External HDD Which one 3.5" or 2.5" ?

User Name

In the zone
hi

I am going to buy an external HDD 1 TB USB 3.0 with backward compatibility.

My friend suggested that if you are buying 1 TB you must go for 3.5" i.e with external power supply. In 2.5" 1 TB your data may get corrupted as it is without external power supply. :sad:

But i want to buy 2.5" because of it's portability and you don't have to carry power supply cable.

Which one should i go for? :?

Also which is best buy WD or seagate? :?

Both Seagate and WD are the best buys as of now. Defiinitely go for the 2.5" one if you want portability. My friend has two 2.5" Seagate FreeAgent HDDs and they work just fine.

Seagate Expansion Portable 2.5 Inch 1 TB External Hard Disk (Black) @4100 (Cash on Delivery)

WD Elements SE 2.5 Inch 1 TB External Hard Disk (Black) @4099 (Cash on Delivery)

The above two don't require external power.

But if you want to buy a 3.5" HDD, get the one below. I think it needs external power.
Western Digital 3.5" 1TB Essential USB Desktop Drive @3450

OP
User Name

User Name

In the zone
thanx for reply.
Is there any prob of power or data corruption in 2.5" without external power supply HDD?

Also both the above HDD support USB 3.0?

thanx for reply.
Is there any prob of power or data corruption in 2.5" without external power supply HDD?

I don't think there should be any problem if you handle it judiciously. My friend hasn't had any trouble in the past 4 years of usage so there's nothing to worry about.

No USB 3.0 support for the 2.5" HDDs.
But the 3.5" one does have USB 3.0. Take your pick.

rajnusker

Sage of the Six Paths
thanx for reply.

About your first question, 2.5" drives are nothing but those which are used in laptops. They just put a SATA->USB connector and sell it like hotcakes. In simple words, data won't get corrupted unless you do something silly. Power is not a problem, 2.5" can be easily powered through USB. 3.5" on the other hands spins at a higher rate + requires more power = External Power Source.

tkin

Back to school!!
hi

I am going to buy an external HDD 1 TB USB 3.0 with backward compatibility.

My friend suggested that if you are buying 1 TB you must go for 3.5" i.e with external power supply. In 2.5" 1 TB your data may get corrupted as it is without external power supply. :sad:

But i want to buy 2.5" because of it's portability and you don't have to carry power supply cable.

Which one should i go for? :?

Also which is best buy WD or seagate? :?
ROFL, made my day, 3.5" powered drives are cheaper, but they lack portability, get 2.5" drives if you want portability.

pratik385

In the zone
dude
you can get 2 TB Seagate Freeagent goflex desk 3.5" @ 4.7k
if you have one 2.5 then opt for 3.5 with massive storage, you can use 2.5 one for portablity :)

OP
User Name

User Name

In the zone
Well i have 40 GB 2.5" external HDD (bought long time back).

now i want more storage space hence considering for 1 TB 2.5".

OP
User Name

User Name

In the zone
I just seen that prices of HDD increased. Will it good to buy right now?
Should i wait?

Flood Waters in Thailand Deepen Crisis at HDD Companies - Forbes

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
If possible, then yes, wait for some days and hopefully they will come down again inside 2-3 months.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
^^ He is talking about the two models posted by Gaurav Bhattacharjee.

P.S. As all of us know it already, price have been increased.

Top Bottom