External harddisk!!!!!!!!!!

Tenida

Gadget Freak
I am planing to buy an 1TB external drive but i am confusing which one to chose WD My book essential or seagate freeagent desk.Please suggest me guys.........

royal

Padawan
Where are you planning to get ur HD from? I am on the lookout for one, although 1.5/2 TB version of WD :razz:

pushkar

Journeyman
buy any brand, but buy two of them ;-)
If this is so that one can be a mirrored backup of the other, do NOT buy both drives at the same time and from the same place. Make sure both drives are from different batches of manufacturing. I have heard at least 5 incidents where someone bought two identical drives; after some time, one hard drive failed, and after just few days, the other drive failed as well (the people didn't think that the other drive would fail so soon, so they didn't take any extra backup). Chances of both drives failing around the same time are higher if they are exact same drives from the same batch.

Last edited:
OP
Tenida

Tenida

Gadget Freak
I am planning to buy from vedant computers or md computers(kolkata)

---------- Post added at 02:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 AM ----------

@pushkar i am not buying both the hdd at the same time.I will buy only one 1TB Hdd at a time.

insaneYLN

In the zone
Are you planning on purchasing the hard drives with a dedicated power adapter??

is it worth it considering that electricity in India is plagued with problems?

why do you not consider the Seagate FreeAgent GO 1TB? also Seagate gives you a 5 years warranty on its products compared to the 3 years period provided by Western Digital.

pushkar

Journeyman
Rhitwick meant buy any one from seagate or WD, do not buy any other brand. He did not mean buy 2 HDDs
No he did not. It seems pretty obvious from his post that he means buying 2 drives. I don't know how you are getting that meaning from his post.

OP
Tenida

Tenida

Gadget Freak
I have 500 GB seagate freeagent desk with power adapter which works very well and as far are power related problem i am not facing any problem.I have also belkin surge protector which protects my external HDD.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Le....controversy from my post.

I meant to buy him two drives.

Because I don't believe the3se backup drives. Can fail anytime irrespective of the brand u bought. So, yes, we all need backup of backup.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
When one has a backup, it already creates 2 copies, one original & one backup. So why should one buy 2 backup drives. That's why I mis-interpreted your post

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
^ one should buy two backup drives because.

The internal drive may or may not be of same capacity of ur backup drives.
The docs that pile up in ur internal HDD may need to move to some other place to make way for new data.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
lol, talking of serious data backup. One can think that seriously only if the data is critical. So i missed the point. For me, the photographs taken with my digicam is the only critically important data that I keep multiple copies of

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
I don't know how many years it would have taken me to get over the fact that I lost all my photos if something like that were to happen to me. best is to backup your most critical data to some website like adrive.
But that also gave me a slip sometime back. I used to use g.ho.st to backup some data. I had backed up around 300-400 MB (most favourite pics). I used it coz it was the only service giving me ftp access. then one day it announced it would no longer be free and gave a week's time to get any data that might be lying there. I just wanted to see what all I had backed up coz everything was there on my HDD. but the site never opened in that one week and is no longer accessible now.

Piyush

Lanaya
the best utility right now is NORTON GO BACK
its just like the time machine of a PC

if the file system is NTFS,then it allows upto 8gb storage for backup for each drive
ad i havent tried FAT32
may be fat32 will include more storage space

Top Bottom