ENGINEERING: to get a job faster, and a high pay

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
Hi! just now entered Engg. IT 2nd year guys. Learned C Last year. This year C++

Do you think CCNA / CCNP or these kind of courses help to get a good package during placement?
I have practical experience with small networks, and good experience in computer hardware & software, a geek...

so..what should I do? to get a job faster, and a high pay. am not a IITian.

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
U + (DSA + Algorithms) = Google, facebook, amazon etc. [starts ~ 10Lpa+]

U - (DSA+Algorithms) = TCS, CTS etc. [starts ~ 3Lpa]

the choice is yours

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
First thing is choose a language and stick to it. Popular choices : JAVA and/or C/C++
what subjects do you have in your syllabus?

Anyway these subjects are there in almost all streams
start with these
Math: Objective isn't to become a mathematician but to become a programmer who knows these
1. linear algebra & discrete algebra
2. Discrete maths

Others:
1. start learning different popular data structures
2. learn time complexity and space complexity of different algorithms
3. See the default implementation and Implement yourself your own version of few data structures like: stack, que, Linked List, Set, Tree, Map etc, so that you will know how these data structure's internal works
4. Learn to improve Data Structural and algorithmic efficiency of a given solution to a problem
5. try to solve and Implement all algorithmic problems in your syllabus + take help from your Professors
6. Learn about terminal cases
7. Any solution you produce always test with a large data set let's say 1 million or more, this is important cause when you will learn sorting / searching most colleges teach these with a data set of 10-20 items so to you(student) with a core i3 system will not see any difference in time consumption between quicksort vs merge sort

After you are comfortable with basic DS and Algos implementation(it can take atleast 4-5months) go and participate in online code competitions. Don't be discouraged if you can't solve any problem at begining. It may take time to learn how to approach a given problem.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth

the choice is yours

Those companies, first, need to come in campus recruitment.
IDK, which college our OP is pursuing his Engineering. Unless its top notch college getting placed in Google, MS, Facebook or Amazon is tough as a fresher.

I've not heard these companies going for off-campus too.

So, if these are not coming as recruiter in your college, let me not dishearten you but TCS, IBM, Accenture or Capgemini are your safe bet.

OP
kARTechnology

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
Those companies, first, need to come in campus recruitment.
IDK, which college our OP is pursuing his Engineering. Unless its top notch college getting placed in Google, MS, Facebook or Amazon is tough as a fresher.

I've not heard these companies going for off-campus too.

So, if these are not coming as recruiter in your college, let me not dishearten you but TCS, IBM, Accenture or Capgemini are your safe bet.

My college has Microsoft Innovation Center but still no idea what it does as no one has told until now. I see using the systems for playing multiplier games during college fest.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
My college has Microsoft Innovation Center but still no idea what it does as no one has told until now. I see using the systems for playing multiplier games during college fest.

If possible get the list of companies that came to your college for campus recruitment in last 5 years.
Most chances they would repeat.

Prepare yourself according to that.

If you see only service based companies (TCS, Infosys, Capgemini, CTS etc) are the trend prepare in DBMS, C/JAVA, J2EE.

For certifaction, chose either MS path of Java path.

MS : .net related certifications ans courses
Java : Java related all courses or certifications.

And, apti....before these companies get to weigh you on your technical knowledge, you need to pass the aptitude tests.
Prepare for that well enough to reach technical round.

If the product oriented companies (MS, Facebook, Yahoo, Amazon etc) do not come for campus recruitment, you can always join them once skilled enough.

b/w for service based industries, the pay package is kinda same i.e. 3-3.5 Lacks/Anum

If you are looking for job soon after finishing B.Tech this is the starting package you might just get.

For higher pay package, go for MBA. Another two years. Average starting pay package would be 8-10Lacks/anum.

Hope that helped.

OP
kARTechnology

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
If possible get the list of companies that came to your college for campus recruitment in last 5 years.
Most chances they would repeat.

Prepare yourself according to that.

If you see only service based companies (TCS, Infosys, Capgemini, CTS etc) are the trend prepare in DBMS, C/JAVA, J2EE.

For certifaction, chose either MS path of Java path.

MS : .net related certifications ans courses
Java : Java related all courses or certifications.

And, apti....before these companies get to weigh you on your technical knowledge, you need to pass the aptitude tests.
Prepare for that well enough to reach technical round.

If the product oriented companies (MS, Facebook, Yahoo, Amazon etc) do not come for campus recruitment, you can always join them once skilled enough.

b/w for service based industries, the pay package is kinda same i.e. 3-3.5 Lacks/Anum

If you are looking for job soon after finishing B.Tech this is the starting package you might just get.

For higher pay package, go for MBA. Another two years. Average starting pay package would be 8-10Lacks/anum.

Hope that helped.

becoming a Microsoft Student Partner---Does it help? they started the campaign today at our college.

MVA Skill Development Activity
Participant should complete at least 1 MVA Course from the list of MVA Courses between 17th August 2015 & 17th September 2015. List of courses eligible given below in the Notes Section.
Proof Required: Participants should upload a soft copy of their MVA Course Completion Certificate in the Nomination form
a. Below is the list of 9 selected MVA courses which would be considered for this campaign:
 Getting Started with Windows 10 for IT Professionals
 A Developer's Guide to Windows 10
 Fundamentals of Application Lifecycle management
 Microsoft Azure Fundamentals
 Introduction to Office 365 Development
 Java script Fundamentals for Absolute Beginners
 C-Fundamentals for absolute beginners
 Security Fundamentals
 Fundamentals of Visual Studio Online
b. MVA courses completed within this program dates i.e. from 17th August, 2015 to 17th September 2015 would only be considered.
c. Participant’s use of the MVA account is subject to the Terms and Conditions of Microsoft Virtual Academy (MVA) program.
d. The Campaign is valid in India only.
e. The Participant should upload a soft copy of their MVA Course Completion Certificate in the nomination form

kalam_gohab

Ambassador of Buzz

the choice is yours
May I know what are DSA algorithms? Is it some type of code or pure mathematics?

And is it really helpful in job placements and for the overall build of resume?

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
becoming a Microsoft Student Partner---Does it help? they started the campaign today at our college.

It may depends upon which course you take.

Safe for any fresher :
Java script Fundamentals for Absolute Beginners
Fundamentals of Visual Studio Online
C-Fundamentals for absolute beginners
Microsoft Azure Fundamentals -- Ms's cloud system. Quite famous but I've no idea what job prospect it has for a fresher.
Security Fundamentals -- future path CCNA-->CCNP and other tool specific certifications.

See, when any service based company picks you up they would hardly care what skills you've aquired.

The gap between college education and real-time job technology is huge. THe underlining language and approach would be similar but the implementation would be different.
That's why you would have two phases of training, one is formal induction program to give you heads up about work culture and company history and various standards
Then on-job training. Here you are assigned to a project and given small tasks to perform. You are guided and monitored how you execute those. Based on this you are evaluated.

Coming to point, such companies would assume you as a person with somewhat knowledge about programing and logical thinking. Then, they would assign you a technology as per current need.
Suppose, they've got a project with .net technology and require 20 freshers. You might just be assigned .net technology at the training program and later absorbed into the project.
Most of the time your voice "but I love java" would be ignored.

Anyway, enough scaring you...don't think too much.

Make sure you are proficient in these things before you go for your technical interview
One programing language : Java, C whichever you chose, just be master of it. YOU should be able to answer any question asked from this.
(under this : algos, sorting, searching, pointer and linked list etc.)
DBMS : Conceptual knowledge
SQL : Very important. Make sure you learn it very well
Web Technology

This is pure software development path.

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
May I know what are DSA algorithms? Is it some type of code or pure mathematics?

And is it really helpful in job placements and for the overall build of resume?
what I meant DS and Algorithms
this is not mathematics but to solve real life problems you need a little mathematics which you will implement in your code. Most big tech farms will test your skill in this regard.

see this site where ppl post there interview questions
Programming Interview Questions | CareerCup

OP
kARTechnology

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
[MENTION=870]rhitwick[/MENTION]

thank you for the explanation...now understood the situation...

completed 57% of C-Fundamentals for absolute beginners yesterday.

The gap between college education and real-time job technology is huge
I hope that the colleges will drop c and c++ and start with C# directly. such beautiful interface and its Easy!
coming to c & cpp it looks really really, a pain to code as you cannot even have auto backups, your program crashes and so on...

bikramjitkar

In the zone
[MENTION=870]rhitwick[/MENTION]

thank you for the explanation...now understood the situation...

completed 57% of C-Fundamentals for absolute beginners yesterday.

I hope that the colleges will drop c and c++ and start with C# directly. such beautiful interface and its Easy!
coming to c & cpp it looks really really, a pain to code as you cannot even have auto backups, your program crashes and so on...

C and C++ are the foundations of Java, C#, Objective C and many other popular languages. Also, most operating systems and device drivers are written using them because after assembly language, they are the most powerful languages to target hardware directly. If your program crashes frequently, it's your fault not the language's.

Grasp good knowledge in any one language (I would suggest Python), and have deep understanding of data structures and algorithms. DSA alone is sufficient for getting you a good, high paying job, trust me. Learn new DSA concepts then implement them too. Whatever code you write, try optimizing it. One good practice point it Google CodeJam practice questions.

Top Bottom