External Hard disk suggestion

Hi friends, i am planning to buy a 2 TB external Hard disk [with power adapter] primarily for backup as my laptop's internal 750GB hard disk is full and i have lots of movies and shows to backup. I wont be moving the hard disk regularly so i opted for an external version. In flipkart seagate expansion 2TB is available for Rs.6674. Is it ok to proceed with buying it. My budget is Rs.7000. Can i expect any further price drop in coming months among external hard disks.? Kindly provide suggestions

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
I've got a wd elements se 2tb and the warranty policy is great
I dropped mine once and they replaced it for free
Only drawback is that its a USB 2.0 but I get the same speeds as my 3.0 drives so its a fast 2.0 drive

OP
R

rakesh-the gilli

Journeyman
I've got a wd elements se 2tb and the warranty policy is great
I dropped mine once and they replaced it for free
Only drawback is that its a USB 2.0 but I get the same speeds as my 3.0 drives so its a fast 2.0 drive

Yes I saw the WD Elements SE 2TB in another website for around Rs.7xxx. As it doesn't support USB 3.0, i didn't opt for it.
What about the HDD that i quoted, can i go ahead and purchase

Time for an update. I saw in flipkart that Seagate expansion 2TB was retailing for Rs.6192, which is a sweet 500rs lesser. Hence placed an order. Phew..

OP
R

rakesh-the gilli

Journeyman
please post your experience with it later

Yes definitely i will be sharing my experience after i get the product. FYI, Flipkart changed the price from Rs.6192 to Rs.6674 back within a day. So i am happy that i ordered on the only day when the price was Rs.500 less.

Product is expected to ship on October 23rd as per my email order summary

And moderators thanks for moving this thread to the proper place..

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Yes definitely i will be sharing my experience after i get the product. FYI, Flipkart changed the price from Rs.6192 to Rs.6674 back within a day. So i am happy that i ordered on the only day when the price was Rs.500 less.

Product is expected to ship on October 23rd as per my email order summary

And moderators thanks for moving this thread to the proper place..

Seagate is a great hdd maker pls post ur transfer speeds if u can :))

OP
R

rakesh-the gilli

Journeyman
Hi everyone. I got my Hard disk delivered yesterday by afternoon (ordered october 19). I was expecting it to be delivered today. Nevertheless, the package was good. The connectivity cable provided is USB 3.0 SuperSpeed. Inorder to ensure that the hard disk was not damaged during transit i tested its working, cable fittings with ports as soon as i got my hands on it. Also using Hard disk Sentinel software i tested it for bad sectors, confirmed it is brand new by checking its power on time using the software. Happy with it :)

Sorry i couldn't test transfer speeds. I will test and post it as soon as possible.

If there is any specific software with which i can check transfer speeds rather than random file copy tests kindly say so

maheshn

Journeyman
Hi everyone. I got my Hard disk delivered yesterday by afternoon (ordered october 19). I was expecting it to be delivered today. Nevertheless, the package was good. The connectivity cable provided is USB 3.0 SuperSpeed. Inorder to ensure that the hard disk was not damaged during transit i tested its working, cable fittings with ports as soon as i got my hands on it. Also using Hard disk Sentinel software i tested it for bad sectors, confirmed it is brand new by checking its power on time using the software. Happy with it :)

Sorry i couldn't test transfer speeds. I will test and post it as soon as possible.

If there is any specific software with which i can check transfer speeds rather than random file copy tests kindly say so

Try Crystal Diskmark, at

Code:
*crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskMark/index-e.html

and Crystal Diskinfo at

Code:
*crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-e.html

Both are free, well known and stable software and will allow you to export results to text.

:)

OP
R

rakesh-the gilli

Journeyman
Try Crystal Diskmark, at

Code:
*crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskMark/index-e.html

and Crystal Diskinfo at

Code:
*crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-e.html

Both are free, well known and stable software and will allow you to export results to text.

Thanks for the links. I will soon carry out the benchmarks and post the results

Top Bottom