ELX BizDesktop 4.0 with Oct '04 Digit

Status
Not open for further replies.

chandra

Right off the assembly line
Hi DigitAlls...

I tried several ways of installing ELX BizDesktop 4 in my system and nothing works. I created the CD first, then pressed Enter to install. It hangs after some steps. Then I typed "linux lowres", same thing. Then I tried "linux skipddc lowres noprobe". Same thing. I tried everything separately one at a time (like "linux skipddc", "linux noprobe" each time). SAME thing again. So please please help me with it.

My system config is as follows: AMD Athlon XP 2000+, GeForce 5200 Chipset AGP 8x 128MB display card, 2x128 MB DDR Memory, Krypton nForce 2 Ultra chipset board, Realtek ALC650 Sound card onboard, nVidia MCP Network controller, LiteOn 52X CD-RW, BenQ 16X DVD drive, Seagate (Sec Master) 20 GB HDD with 5 FAT32 partitions, and Maxtor (Pri Master) 40 GB 5 FAT32 partitions. Win98 on the FIRST partition of Seagate and Win XP on the FIRST partition of Maxtor disks.

Thinking that Network dedection could be the issue, I disabled it in the Bios and that too failed to help. Please please help me with this. Am I entering the command switches the wrong way. Or, do I need to have a partition of something else than FAT32 to install Linux.

Also, is there ANY Linux distro that can be installed directly to FAT 32 disk right from the initial installation. That would be wonderful.

Thanks in advance for all the help.
Chandra

sreevirus

Certified Nutz
if u can download it, download WinLinux. (its 363 MB)
they say it can be installed on a system with win 9x on fat32.

WinLinux 2003 Unique Features

WinLinux 2003 was designed and built to be the easiest to use Linux system. Its installation and configuration tasks are performed directly from Windows and with graphical tools Windows users are used to. Below there is a list of its unique features:

* Windows integration: WinLinux 2003 installs as easily as any Windows application
* Smart configuration: your hardware devices are detected and automatically configured to reflect your current settings and preferences**
* Easy start: you can start WinLinux 2003 just as you start any other Windows application, just double click it
* Safe installation: you do not have to put your existing data at risk to install it as you have to do with other Linux systems (no HD repartitioning)
* Easy troubleshooting: a Troubleshooting Utility is included to simplify the request of Online Support
* Optimal Disk Usage: WinLinux 2003 shares free disk space with Windows, i.e., you do not have to set two independent hard disk partitions that do not share free disk space.
* Familiar look and feel: you will be amazed by how simple it is to use KDE, the graphical interface used by WinLinux 2003. Take a look at some screenshots and see you will be in a familiar place.

Linux Features

* Linux is virtually immune to all DOS/Windows viruses.*
* Linux is very stable and rarely crashes. It is used by thousands of companies around the world in 24-hours systems.
* Linux is based on open industry standards so you are not obligated to buy everything from the same company.
* Linux has a handful of applications, utilities and games already developed for it. Most big software developers already support Linux and more are joining in.
* You can even download Linux office applications for personal use for free.

System Requirements

Your computer must have, at least the following configuration to run WinLinux 2003.

* a Pentium II class processor
* 64 MB RAM
* VGA video card
* Windows 95, Windows 98 or Windows Millennium. Note that Windows NT, Windows 2000 and Windows XP are not supported by WinLinux 2003 yet.
* an disk drive with approximately 1.2GB free space on a FAT32 system or near 2GB free space on a FAT16 system (most Windows 95), for a full setup.

To enjoy WinLinux in full, we recommend also the following:

* a modem and an Internet connection
* 128 MB RAM
* SVGA video card
* a sound card
* free HD space to install third party applications

OP
C

chandra

Right off the assembly line
Thanks Boss..!

I thought ELX would install fine. I am just not able to figure out the soln. It should either be the FX5200 or the MCP Network card in my system that ELX is not able to "pass" through.

Also, the ELX website does not have a support or FAQ explaining the installation procedure and all that.

It is not possible for me to download 363 MB software. If it is re-dist pack, why dont we suggest it to Digit? If they comply and include it in one of their issues, it would be terrific for all of us.

One more "unusual" query. Apple Power G5 is simply great. Can it run Windows OS? Is there a way you can install and work with both of the OSses, OSX and Windows (Say XP/2000)..??

Thank you very much.
Chandra.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
chandra said:
I created the CD first, then pressed Enter to install. It hangs after some steps.
Strange... When the installer starts, then it creates three virtual terminals for printing debug messages... try going to other terminals by pressing ALT+F2 , ALT+F3 , ALT+F4 and check out messages there... if you find something suspicious there, then post it exactly here...

You might also want to try Knoppix 3.4 given away in previous issue of Digit... If Knoppix works then there's nothing wrong with your system config... You mightbe having a corrupt ELX CD

chandra said:
My system config is as follows: AMD Athlon XP 2000+, GeForce 5200 Chipset AGP 8x 128MB display card, 2x128 MB DDR
Hot config !!!

chandra said:
Thinking that Network dedection could be the issue, I disabled it in the Bios and that too failed to help.
Ethernet card is not the culprit... enable it again...

chandra said:
Or, do I need to have a partition of something else than FAT32 to install Linux.
No, you can have any kind of partition in ur hard disk....

chandra said:
Also, is there ANY Linux distro that can be installed directly to FAT 32 disk right from the initial installation. That would be wonderful.
Most distributions like RedHat, TurboLinux explicitly have support for installation over FAT partitions in a UMSDOS mode.... however do remember that you need to have a working installation of Windows 98 and Loadlin program to boot into Linux over FAT partition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom