[Query] EXT HDD Includes Seagate Recovery Services ?

blackbird

Journeyman
Dear friends,
Would like to know what is this addition on external harddisk of Seagate mentioning of "Seagate Recovery Services"
Is it really free ?
1610952929411.png

Does anyone had any experience with it ?

Currently i suffered loss due to recovery (25k loss) of WD 2TB Passport external hdd failure (under warranty).
I am planning for Buying 2 different brand and sync them (as raid or just sync). WD & SEAGATE.
And found this on amazon Seagate external hdd product page.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Please go through this. I think the service is free of cost if included with product warranty type. But it would be better to contact seagate for clarification.

*www.seagate.com/in/en/support/warranty-and-replacements/limited-consumer-warranty/
*www.seagate.com/in/en/services-software/seagate-recovery-services/resources/

avichandana20000

Cyborg Agent
Yes it does data recovery.
The process is like this.
1) Go to Seagate website. Register your product.
2) Go to support and chat with an agent about recovery. You will get a mail and REPLY with YES(as an answer to the terms & conditions)
3)Then you will get another mail from the courier(generally UPS) and take printouts of the docs they have provided.
4) Put the drive in any box with shock absorbers like bubble paper or sponge. Keep it open for inspection. They will paste the print outs around the box after inspection.
5) Keep your Aadhar card xerox ready ( Indian Customs rule)

The disk will be delivered to Amsterdam,Netherlands Lab of Seagate and will be returned after 20 to 25 days. All your data will be in a NEW DRIVE password protected. You will get mails time to time about the progress.

6) Finally UPS will contact you and deliver the drive after paying THE PRICE THAT INDIAN CUSTOMS took.(usually 5k to 6k). So basically Seagate is not taking anything , you are paying o INDIAN CUSTOMS only.

If you approach STELLAR to recover it ,they will charge huge amount.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes it does data recovery.
The process is like this.
1) Go to Seagate website. Register your product.
2) Go to support and chat with an agent about recovery. You will get a mail and REPLY with YES(as an answer to the terms & conditions)
3)Then you will get another mail from the courier(generally UPS) and take printouts of the docs they have provided.
4) Put the drive in any box with shock absorbers like bubble paper or sponge. Keep it open for inspection. They will paste the print outs around the box after inspection.
5) Keep your Aadhar card xerox ready ( Indian Customs rule)

The disk will be delivered to Amsterdam,Netherlands Lab of Seagate and will be returned after 20 to 25 days. All your data will be in a NEW DRIVE password protected. You will get mails time to time about the progress.

6) Finally UPS will contact you and deliver the drive after paying THE PRICE THAT INDIAN CUSTOMS took.(usually 5k to 6k). So basically Seagate is not taking anything , you are paying o INDIAN CUSTOMS only.

If you approach STELLAR to recover it ,they will charge huge amount.

Very useful info. So did you go for it ? For which drives Seagate offers this free data recovery service ?

avichandana20000

Cyborg Agent
Very useful info. So did you go for it ? For which drives Seagate offers this free data recovery service ?
gone through this process for my office hard drive several times. Those drives of Seagate that comes with the adv posted by blackbird are eligible for the service

bubusam13

Human
whill they recover hard drives that are not covered by this service. I have a old HDD that I need to recover.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Perhaps they will but they might charge for it.

Alternatively, you could contact some India based data recovery service and see how much they quote for the recovery. But it's usually upwards of 20k depending on the issue with the HDD.

bubusam13

Human
I found many through India. Many asks to send the HDD for analysis. Any suggestions ? Also I have confidential data.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I haven't contracted any of them so far, but I know of one named Stellar.

From what I have read about them, they will maintain confidentiality and once they recover the data you can go and privately verify that everything is correct. But it's also very costly, so it may or may not be worth it depending on how important the data is.

You may want to check their website and get all the details: *www.stellarinfo.co.in/

I found many through India. Many asks to send the HDD for analysis. Any suggestions ? Also I have confidential data.
Yes, they will take your hard drive to diagnose the issue, you may also have to pay them a small fee in advance for the diagnosis. Once they determine the issue, they will then either do repair or recovery, from what I've read, they will also give you daily updates as to the progress.

Top Bottom