explorer restarting while clicking

Status
Not open for further replies.
hii guys

i am facing a strange problem in my window xp sp3 c2d 2.66 n 4 gb ram

problem is that i have organized my collection of pics n video in different folder like i used to store movie with their subtitle in seperate folder under the head of one folder called MOVIES now when i am clicking on the folder called movie to open it opens but when i am opening a folder which contain only movie file my system hangs and then have to cancel the operation via task bar result in restart of explorer...i can play the movie via built in browser of media player but cant via directly
in other word if i am opening any folder which contain only movie then my system hangs

i am using vlc player n KIS 2009 fullly updated ....have already scanned my system plz tell me what to do

Disc_Junkie

Call me D_J!
hii guys

i am facing a strange problem in my window xp sp3 c2d 2.66 n 4 gb ram

problem is that i have organized my collection of pics n video in different folder like i used to store movie with their subtitle in seperate folder under the head of one folder called MOVIES now when i am clicking on the folder called movie to open it opens but when i am opening a folder which contain only movie file my system hangs and then have to cancel the operation via task bar result in restart of explorer...i can play the movie via built in browser of media player but cant via directly
in other word if i am opening any folder which contain only movie then my system hangs

i am using vlc player n KIS 2009 fullly updated ....have already scanned my system plz tell me what to do

Can you retract the lines bolded? I didn't understand the meaning. Did you mean when you double click the folder it hangs or when you open a movie file?

If it hangs when you open a folder, then I think those movies are in thumbnails and are in large number for which a lot of memory is needed to display them together simultaneously and a lot of processing power is required. Check by unticking the Thumbnails view in the View bar.

It can also take place due to messing up of FFDShow. Uninstall the player with the codecs and try. It may work fine. KLite is a good media player. Use that!!:smile:

Last edited:
OP
A

ashishstillthere

Journeyman
sorry for that line

i mean i have one folder called "movie" which contain sub folder containing different movies and my systems hangs when i am opening a folder which contain only movie file not a single file of different type then my system hangs

like D:---MOVIE(no problem)--->folder(raaz 2)-->system hangs

Disc_Junkie

Call me D_J!
Then the problem is likely to be with ffdshow. Uninstall the codecs and the player and check!!
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
And also install them again

Last edited:

expertno.1

Technomancer
Hmm , are you able to browse the folder via media player ? (files-open then browse) or just you are playing the video with shortcut link ? Are you sure that you are able to play movie in media player that is in the hanging folder ?

Go to run , type cmd , if your movies directory is in x drive then type x: and enter .
Type chkdsk . Try this , might be the folder got corrupted. Where x may be c,d,e etc, ur drive letter

OP
A

ashishstillthere

Journeyman
ffdshow is a image filter whcih comes installed when you install a codec package such as vlc. Some error may have crept in. Uninstall vlc and reinstall and it would solve the problem.

ffdshow is a image filter whcih comes installed when you install a codec package such as vlc. Some error may have crept in. Uninstall vlc and reinstall and it would solve the problem.

i have already did that but no result

Hmm , are you able to browse the folder via media player ? (files-open then browse) or just you are playing the video with shortcut link ? Are you sure that you are able to play movie in media player that is in the hanging folder ?

ya i am be able to browse the folder via media player

i am playing video from its location via browsing

ya i am able to play every file via browsing instead of going direct to the location of the file

my system hangs very next moment when i am opening the folder containing the video file even i am not be able to click on the file n now i just noticed that i am not be able to acess my one partition coz in the root of that partition there is a video file
Posted again:
Go to run , type cmd , if your movies directory is in x drive then type x: and enter .
Type chkdsk . Try this , might be the folder got corrupted. Where x may be c,d,e etc, ur drive letter

here is the report

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\ashishstillthere>F:

F:\>chkdsk
The type of the file system is NTFS.

WARNING! F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
File verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
Index verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...
Security descriptor verification completed.

90590503 KB total disk space.
84729104 KB in 22014 files.
10596 KB in 1614 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
100827 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
5749976 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
22647625 total allocation units on disk.
1437494 allocation units available on disk.

F:\>chkdsk

Last edited:

expertno.1

Technomancer
That seems a problem with the explorer.exe

Can you please post the hijackthis report here , i might help then .

Also try to repair your xp instal
lation using the cd .

Waiting for hijackthis report .

OP
A

ashishstillthere

Journeyman
here is the log file

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 9:37:34 PM, on 4/5/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP3 (6.00.2900.5512)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Unlocker\UnlockerAssistant.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\USB Disk Security\USBGuard.exe
C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Nokia\Nokia PC Suite 7\PCSuite.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\ashishstillthere\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxsrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 120\StarWind\StarWindServiceAE.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\TUProgSt.exe
C:\Program Files\PC Connectivity Solution\ServiceLayer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\PC Connectivity Solution\Transports\NclUSBSrv.exe
C:\Program Files\PC Connectivity Solution\Transports\NclRSSrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ymsgr_tray.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\ashishstillthere\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Google Talk Plugin\googletalkplugin.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: IEVkbdBHO - {59273AB4-E7D3-40F9-A1A8-6FA9CCA1862C} - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 2009\ievkbd.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In SSV Helper - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVP] "C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 2009\avp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UnlockerAssistant] "C:\Program Files\Unlocker\UnlockerAssistant.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [USB Antivirus] C:\Program Files\USB Disk Security\USBGuard.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Persistence] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdobeCS4ServiceManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\CS4ServiceManager\CS4ServiceManager.exe" -launchedbylogin
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime Alternative\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PC Suite Tray] "C:\Program Files\Nokia\Nokia PC Suite 7\PCSuite.exe" -onlytray
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AlcoholAutomount] "C:\Program Files\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 120\axcmd.exe" /automount
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Google Update] "C:\Documents and Settings\ashishstillthere\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe" /c
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Messenger (Yahoo!)] "C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe" -quiet
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\RunOnce: [nltide_3] rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSectionEx nLite.inf,C,,4,N (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\RunOnce: [nltide_3] rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSectionEx nLite.inf,C,,4,N (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\RunOnce: [nltide_3] rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSectionEx nLite.inf,C,,4,N (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\RunOnce: [nltide_3] rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSectionEx nLite.inf,C,,4,N (User 'Default user')
O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to Banner Ad Blocker - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 2009\ie_banner_deny.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Web traffic protection statistics - {1F460357-8A94-4D71-9CA3-AA4ACF32ED8E} - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 2009\SCIEPlgn.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: C:\PROGRA~1\KASPER~1\KASPER~1\mzvkbd.dll,C:\PROGRA~1\KASPER~1\KASPER~1\mzvkbd3.dll,C:\PROGRA~1\KASPER~1\KASPER~1\adialhk.dll,C:\PROGRA~1\KASPER~1\KASPER~1\kloehk.dll
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Kaspersky Internet Security (AVP) - Kaspersky Lab - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 2009\avp.exe
O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Acresso Software Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: ServiceLayer - Nokia. - C:\Program Files\PC Connectivity Solution\ServiceLayer.exe
O23 - Service: StarWind AE Service (StarWindServiceAE) - Rocket Division Software - C:\Program Files\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 120\StarWind\StarWindServiceAE.exe
O23 - Service: TuneUp Drive Defrag Service (TuneUp.Defrag) - TuneUp Software - C:\WINDOWS\System32\TuneUpDefragService.exe
O23 - Service: TuneUp Program Statistics Service (TuneUp.ProgramStatisticsSvc) - TuneUp Software - C:\WINDOWS\System32\TUProgSt.exe

--
End of file - 6762 bytes

Krazy Bluez

Banned to Spam
You have no virses running...this may be due to corrupted Explorer.exe, try running "sfc /scannow" to check if there are any problems...

paroh

Padawan
Start | Run REGSVR32 /u SHMEDIA.DLL

this will deregister Windows Media DLL wich assecces File info for details/thumbnails etc

Test your issue/problem WiTHOUT rebooting - then if it goes away - Reboot and try again - post results

in order to ReRegister, in case no luck;
REGSVR32 /i SHMEDIA.DLL

expertno.1

Technomancer
REGSVR32 /u SHMEDIA.DLL

here regserver is the program for managing dll (dynamic link library) files , that you can say act like plugins for windows for extra information or managing some particular process .
If you had installed some program which showed info for the media files , it had registered with the media dll to show info for the files . but due to some reasons (got corrupted) it was unable to show info and your system hanged .

/u stands for unregister , thats what shmedia.dll got unregistered and came to the default by windows , you can say your media info plugin got unistalled (or dll got resetted)

And you are happy now :grin:

rajeshjsl

AskRajesh
It depends on which codecs and media players have you installed . And dont forget to mention any video/audio conversion soft .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom