F&D F5090 5.1 Multimedia Speakers

nipunmaster

MuSiC AnD GaMiNg
Hello everyone, I recently bought a FENDA aka F&D F5090 5.1 speaker set for my pc. The purchase price was Rs.11000 from a local store. I bought it mainly for music and some surround movies.

Here are its specs:
Subwoofer Frequency response:20Hz~120Hz
Satellite Frequency response:120Hz~20KHz
Music Power: 200W
Output power (RMS):
Front: 25W×2
Center: 25W
Surround: 25W×2
Subwoofer: 75W

more specs here :
F&D F5090 | 5.1 Home Theater Speakers | Multimedia Speakers

I must mention the weight here. The entire speaker package was around 22-25 Kgs. Specially the subwoofer was very heavy. The speaker comes with 4 stands for the speakers. All speakers have 25W of RMS power. The center speaker also has 25W, which is very useful if you are upto watching movies or playing games in 5.1 mode, as all the dialogues or vocals come from it. I found the center speaker to be loud enough for watching movies.

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachments/reviews/11892d1377089827-f-d-f5090-5-1-multimedia-speakers-img_2124.jpg

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachments/reviews/11893d1377089832-f-d-f5090-5-1-multimedia-speakers-img_2125.jpg

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachments/reviews/11894d1377089836-f-d-f5090-5-1-multimedia-speakers-img_2126.jpg

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachments/reviews/11895d1377089842-f-d-f5090-5-1-multimedia-speakers-img_2127.jpg

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachments/reviews/11896d1377089852-f-d-f5090-5-1-multimedia-speakers-img_2128.jpg

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachments/reviews/11898d1377089864-f-d-f5090-5-1-multimedia-speakers-img_2130.jpg
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachments/reviews/11899d1377089870-f-d-f5090-5-1-multimedia-speakers-img_2131.jpg
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachments/reviews/11900d1377089876-f-d-f5090-5-1-multimedia-speakers-img_2132.jpg
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachments/reviews/11901d1377089884-f-d-f5090-5-1-multimedia-speakers-img_2133.jpg

The stands add a good design element to the set of speakers. They come with a moderately long wire and some tedious assembly. I must warn here that the stands while having enough weight, do not stand as easily as expected. A slight jerk may topple down the speakers on the stands.

Now lets talk about the performance. After two weeks of listening to this, I can conclude that they are a real VFM for those who need a loud speaker with good mids and bass for them. I do feel that they lack the clarity or the sparkle in them in terms of high frequency vocals. The bass is very good, though it sound good after a week of testing it, and adjusting the proper location is vital. The bass can send shivers to the windows of your room if placed properly. I must tell that the surround experience was very good. I really enjoyed watching Ring 2 on it :D. The speaker boasts of dolby prologic decoding when playing in 2.0 source mode. It works as expected, no problem here. The only problem with the speaker is that they have a little less response for the high frequency range, not much problem for the regular user, but it may matter for the audiophile. F&D is a relatively new brand, it has done a nice job in providing VFM products.

Scores:
Design - 8/10
Center speaker - 8/10
Mid response - 8/10
Bass- 9/10
High freq. response - 6.5/10
Ease of setup - 7/10
Value for money VFM - 9/10

Overall - 8/10

Last edited:

onlytanmoy

Journeyman
very nice review Nipun and congrats on the purchase.

Few queries-

a. Can you please list the various Source inputs? It got a Digital Coaxial, Digital Optical inputs?
b. Are the speaker stands detachable? The speakers can be wall-mounted?
c. Is is a Side-firing Subwoofer?

OP
N

nipunmaster

MuSiC AnD GaMiNg
very nice review Nipun and congrats on the purchase.

Few queries-

a. Can you please list the various Source inputs? It got a Digital Coaxial, Digital Optical inputs?
b. Are the speaker stands detachable? The speakers can be wall-mounted?
c. Is is a Side-firing Subwoofer?

Thank you Tanmoy.
A)it only has analog inputs for 5.1 audio and a seperate 2 channel input for AUX.
B)the speaker stands are comepletely detachable and they can be reduced to half of their size. Also the speakers have holes for mounting on walls and they can be detached from the stands.
C)it is a front firing subwoofer, and for best sound, carpet flooring is good, I heard the demo at the store on a carpet floored room and it sounded very good.

sram145

Right off the assembly line
Hi nipun,

I am thinking about getting a 5.1 speaker for my pc and came up with the following list to select the best.

My usage is movies, games and music(in that order)

1. F5090
2. Edifier DA5000 Pro
3. F6000U

Queries:
1. Is F5090 is better than the other two mentioned above? (I hardly find any reviews about F5090 than the other two and i am quite skeptical about this but liked the tower design of speakers)
2. Do i need a dedicated sound card for the mentioned speakers(My MB is Asus M5A97)

Thanks in Advance.

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
Hi nipun,

I am thinking about getting a 5.1 speaker for my pc and came up with the following list to select the best.

My usage is movies, games and music(in that order)

1. F5090
2. Edifier DA5000 Pro
3. F6000U

Queries:
1. Is F5090 is better than the other two mentioned above? (I hardly find any reviews about F5090 than the other two and i am quite skeptical about this but liked the tower design of speakers)
2. Do i need a dedicated sound card for the mentioned speakers(My MB is Asus M5A97)

Thanks in Advance.

hello!

because nipun hasn't logged in here since quite some time, let me take the opportunity to reply to your query.

out of the 3, the best to watch movies is F5090, simply due to its powerful bass and loud speakers. for music, best of those 3 is Edifier DA5000 Pro, and you will need a good sound card like the Xonar DX to drive that system better. F6000U is a kind of does-everything-decently. for 1) and 2), i can't say if you will need a sound card for them. may be, borrow a card from some friend if any has it, and test for a day. so it mostly boils down to your preference. if movies, followed by gaming are your highest priority, then get F5090. if music-playback is going to be a regular feature, that too, some HQ music, then Edifier (its wooden satellites do re-produce quite good sound!), and if you're confused, then F6000U!

i believe you can still audition the F6000U at some stores, particularly, at 'more' megastore. do some recce. all the best!

baiju

Ambassador of Buzz
Look for Sony DTH HT IV300. Can be had for around 17.5K. It has two hdmi inputs, optical and coaxial inputs which will come handy if you want to enjoy 5.1 audio from hdmi or digital outputs.

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
agreed with the above post! if you can increase your budget, then certainly get a system that has digital inputs. they will surely (prove to) be useful!

sram145

Hello Buddy!

Thanks for the reply. I will check out this weekend and see if i can audition out.

sram145

agreed with the above post! if you can increase your budget, then certainly get a system that has digital inputs. they will surely (prove to) be useful!

Hi Ghormaanas and baiju,

Thanks for this suggestion. I think i can extend my budget to this if sound system proves to be better than the above listed 3 speakers in my post. Does it sound better?

baiju

Ambassador of Buzz
I haven't auditioned the sony system, can't say about audio quality. I mentioned it because of the connectivity options. If you can extend the budget look for Yamaha or Pioneer HT.

sram145

Ok. Thanks baiju. And more question!

My room size is like 12 * 12 size, would F5090(200W RMS) would be overkill? May be in a year or so i might move to a bigger home but for my this is my room size and i don't want to under utilize my speaker system when i am in this room :)

Flash

Lost in speed
No thread hijacking.. [MENTION=292643]sram145[/MENTION]
Ask mods to move the replies for you, to a new thread.

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
Ok. Thanks baiju. And more question!

My room size is like 12 * 12 size, would F5090(200W RMS) would be overkill? May be in a year or so i might move to a bigger home but for my this is my room size and i don't want to under utilize my speaker system when i am in this room :)

i won't comment on the speakers being overkill or not, but you will definitely have to lower atleast the sub volume-level most of time times during movie-watching, esp. if the audio of the movie is very good. two scenes come to my mind while i type this - the intro-scene of Kill Bill Vol .1 and its sudden gunshot sound, and the first battle shown in Master & Commander and the thundering cannons in the scene. such scenes/movies/sounds can definitely shake the daylights out of any unwary viewer, if the settings are not configured properly beforehand. ;)

onlytanmoy

Journeyman
[MENTION=120775]GhorMaanas[/MENTION]>> Have you ever had a chance to audition/ test the Logitech Z906 speakers? Please share your experience. Is it good for movies, gaming? I have an ASUS M5A97_EVO_R2.0 mobo which has Optical S/PDIF out port(s) at back panel. Can I use Toshlink optical cables to connect it with the z906 for superior sound quality? Please advise.

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
@GhorMaanas>> Have you ever had a chance to audition/ test the Logitech Z906 speakers? Please share your experience. Is it good for movies, gaming? I have an ASUS M5A97_EVO_R2.0 mobo which has Optical S/PDIF out port(s) at back panel. Can I use Toshlink optical cables to connect it with the z906 for superior sound quality? Please advise.

i haven't had any listening-experience with the Z906, but have had much feedback about them being very good, for gaming & movie-viewing, both, and esp., the optical input is a very handy feature. so yes, you could connect a TOSLINK cable i suppose. check a few reviews to confirm about that. but how much are you getting those for? in the past few months, the price of those speakers have soared to obscene levels. if quite high, then you may get a probably better class of an HT system for around that price.

Last edited:

onlytanmoy

Journeyman
[MENTION=120775]GhorMaanas[/MENTION]> thanks for your response...i am not buying them pretty recently..so haven't queried the price yet. I have also heard about good review feedback on the z906..people speak very high of this 5.1 system. My room size is 10x11. Planning to carpet the floor. I will be using the z906 with my PC to watch the movies downloaded via torrents. I am looking for a thumping bass and some good cinematic experience.

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
@GhorMaanas > thanks for your response...i am not buying them pretty recently..so haven't queried the price yet. I have also heard about good review feedback on the z906..people speak very high of this 5.1 system. My room size is 10x11. Planning to carpet the floor. I will be using the z906 with my PC to watch the movies downloaded via torrents. I am looking for a thumping bass and some good cinematic experience.

mention not! carpeting would anyway be good, and the Z906 would indeed fit the bill. don't worry anymore then, get them whenever you can.

onlytanmoy

Journeyman
[MENTION=120775]GhorMaanas[/MENTION] >> I was doing some study on the z906 and found that the 2 main cons with z906 are
a. Not Compatible With Digital Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD.
b. No HDMI Connectors.
Like I said, i will be hooking up the z906 to my PC via optical cable to watch movies downloaded via torrents, and not be using Bluray players. Do you think i can live without the Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD as the movies will be compressed anyway in terms of audio too?
Say, i download Transformers Trilogy Limited CE Complete Bluray 1080p TrueHD-7 1 DTS-HD DD-5 1 x264 from torrent and play the movie via Cyberlink PowerDVD, can i still enjoy the sound thru the z906? Am really confused :(

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
yes, even though a better source would want a better system to put out the sound through, for this particular scenario, am sure you would still be able to enjoy the aural-experience. additionally, you could use the analog connections in such a case as well, and check if you could discern any significant difference in the output via optical and analog for the said sound-streams. also, respite can be had in reflecting back on the fact that you are/were limited by your budget, and not by your choice. as i had written earlier, a critical point of note would be to check the speakers' current mkt.-price, and if you find that they are priced much more than their worth, or/and you have money to spare for a better system, then head the full-fledged HT way (ie, with AVR). though for only PC use in a smaller room, with the source being only ripped movies, it won't be a very good idea i suppose to cross the boundary over to the HT-segment. hence, i still deem Z906 to be a fit option in your budget (albeit, it shouldn't be overpriced), and understandably, you would've to compromise on a few features that (only) an advanced line of speakers provide, but it won't mar your experience IMHO. speaking of budget, what figure have you in mind?

Top Bottom