External Hard Disk

Shashwat

Broken In
I am running out of my laptop hard disk, so I am thinking to purchase an external hard disk of 1Tb. But I dont have any idea how it behaves. I have some questions,please help.
1. How it works actually like a pendrive or what?
2. Can I make partitions in it?
3. Can I install an os and other softwares in it?
4. How can I protect datas inside this?

The most important thing is that which 1 I should purchase which will be cost worthy and fast enough.

Please suggest..

nims11

BIOS Terminator
1. no it doesnt use flash memory. it uses the technology similar to Hard disk inside your computer.
2. yes
3. yes
4, encryption is a method to do so.

Do you want portable external Hard disk or non-portable one? in case of non-portable, you have to use a power adaptor for the hard disk and it is size is more compared to the portable counterpart. Also, do you need USB 3.0 connection?

OP
S

Shashwat

Broken In
1. no it doesnt use flash memory. it uses the technology similar to Hard disk inside your computer.
2. yes
3. yes
4, encryption is a method to do so.

Do you want portable external Hard disk or non-portable one? in case of non-portable, you have to use a power adaptor for the hard disk and it is size is more compared to the portable counterpart. Also, do you need USB 3.0 connection?
My laptop is not supporting USB 3.0. You have suggested for non-portable. What about portable external hard disk? In case if it is you,which you will prefer?

nims11

BIOS Terminator
i have not suggested non-portable. its your choice. if you will be carrying it around with you, then a portable one is recommended.

OP
S

Shashwat

Broken In
Go for WD Passport drive....for good built,performance & support

apps are provided with the drive which can sync the data,backup & also password protect the data inside HDD

Thanks.. But suggest me which product I will go for, like transcend or anyother?
I have something more 2 ask, how it will work actually, means to see the data inside, will I have 2 boot from it from BIOS or it will be shown in My Computer when it will attach?
If I install an OS how can I work with that?

Alok

Adventurer
WD refers to Western Digital

You won't have to boot it , your system will automatically detect it and show in my computer.
get and you'll be familiar.

When you install os , it'll be like dual boot (if an os is already in main HD)

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Thanks.. But suggest me which product I will go for, like transcend or anyother?
I have something more 2 ask, how it will work actually, means to see the data inside, will I have 2 boot from it from BIOS or it will be shown in My Computer when it will attach?
If I install an OS how can I work with that?

WD is a very good brand...

& if u have worked with pendrives then the external HDD works in a same way :-D

johnybravojr

Broken In
I was wondering if I can use the HDD to view downloaded movies by hooking it up to my TV or DVD Player. Both have USB ports, and the TV can play almost all formats. May be I can find a way to use HDMI port(something like USB to HDMI adapter of sorts)??

@Zangetsu: I posted just to LOL for this->"A good girlfriend saves 20GB of your computer space... "

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
I was wondering if I can use the HDD to view downloaded movies by hooking it up to my TV or DVD Player. Both have USB ports, and the TV can play almost all formats. May be I can find a way to use HDMI port(something like USB to HDMI adapter of sorts)??

yes u can watch from external HDD by connecting it to TV (via usb). :-D

johnybravojr

Broken In
I think some peripheral device like format to use.... Some supporting software can be installed in that.... You feel hard by using the external hard disk....!

I'm sorry, but I tried as much as I could. Can you please be clear as to what you are saying?

Top Bottom