up to open source alternatives.

Cheers,
gToX

Krow

Crowman
M$ and its Internet Explorer both suck. Now I am saying this purely because if it were really any good, then M$ would not need to put up a page on its website comparing IE8 to FF and Chrome and concluding that IE8 beats FF and Chrome 8/10 times. This is simple muckraking and trash campaign by M$. If your software is really good, then the users will say so and you don't need to go the dirty way. Since not many users are doing that, I'll stick to Opera/FF/Chrome, all of which are way better.

I hate all M$ ad campaigns which show Apple/Linux in bad light, simply because I believe that if a company was good enough, it would not sink to such lowly measures to promote its product.

OP
vamsi360

vamsi360

Always confused
M$ and its Internet Explorer both suck. Now I am saying this purely because if it were really any good, then M$ would not need to put up a page on its website comparing IE8 to FF and Chrome and concluding that IE8 beats FF and Chrome 8/10 times. This is simple muckraking and trash campaign by M$. If your software is really good, then the users will say so and you don't need to go the dirty way. Since not many users are doing that, I'll stick to Opera/FF/Chrome, all of which are way better.

I hate all M$ ad campaigns which show Apple/Linux in bad light, simply because I believe that if a company was good enough, it would not sink to such lowly measures to promote its product.

then what about the Apple ads and the Adds in the internet by free software foundation?

Krow

Crowman
2 wrongs don't make one right. There is absolutely no need for M$ to start such dirty campaigns. It is secure in terms of market share and user base. Making better and more secure software would go a long way in improving its reputation than such stupid campaigns.

Krow

Crowman
I just ask one thing....

Is this anti-M$ campaign by opensource fans right?
No, it is an anti-crap browser campaign by the whole world. :x

If you like IE8, then it is a really good thing. Show it to a few others and if they do like it, then even they will use it. No point in blaming the campaigners. IMO, M$ should stop posting nonsense about other browsers on its website and work on the IE browser, which can be improved by leaps and bounds even now. This is the last post I am making here. I'm out.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
errr... let's ignore everything else except the software that we get to use. In terms of perfomance, OSX Snow Leopard beats Windows 7 at doing almost anything... start up, shut down, multitasking, transcoding etc. But you cannot game on it. Linux cannot be considered because of how difficult and buggy (yeah it really is) it is to use. And how much effort you need to take to keep it running, and how much you need to know just to use it (not everyone is willing to dive that deep into their machines). So this leaves us with Windows as the only real and feasibly OS for general-purpose use. It is amazing for what it can do, but it is overpriced - no really really costly. That's just the OS, without anything on it. So we are allowed to throw brickbats at it for not doing what it should do. Since it is the most used, it deserved to be the most critisized as well.

OP
vamsi360

vamsi360

Always confused
Yeah...instead of using a pirated Ultimate version and searching for cracks it's better to buy Vista Home Premium OEM copy for about 5500/-

@Anorion

OS X is also overpriced (although upgrade is 3000/-) as the whole Mac bundle costs around 50000/- at minimum cost. I agree 100% that Linux is very buggy, difficult but also good for developing *nix apps.

But does paid service / software means that we should campaign against them? Good software is always respected like Windows.
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
-----------------------------------------
No, it is an anti-crap browser campaign by the whole world. :x

If you like IE8, then it is a really good thing. Show it to a few others and if they do like it, then even they will use it. No point in blaming the campaigners. IMO, M$ should stop posting nonsense about other browsers on its website and work on the IE browser, which can be improved by leaps and bounds even now. This is the last post I am making here. I'm out.

I don't know why people say IE8 as crap? Have you seen the developer tools in IE8? Have you seen accelerators, webslices?

I just don't understand why the people just strike off IE because they are said to do so virtually by others. Are you a programmer? If so you would understand that while IE is shipping with windows while upgrading the browser they should take the whole users in the world into perspective. It's not like Mozilla releasing firefox 3.1 and 3.5 in 7 months or like Google releasing a new chrome every 3 months.

See innovation doesn't always mean the end-user perspective as there are different audience like the enterprises also.

Last edited:

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
But does paid service / software means that we should campaign against them?
Linux too have paid support. And the basic OS is FREE. Now, check your pockets.

Good software is always respected like Windows.

"Respected"? huh...

I don't know why people say IE8 as crap? Have you seen the developer tools in IE8? Have you seen accelerators, webslices?

No, I didn't! Have you used Developer add-on s in Firefox?

I just don't understand why the people just strike off IE because they are said to do so virtually by others. Are you a programmer? If so you would understand that while IE is shipping with windows while upgrading the browser they should take the whole users in the world into perspective.

Yes, I'm a programmer. And still I didn't get you. Do you mean only IE gets upgrade and other browsers don't?

It's not like Mozilla releasing firefox 3.1 and 3.5 in 7 months or like Google releasing a new chrome every 3 months.
Ohh yeah, it's like M$ releasing patch for IE every week.

See innovation doesn't always mean the end-user perspective as there are different audience like the enterprises also.
And thats exactly why different OS exists.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Linux too have paid support. And the basic OS is FREE. Now, check your pockets.
Even the support sucks. They talk in a language that is absolutely alien to most users.
"Respected"? huh...
Yes. Respect. More than 90% market share, that's respect.
No, I didn't! Have you used Developer add-on s in Firefox?
err... wait .... that bloated software you call a browser that consumes 300KB+ RAM for 2 tabs? And then to troubleshoot you're the ones who say disable the addons :|
Yes, I'm a programmer. And still I didn't get you. Do you mean only IE gets upgrade and other browsers don't?
He means, that IE kicks @ss in numbers.
And thats exactly why different OS exists.
Yes. Server 2003/8/R2 for
industry. Ultimate, Home Premium, Enterprise, they all exist becuse there is an audience ;)

sreevirus

Certified Nutz
I'll be pretty brief here. If you Lingeeks feel Linux is an awesome desktop OS, I disagree. I'll repeat the same statement that I have repeated at two other places: "Gain a 7.25% DESKTOP market share, and then we will talk." (If you're intrigued by the specific percentage, I'm throwing in the 0.25% as bonus to y'all fellas.)

goobimama

 Macboy
SEVEN PERCENT! Pretty sure they won't even be able to gather 0.25%, let alone seven. Now watch as a lame L'user panzy raises his badly designed hand saying "we already have a measly 1% share! Oh yeah? So does the iPhone for god's sake.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
You're right goobi. I'm just a hopeless loser trying to make sense of Windows 7. Thankfully you are so great. Everyone, follow @goobimama on twitter. He's awesome.

/off to cry a shamefull Win7 install.

Last edited by a moderator:

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
Yes. Respect. More than 90% market share, that's respect.

LOL... Market share == respect? Thats most rubbish statement I've heard.
Can we ask for Windows "Server" market share?

err... wait .... that bloated software you call a browser that consumes 300KB+ RAM for 2 tabs? And then to troubleshoot you're the ones who say disable the addons :|
Gone those old days iMav. Come to real. Now Firefox is with better memory management. And wait... Did you forget there is Opera too. :p
And now don't say Windows 7 can't handle Firefox. :p

Yes. Server 2003/8/R2 for
industry. Ultimate, Home Premium, Enterprise, they all exist becuse there is an audience ;)
And now who the hell cries that Linux comes in many flavors and choice is confusing? :p

Krow

Crowman
SEVEN PERCENT! Pretty sure they won't even be able to gather 0.25%, let alone seven. Now watch as a lame L'user panzy raises his badly designed hand saying "we already have a measly 1% share! Oh yeah? So does the iPhone for god's sake.

Did you delete your previous post? The first sentence was damn funny! So many oldies popping up to trash Garbage. :lol:

But you should have kept that post. Lol @ Windows is a turd, through 8 and 9. That was a nice post goobi. We were started about browsers. OP liked IE 8 and said that fanboys were trashing it unnecessarily.

As a windows user I feel disgusted when I see such cheap and bull$1t ads on the M$ website. With a stable market share of 90%, it has no reason to post ads trashing other browsers or OSes. I know I Windows is good in its own place and I will use Linux/Mac where and when I want, but due to the application dependency of mine, I will have to use windows. Even without the ads I will still use windows. Why then does M$ attract criticism by posting such nonsensical ads. Does it need to go down to the muckraking level if it indeed is as respectful as its market share?

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
LOL... Market share == respect? Thats most rubbish statement I've heard.
Can we ask for Windows "Server" market share?
Server market share you're talking about the ones that host websites etc. That's because some shitty services like Apache. Talk about industries and corporations, they run Windows Servers ;) Infact the entire Reliance Commnuication has Windows Server 2003 at it's backend. :p

Gone those old days iMav. Come to real. Now Firefox is with better memory management. And wait... Did you forget there is Opera too. :p
Firefox after ver. 3 is utter crap. Keeps freezing the entire system! 3.5 is no better!
And now don't say Windows 7 can't handle Firefox. :p
on the contrary, people who abuse Windows & use Firefox, stop using Firefox and see how awesome Windows is!
And now who the hell cries that Linux comes in many flavors and choice is confusing? :p
Well, these are variants unlike the gazillion distros! Each with it's own dumb @ss problems!

Windows FTW!

Krow

Crowman
^Firefox keeps freezing the entire system? Are you by any chance on an ancient PII system? Or am I using a ultra optimised Firefox friendly version of Windows? Not a single freeze/crash for me since 3 months that I have used FF 3.5 under XP/7.

I know at least a hundred people who use windows and abuse IE and choose FF. None of them has even used Linux or Mac. Once they move from IE, they never return. What are you talking about?

Well, to say the least, Windows has its own problems too. It may rule the market share but it is far from perfect.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
^Firefox keeps freezing the entire system? Are you by any chance on an ancient PII system? Or am I using a ultra optimised Firefox friendly version of Windows? Not a single freeze/crash for me since 3 months that I have used FF 3.5 under XP/7.
Which parallel dimension are you living in? Firefox's memory consumption and antics are well known and acknowledged. ;)
I know at least a hundred people who use windows and abuse IE and choose FF. None of them has even used Linux or Mac. Once they move from IE, they never return. What are you talking about?
The crowd's opinion does not become wisdom. I've used every browser there is to decide, unlike people who hear from a friend who's heard from another friend who read it on some jack@ass' blog that Firefox is better ;)
Well, to say the least, Windows has its own problems too. It may rule the market share but it is far from perfect.
Who doesn't? Even God has a problem on his hands - Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom