EU could force Microsoft to bundle Firefox/Opera/Safari with Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

squid

Broken In
The European Commission could force Microsoft to bundle Firefox with future versions of Windows.

The revelation came as part of Microsoft's quarterly filing with the Security and Exchange Commission. Among the statements is a clause outlining the penalties being considered by the European watchdog, which recently ruled that Microsoft is harming competition by bundling Internet Explorer with Windows.

The most interesting situation outlined in the filing would see either Microsoft or computer manufacturers forced to install Firefox, Chrome, Opera and Safari by default alongside Internet Explorer on new Windows-based PCs.

If Microsoft is forced to bundle other browsers, then windows 7 will have firefox by default when it is released at least in EU

Source
*www.pcpro.co.uk/news/245994/eu-could-force-microsoft-to-bundle-firefox-with-windows.html

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
This is blasphemy, this is madness....This is EUUUUUUUUUU

Why should Microsoft bundle a product with Windows which they did not create, which doesn't follow the Windows' native UI guidelines, doesn't follow the Windows recommended way of creating an application, isn't made in Managed Code, creates memory leaks, doesn't follow DEP API (Chrome), doesn't integrate well with Windows Internals.??? If they have to integrate, then better take over K-mellon & integrate that.

If some customer has some problem they will call Microsoft for some thing they did not create. Why why why...

If Microsoft is forced, I personally recommend Microsoft to file an antitrust case in EU & U.S court claiming that Apple is monopolizing the Mac OS market by bundling Safari in Mac OS & all linux distro should also be forced to include Opera & Konqurer too.

shri

Always Fresh!
When I want to buy a product, I would prefer the one that has more features and can get me going once I install it.
For ex a car accessories manufacturer may complain that the car maker is killing competition by selling cars with alloy wheels or mp3 player or fog lamps.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
@ Gautam

Ah!...how good I will feel the day U turn 18 & have some sanity compiled in your brain's kernel :D

The other browsers are available to be installed in the Repository when the user wants but by default only Firefox or Konqurer is installed.

Well, in case of Windows, the other browsers are available to be installed when the user wants, but by default IE is installed.

Whats the difference here due to which Windows is blamed? Oh & by the way, EU wants Microsoft to pre-install other browsers, so with this logic Ubuntu should also come with Opera, Chrome, Konqurer pre-installed.

@ Gautam

Ah!...how good I will feel the day U turn 18 & have some sanity compiled in your brain's kernel :D
May 31st. This year. :p
Gonna miss being a minor, because it hurts the pride much more when a minor pwns you than when a 50 year old uncle pwns you :lol:

The other browsers are available to be installed in the Repository when the user wants but by default only Firefox or Konqurer is installed.

Well, in case of Windows, the other browsers are available to be installed when the user wants, but by default IE is installed.

Whats the difference here due to which Windows is blamed? Oh & by the way, EU wants Microsoft to pre-install other browsers, so with this logic Ubuntu should also come with Opera, Chrome, Konqurer pre-installed.

there is a BIG difference. in ubuntu, its not 3rd party servers which host konqueror.

and people always use ubuntu by "choice" and they are fully aware of the various things available with it. Its true to a much larger extent when it comes to Power Distros like ArchLinux and Gentoo. Every detail is chosen personally here.

Nothing is "forced" upon you. You are always free to replace Nautilus with PCManFM (the way I did :D) in Ubuntu. You can also replace both Gnome and KDE with Xfce. And everything is made available to you openly.

Ubuntu does not try to hide the fact that there exists a browser called Midori for linux or that there is a file manager called rox for example.

Within the OS, in Synaptic, you have a list of all available software for ubuntu, atleast, a HUGE MAJORITY. This is what EU expected MS to do with Windows N editions, and they did do it, when the users were presented with a list of media players available and links to their web pages.

Finally, ubuntu has a microscopic market share compared to Windows XP or Windows Vista. I guess anti-trust laws are valid only for high market share products. If I remember right, for a similar reason, AT&T was <dismantled> to two companies to reduce its monopoly. I know laws suck, but hey, there is little you can do about it. Remember apple's patent of "rectangular windows" ? :rolleyes:

But yes, only the most ignorant of ignorant people would prefer to always stick to the defaults and be afraid to install a 3rd party software. I have seen people who use a computer for the first time asking questions after a few sessions like "can the background picture be different ?", "why can't you put the X button on the left side ?" etc.

Hence the fact that this rule was imposed by EU itself is amusing. I may not like IE, but I would still buy windows standard instead of windows N edition simply because I don't give a DAMN.

PS: Imagine Windows 7 having an N edition. Windows Seven would become Windows seveN :lol:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
May 31st. This year. :p
Gonna miss being a minor, because it hurts the pride much more when a minor pwns you than when a 50 year old uncle pwns you :lol:

Yeah, must be feeling great isn't it...too bad u severely lack the experience of this industry.

and people always use ubuntu by "choice" and they are fully aware of the various things available with it. Its true to a much larger extent when it comes to Power Distros like ArchLinux and Gentoo. Every detail is chosen personally here.

People use IE because they chose to, no one is forcing them to use IE. They can very well install some 3rd party browser.

Nothing is "forced" upon you. You are always free to replace Nautilus with PCManFM (the way I did :D) in Ubuntu. You can also replace both Gnome and KDE with Xfce. And everything is made available to you openly.

Too bad there are not many good alternate shells for Windows, but do u know that you can replace with Explorer with Aston completely. Nothing is forced upon u either, u just get something easy to start with.

Ubuntu does not try to hide the fact that there exists a browser called Midori for linux or that there is a file manager called rox for example.

Is it written in Ubuntu's help files? How does Ubuntu tells you that there are other file manager out there? Does ubuntu gives u an option to select your preferred file manager during installation?

Within the OS, in Synaptic, you have a list of all available software for ubuntu, atleast, a HUGE MAJORITY. This is what EU expected MS to do with Windows N editions, and they did do it, when the users were presented with a list of media players available and links to their web pages.

Ever heard of Windows Marketplace?

Yeah, must be feeling great isn't it...too bad u severely lack the experience of this industry.
Not really. It hardly feels like anything because I would still be doing the same things I did before. Its not as if I am getting married as soon as I turn 18 or something. I am still ME :D

People use IE because they chose to, no one is forcing them to use IE. They can very well install some 3rd party browser.
I said that.

Too bad there are not many good alternate shells for Windows, but do u know that you can replace with Explorer with Aston completely. Nothing is forced upon u either, u just get something easy to start with.
I said that too.

Is it written in Ubuntu's help files? How does Ubuntu tells you that there are other file manager out there? Does ubuntu gives u an option to select your preferred file manager during installation?
Yes its written. Also check out the official online ubuntu manual. Its much more broader and updated. It nearly taught me EVERYTHING I need to know about ubuntu. You have cool hacks, tips, tricks and some nice ideas to replace stuff. Using it even a n00b can do things he never dreamt of doing on installing linux.

Ever heard of Windows Marketplace?

Yeah. Too bad there is no such thing I know as a windows marketplace explorer, which is intergrated to add/remove programs and which can be used to directly search for apps all over the net using categories. If it existed it would have made life much easier for people. Would have been much more useful than that Games Explorer on Vista.
Anyway, marketplace has way too little choice. Hardly any apps.

And yeah, for future reference, I already said several things which you repeated

MetalheadGautham said:
But yes, only the most ignorant of ignorant people would prefer to always stick to the defaults and be afraid to install a 3rd party software. I have seen people who use a computer for the first time asking questions after a few sessions like "can the background picture be different ?", "why can't you put the X button on the left side ?" etc.

Hence the fact that this rule was imposed by EU itself is amusing. I may not like IE, but I would still buy windows standard instead of windows N edition simply because I don't give a DAMN.

PS: Imagine Windows 7 having an N edition. Windows Seven would become Windows seveN :lol:

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
So I jump to the debate.

Great decision EU. :clap:
Microsoft from the beginning are following unethical promotion of its software by deviating standards, often using their monopoly to force their products and standards on others repeatedly. Even if they claim to make/follow the standards they woefully deficient to their words. Take case of OOXML. Hell...It has such crappy documentation...
Speaking of Internet Explorer, Has it EVER been a standards following browser? No. They were the last to past the old Acid2 test and using the dominance of the standards have pushed IE to a limit which is well beyond unethical.
Contrary wise, they also used popularity for pushing their standards...
Also IE(Trident) is the only browser which is NOT cross platform and IS A PAID SOFTWARE. Yes you get it right IE is a PAID software because you need WGA to run it or in other words a Windows License and a result you cannot even run it in WINE w/o Windows license. While Firefox and Opera are available for all major OS, and are also FREE of cost for ALL OS. And Safari is on both Windows/OSX and also is based on Webkit and in Linux/*BSD/Solaris, we have various browsers with Webkit.

I guess MS is getting the dose of its own medicine...

Ubuntu does not stop Opera or Chrome coming out with their own distributions, with those browsers installed. Unfortunately Microsoft licensing does not allow that.

They are forced...by virtue of ignorance

EU YOU ROCK...
:)

Next thing I hope EU forces MS to port MS Office to Linux/FreeBSD/Solaris.:D

Last edited:

chooza

Journeyman
@ Gautam

Brother, Dont you know that in this forum maximum like to hate or curse Microsoft. I think whole day the work they do is to search the new which is anti MS. and please dont say anything about Linux, google or FF. They are their god. Tumko Ukhad denge.:D:D:D

vamsi360

Always confused
hey....no wars Everyone has his/her own superior opinion and their own interests.

I dont think Microsoft software are bad. They are great. Dont criticize them on the ground that you use Linux/BSD/Solaris.
Just be sure that you are using all to increse your productivity than to criticize others. If one feels superior go ahead and create your own geeky OS and apps and make exclusively for you. Meanwhile donot bang good software

Jayanth.M.P

Journeyman
I dont understand the idiocy of these europeans...........Windows is a microsoft product and IE a tool in it. Who asked these dumbass euros not to download and install firefox, opera or which ever browser they feel comfortable with.

The same EU allows all kinds of things to be bundled with linux. Linux can bundle programming tools, office tools, browsers, email clients etc etc etc......

Its very obvious here.... Microsoft is a US company and EU just cannot tolerate it.....they will never change their colonial mentality.

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

what? I didn't know that MS is putting users at gunpoint and making them install windows.

ah. People are able to install more number of browsers in windows than in Linux. And nobody is forcing you to use IE on windows.

www.download.com. As simple as using synaptic.

Finally, ubuntu has a microscopic market share compared to Windows XP or Windows Vista. I guess anti-trust laws are valid only for high market share products. If I remember right, for a similar reason, AT&T was <dismantled> to two companies to reduce its monopoly. I know laws suck, but hey, there is little you can do about it. Remember apple's patent of "rectangular windows" ? :rolleyes:

Why can't EU say that Apple should make itunes available for linux. Apple has lion's share and by giving it only for windows/mac, they are creating monopoly as users need to have mac/windows pc to use itunes. :)

coz they are bunch of acchholes!!!

Do they have to use anything else if what they have is doing the job without any headache.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
^ The problem IMO is not only restricted to which browser people are using but also of standards. Unfortunately till now, IE has never been a standards following browser and has set its own "standards". As a result web developers code focusing on IE alone and leave other browsers unattended.
As an implication of this these web sites do not render as well in other browser as in MSIE, putting other browsers at a disadvantage.
This would have never happened if IE had followed standards and MS had been ethical.
And I dunno why you guys are reacting angrily to this, MS is not stopped bundling IE, rather they are forced to bundle other browsers which is a win-win situation for consumers and web developers.
As for "An App not following Windows guideline", oh please...MS could modify FF src code and also of Webkit...to make it integrated with Windows. Hell they could also call it Microsoft Firefox or Microsoft Iceweasel or IE Webkit or something :-D

I dont understand the idiocy of these europeans...........Windows is a microsoft product and IE a tool in it. Who asked these dumbass euros not to download and install firefox, opera or which ever browser they feel comfortable with.

The same EU allows all kinds of things to be bundled with linux. Linux can bundle programming tools, office tools, browsers, email clients etc etc etc......

Its very obvious here.... Microsoft is a US company and EU just cannot tolerate it.....they will never change their colonial mentality.

They (US' Crappy Laws) don't allow Linux distros to bundle Media Codecs due to stupid damn patents. I scarcely think MS faces anything close to as bad as this.

Last edited:

NucleusKore

TheSaint
It would be better if they had an option to uninstall internet explorer than bundle other browsers. It's an insane ruling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom