External HDD & Pen drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
After having good & bad experiences with various companies as regards after sales service, I thought why not ask before buying. I'll be buying an external HDD (I'm thinking 320 or 500GB). I am not going for transcend in any case. So I thought about seagate. Anyone with comments on seagate's after sales service?

Also suggest a good (fast) pen drive of 8 GB. Kingston data traveller G2 which is the most easily available is not very fast I suppose. So, any suggestions? (Once again, I'm in no way buying a transcend).

If you want to know the reason for my aversion to transcend, read this: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126832

One more question, what is the full form of RMA?

Akashtaker001

Right off the assembly line
Seagate FreeAgent is a very good choice I prefer it over other brands. The seagate service is really good also.
You can also consider Western Digital ones I have heard that there service is very good but haven't experienced it myself.

For pendrive Go for Corsair Flash Voyager GTR they are really fast.

RMA is service provided by companies to get you a replacement of your under warrenty HDD.

I just purchased a new seagate 500GB free agent go !!!!!!
Very good HDD comes with loaded software like movie maker,encryption etc
looks really cool as compared to WD
Price diff between seagate and WD is only Rs100
I got mine for Rs 4.2k

OP
Cool Buddy

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
enquired in the market today, seagate 500 GB is Rs. 4000 & 320 GB for 3100.
Since portability is not that important to me, I thought I'd buy a 500 GB 3.5inch internal HDD and a case. Would it be a good option? Does using a case void warranty?

OP
Cool Buddy

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
OK, can someone please tell me if a case necessarily requires an external power adapter or there are options with 2 USB cables?
Also, is it safe to use a hard drive fitted in this type of case for extended period of time continuously? (Like downloading directly into it using uTorrent for 3-4 hours every day)

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
OK, can someone please tell me if a case necessarily requires an external power adapter or there are options with 2 USB cables?
Also, is it safe to use a hard drive fitted in this type of case for extended period of time continuously? (Like downloading directly into it using uTorrent for 3-4 hours every day)

Most of external casing will have a separate power adapter. The 2 USB cables which you're saying is too weak to power such a big HDD. Using it 2-3 hours is completely safe. Just make sure you take care while transporting it as being an internal HDD they are not made rugged to absorb shocks & bumps.

OP
Cool Buddy

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
I read something about case with built in fans, are they available in India? It would be really nice as the reviewer had written it keeps the HDD very cool.

sujoyp

Grand Master
yaah cases with fans r available from long back...I have a tech-com case which i bought 4 years back have a fan:)

OP
Cool Buddy

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
How much did the case cost?

Since you're using an HDD with case, please do answer my previous question too. Whether it is safe to download directly into it using uTorrent (continuosly for 3-4 hours daily)? It won't heat up much?

static_x

In the zone

Since you're using an HDD with case, please do answer my previous question too. Whether it is safe to download directly into it using uTorrent (continuosly for 3-4 hours daily)? It won't heat up much?

1. I would recommend using an internal HDD as an external drive using either an external case or docking station. External casing do come with a fan and you may like this one:

*www.jeffsreviews.com/Images/comp%20hard%20mar09-/airbox%20sml/sunbeamtech%20airbox%20sml.jpg

For details see the link below:

*overclockershq.com/hardware-reviews/sunbeamtech-airbox-3.5-esata-usb-external-enclosure-review.html

This is available in India @~ 1.7K Onwards. This is definitely a good choice because of the fan and the eSATA connectivity provided.

2. You can use it for n number of hours provided you dont keep the unit in some close space.

3. Fast Pendrive = Corsair
Fastest Pendrive = Corsair GT

Last edited:

sujoyp

Grand Master

The case was for Rs. 600-700..Made of aluminum and had a fan at back..

I used it for copying/backup data from one place to other...never used it continuously that much.

My friend used it as a store drive and used to connect it permanently...and access movies , document all the time..

Not much heating issue...with that much usage

OP
Cool Buddy

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
Thanks For the replies.
@static_x, the link didn't open (I'll try again tomorrow). However, I wanted a case because internal HDDs are cheaper, with this case I'll end up paying as much as a 500 GB Seagate 2.5 inch external HDD. So, I wanted to spend upto 600-700 on the case. But after enquiring today, it seems cases are not easily available here (in Kolkata), let alone a case with fan. So I might just plug it inside my cabinet.

OP
Cool Buddy

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
Can anyone tell me the price of Cooler aster Xcraft 350 (305" case). I think it should be around 1200-1500 bucks. But what is this: *www.ikonicit.co.za/index.php?target=products&product_id=1897

Are they really giving it away for <400?! can this site be trusted?

---------- Post added at 05:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:29 AM ----------

And just figured out, what's this: *www.ikonicit.co.za/index.php?target=products&product_id=156

A seagate 500 GB HDD for Rs. 510, what's wrong here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom