External HDD or Internal HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

navino87

In the zone
Now i am using 80 GB Hitachi SATA II internal hdd which is not sufficient for me... So i am planning to extend my comp storage capacity with one more 120gb hdd...

I have few questions regarding this:

Which one to go for? Internal or External???
What are the advantages n disadvantages of using an external hdd instead of an internal hdd???
Can we run OS, Games, applications etc... using an external hdd???
Is the data transfer rate is less in the internal hdd compared to an external hdd???
What will be the cost of an external 120GB???

Thanks in advance...

codename_romeo

Romeo + Lucifer = ME
Well i will advice you to go in for a Internal HDD.
Reasons:
1> External HDD are costlier.
2> Internal Hdd have better transfer rates

Have a nice time.....

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
navino87 said:
Which one to go for? Internal or External???
Internal

navino87 said:
What are the advantages n disadvantages of using an external hdd instead of an internal hdd???

+=>can be carried to any place as it is made so that i can be carried..more sturdy than internal one
-=> slow transfer rate
will take up ur place on computer table

navino87 said:
Is the data transfer rate is less in the internal hdd compared to an external hdd???
Yep

shantanu

Technomancer
Internal drives are bit more faster runs of UDMA 6 but external are usb and hi speed usb works on i think 480 mbps and no comparision to INTERNAL ONES
better stability and performance .

IF you want good performance then exchange your current HDD for a 250Gb sata 2 3.0 seagate will cost you around 3100/- and if you exchange then your dealer might take your drive for 1500/-

so attaching two drives isnt great coz making raid and all dont seems pretty nice.. to me (PERSONAL THOUGHT) plz dont take it otherwise

ashisharya

In the zone
internal drives r fast, inexpensive n much better performance than external hd. u can exchange ur hd as said by shantanu. else u can keep 2 hd but not recommeded.

suman2005

Broken In
If you run a HDD in an external eSATA case then you will get the same speed from the HDD as it gives when attached internally. I have a Vantec eSATA case and this gives me data transfer speeds around 62MB/s. Only downside to this case is the price - 3.5k :(

shantanu

Technomancer
suman2005 said:
If you run a HDD in an external eSATA case then you will get the same speed from the HDD as it gives when attached internally. I have a Vantec eSATA case and this gives me data transfer speeds around 62MB/s. Only downside to this case is the price - 3.5k :(
the internal HDDs speed 62mb/s
and external casings burst connect speed is 62mb/s but it you use it with esata the guys not having that so it will work on USB SPEED

and not very vast command queing

NCQ
and all in suggested 250GB sata seagate 300mb/s sata 2

OP
N

navino87

In the zone
Thank a lot guys...

Ok, now from your comments i have decided to go for internal hdd...

As i have some very personal data in my hdd i cannot sell my old hdd.. Instead can i go for an 120gb sata2 hdd???

So that i can use the old 80gb hdd to install OS's and applications. And the new 120gb hdd to store my personal data, Games, Movies, Image files etc...

What is the disadvantage if i use 2 hdd???

n which hdd to go for???

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
navino87 said:
As i have some very personal data in my hdd i cannot sell my old hdd.. Instead can i go for an 120gb sata2 hdd???
Yes

navino87 said:
n which hdd to go for???

Western digital>> SEAGATE..any even Hitachi is good if u do not haVe any bad experince with it ;)

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
shantanu_webmaster said:
GO FOR SEAGATE OR SAMSUNG ONLY REST ALL CAN BE ALITTLE DANGEROUS TO BUY I HAVE HAD A BAD EXP.. so

U had bad experince with WD??? (western digital)

shantanu

Technomancer
NOPES SORRY DIDNT MENTIONED

GO FOR SEAGATE , WESTON DIGITAL , SAMSUNG ,, hitachi caused be a big problem

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
shantanu_webmaster said:
NOPES SORRY DIDNT MENTIONED

WD is the best ...but hard to find....else SEAGATE rules ;)

shantanu

Technomancer
yeah i AGREE to you....

:) UsED WD IDE 40gb quite a long back and it had a mind blowing data transfer rates... an dya its really hard to find specially SATA

:))

suman2005

Broken In
shantanu_webmaster said:

On the other hand ... I have had problems with Seagate and Maxtor HDDS and have used Hitachi HDDS excusively for the last 2 years and now I have 8 Hitachi HDDs from 80 to 320GB - all are running fine. How many Hitachi HDD did you have problems with ?

There is a long thread over at the Storagereview forums about problems with the Seagate 7200.10 HDDs - they seem to be many people complaining about noisy and dead 7200.10 HDDs. I dont think these Seagates are as bad as the IBM 75GXP series or the Seagate 7200.8 or the Maxtor DM8 and DM9 series. Seems every HDD maker has had their bad series at some time or other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom