Ext2 Installable File System for Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

din

Tribal Boy
EDIT by Din - Mods, please delete this, I see some thread with same info now :(

I am really sorry if this is already posted, please feel free to delete the thread in that case.

Source : An email from the Cochin Lug

If you currently have Windows running and you realize that you need some files for your work which you have stored on an Ext2 volume of your Linux installation, you no longer have to shut down Windows and boot Linux!

It provides Windows NT4.0/2000/XP/2003/Vista with full access to Linux Ext2 volumes (read access and write access). This may be useful if you have installed both Windows and Linux as a dual boot environment on your computer.

The "Ext2 Installable File System for Windows" software is freeware. It may be copied and distributed free of charge as long as no modifications are made in the software and no components are added or removed.

Will not work if u install linux on LVM

*www.fs-driver.org/download.html

Last edited:

Pat

Beyond Smart
There is a software that makes it possible to access not only ext2 but also ext3 partitions from windows :)

*www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Pat, the Ext2 driver can also read and write to Ext3 drives. Don't use this DiskInternals one, I hate it personally since it crashes on huge read/writes. Use the fsdriver one, it works just fine!

Pat

Beyond Smart
^^ Oh I see, I have never used either of them personally.But just heard about diskinternals, hence posted :)

does this mean I can safely convert my Multimedia partition, for storing static non-executable data to EXT3 and expect it to work on windows ?

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Convert? I think you would have to format the drive anyway, for NTFS/FAT to EXT2/3. But yes it works flawless like how ntfs-3g works on Linux. (Improper reboots are the only screwers, and need a proper shutdown from the OS at fault last)

maddy_in65

Journeyman
I have a problem with FS driver, previously i had gusty on my system, at that time i had installed FS driver on vista, then i am able to read and write ubuntu at that time.

However after relaease of hardy, i had deleted that partiton and did a fresh install of hardy. however after i cant find the newly created linux drive. I again installed FS drive, still i cant find the drive.

Convert? I think you would have to format the drive anyway, for NTFS/FAT to EXT2/3. But yes it works flawless like how ntfs-3g works on Linux. (Improper reboots are the only screwers, and need a proper shutdown from the OS at fault last)
I am forever searching for a tool to convert FAT32 to EXT3, since I happen to care a LOT for my music.

On second thoughts, I don't want my multimedia collection to be accessable by windows xp because its a buggy severely holed OS which can easily be infected by the pendrive of a friend. :(

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Symantec's Partition Manager does it or so I've heard, but the most used way is either the repeat-rinse-repeat one if not the classical backup-format-and-move. (Partition managers do the rinse repeat automatically for you)

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
On second thoughts, I don't want my multimedia collection to be accessable by windows xp because its a buggy severely holed OS which can easily be infected by the pendrive of a friend. :(
my multimedia files never got affected by intrusion, if any :rolleyes:

my multimedia files never got affected by intrusion, if any :rolleyes:
I get pendrives from guys who need to format the OS to install games since the OS gets infested with viruses a week after install. This guy I am talking about formats monthly.

Besides, just think it over - do you think there is any point in letting the multimedia partition remain FAT32 when neither do I play music via windows nor do I like common windows software to play my music since I became addicted to Kaffeine ? I heard EXT3 is much more recoverable than FAT32, and its much more fast since its a Journalising File System. Also, I can have no-execution tag in the mount rules to ensure that a partition without any executables is not foolishly used to execute something. This can also guard the partition.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^Yeah but a better choice is to convert it to ntfs, just coz u will be able to access it easily from either OS.

I dont login to XP frequently, just when the antivirus need to be updated. All other time its Ubuntu ftw.

Have a 80GB drive converted to ext3 but now its sad that I cant access it normally through XP.

^^Yeah but a better choice is to convert it to ntfs, just coz u will be able to access it easily from either OS.

I dont login to XP frequently, just when the antivirus need to be updated. All other time its Ubuntu ftw.

Have a 80GB drive converted to ext3 but now its sad that I cant access it normally through XP.
I am suffering a LOT with NTFS :mad:
I am not able to get it to mount if I don't shut down windows properly.
Besides, EXT3 is much more advanced and secure and fast than NTFS.
I need to login to windows if and ONLY if I need to run any game in the NTFS partition named "Games". For everything else, there is Sidux.

So what advice now ?

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
yeah as u like. but converting the partition is a risky process, backup your data. A powerout can screw whole HDD. EXT 3 is more advances but once a data gets deleted there is no recovery for that.

I always shutdown windows properly, for linux the fastest method is REISUO :D

yeah as u like. but converting the partition is a risky process, backup your data. A powerout can screw whole HDD. EXT 3 is more advances but once a data gets deleted there is no recovery for that.

I always shutdown windows properly, for linux the fastest method is REISUO :D
ext3 has got a great undelete software :D

but I don't know any FS changers :(

I guess I would have to go the old fashioned way by transfering all my data to DVDs and spend a hell lot of time and money :(

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^O is for shutdown :D

ext3 has got a great undelete software :D

but I don't know any FS changers :(

I guess I would have to go the old fashioned way by transfering all my data to DVDs and spend a hell lot of time and money :(
yeah but its hard to recover when its formatted :!:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom