External Hardisk

vaibhav23

In the zone
Friends i had before made a thread to buy a 1TB HDD but my father later told that don't buy a HDD now:shock:(mind changed) and told me to buy when I buy the pc.
But now really needing more space after requesting him for a week he has agreed to buy me a external hard disk.
I want to buy a 1TB hard disk so suggest me the lowest cost one as it will remain at home and so size of it does not matter.
Lower the cost better for me:p

OP
vaibhav23

vaibhav23

In the zone
Is this one good:
Western Digital 3.5" 1TB Essential USB Desktop Drive - 3200(smcinternational.in)

Get Seagate GoFlex 1Tb HDD that requires external power. should cost around 3.5k
Requires external power . What does that mean?:oops:

Sarath

iDota
External power mean that the USB/ e-SATA/ Firewire port that it will be connected to is insufficient to power it and hence it will have a seperate adapter that needs to be connected to the power outlet to run the external HDD.

Usually seen with most external HDDs.

Only(?) the portable HDDs do not need external power and run through USB just fine.

OP
vaibhav23

vaibhav23

In the zone
The 2.5" hard disk do not need a power adapter.
I am now thinking of buying an internal hard disk and putting a case on it and then use it.Is that good

Prime_Coder

I'm a Wannabe Hacker
Buying an internal HDD and then using it as external HDD seems to be good idea. but u will need to buy the case with USB cable.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
I am now thinking of buying an internal hard disk and putting a case on it and then use it.Is that good

total cost will exceed the cost of an external storage & it'll be bulky. will need external power. in the end, a 1Tb external HDD is the better deal.

mitraark

Decrepit
Seagate GoFlex 1TB , just buy it. RS 3200 i think.

External Casing are very bad idea, they are much bulkier .

ajayritik

Technomancer
Sorry for hijacking this thread. I currently have a 40GB IDE Internal HDD. I would want to convert this into external HDD and preferably without the additional external power chord.
Is that possible?
Ishu here mentions that USB3 doesn't require power cable additional.
How much would this cost? The last time I enquired I found that one brand called Enter costs around Rs 350.

Kanra

Broken In
USB3 version doesn't need external power.

That's not a hard and fast rule. I have 2x2tb wd essestials which are usb3 enabled and also require external power. External power requirement will depend on the hhd used in the product and its' power requirements. Low powered hdds similar to those used in laptops are used in usb powered solutions however these are expensive to produce so more inexpensive version will be available with external power.

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
That's not a hard and fast rule. I have 2x2tb wd essestials which are usb3 enabled and also require external power. External power requirement will depend on the hhd used in the product and its' power requirements. Low powered hdds similar to those used in laptops are used in usb powered solutions however these are expensive to produce so more inexpensive version will be available with external power.
I was just saying that the Seagate GoFlex Desk edition (ie the bigger one not the laptop one) can work without external power.

Obviously you need a USB3 port to supply the power.

Souro_Ray

In the zone
I bought a 1TB Seagate Expansion External Drive for Rs. 3120 all from a shop called Technocrat in Chandni Chowk, Calcutta.. This was about 2 months ago..

By rule of thumb, about 8% of storage is eaten up as always.. so you get about 930GB of storage..

It comes with a USB connection wire and a power cord with adapter.. You need to plug the USB to the comp and the adapter to the spike buster or plug point...

Seagate Expansion External Drive is basically your internal storage with casing.. It is barebones storage, with no kind of data encryption.. It is only USB 2.0 compatible and cannot be upgraded to USB 3.0..

The Seagate FreeAgent Desk looks really cool :) ... But also stuck to USB 2.0

The FreeAgent GoFlex Desk has upgradability to USB 3.0, which results in faster transfer speeds as you can guess.. This thing is pretty big!

Your choice... I took Expansion Ext Drive because i didnt need data encryption or upgradability to USB 3.0 at that time.. Just an external data storage solution...

Sorry if i confused you... Cheers bro

Last edited:

ajayritik

Technomancer
Any suggestions folks on how I can go about doing this?

Sorry if i confused you... Cheers bro

You did. Primarily I'm looking to convert an internal HDD to External rather than buying an external HDD here.

Looking for someone to suggest how I can go about doing this!

Tenida

Gadget Freak
^^You need casing that convert IDE to USB 2.0.Frontech,TECHCOM and Enter made this type of casing but don't know about its availability as IDE HDD is slowing dieing now.Yes you need external power adapter to power the HDD comes with the package.I have this type of casing lying unused if you need it just pm me.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
total cost will exceed the cost of an external storage & it'll be bulky. will need external power. in the end, a 1Tb external HDD is the better deal.

That's not true. casing costs max 500, 1TB HDD costs 2600. total 3100. I don't think external HDDs are available at that price.

and there's no rule that 8% disk space is used. The rated capacity of the HDD is calculated taking 1000 instead of 1024 as the factor of units (sorry for not being able to express it properly)

So whereas in reality 1GB is 1024MB, a HDD only has 1000 MB for every GB mentioned. Similarly, there is 1000KB for 1MB and 1000 bytes for 1KB

So a 500GB hdd actually has [500*1000(MB)*1000(KB)*1000(bytes)/1024/1024/1024] GB that is 465 GB of space.

When the capacity is measured in TB, you'll need to multiply by 1000/1024 one more time to get the capacity

Souro_Ray

In the zone
@Cool Buddy,

Thanks for the correction, bro.. I always came across a 7-8% difference, so i quoted the percentage... :p

Sorry, my bad...

PS: i got my 1 tb external drive for 3120 all.. I dont know if the prices have gone up recently...

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
Actually, I forgot to write that even if casing one costs a couple of 100s less, it's best to avoid them as they never feel as sturdy as actual external HDDs. Even though they are the same thing, seagate etc. build much better casing for the HDD than the ones available in the market.

ajayritik

Technomancer
^^You need casing that convert IDE to USB 2.0.Frontech,TECHCOM and Enter made this type of casing but don't know about its availability as IDE HDD is slowing dieing now.Yes you need external power adapter to power the HDD comes with the package.I have this type of casing lying unused if you need it just pm me.

You may be right I check with some stores they are saying IDE one external casing may not be available. :(

Top Bottom