Educate Me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
Guys to say it frankly I dont know anything about Linux. But some how with the help of members here I installed Ubuntu 5.10 Successfully on my machine. I know something about the bad multimedia startup in Linux. After installing i found that i couldnt play any mp3s. So tried of installing XMMS. But the fact is i donna how to install any app to Linux. i knew only the file extension of .tar but after see the file i noticed tar.gz.... Please guys help to install apps to linux.. I tries Add Applications but its no use. I can only change wallpapers, screensavers, playgames etc.. I can remember the good old days when i started learning the basis in Windows.!

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Ubuntu don't have all the codec's pre-installed. Infact this is the difference I noticed between Ubuntu and Foresight Linux. Foresight Linux came pre-installed with bunch of applications, themes and codec's. After installation, I could right away play all my Mp3, Mpg videos and even 3gp videos. But installation and compilation of applications and configuring it is a nightmare in foresight linux. Hence replaced it with Ubuntu.

Ubuntu has the edge here. It's package manager is one of the best offering. You need to install loads of stuff from Synaptic Package Manager. So after installation, first thing to do is connect online, download and install codec's. Go to Package Manager and download Totem Xine and it's related codec's.

Last edited:

anantkhaitan

Burning Bright
Rather than compiling the tar.gz files search for .deb or binary packages or use Synaptic/apt-get for installing new softwares.

freebird

Debian Rocks!
@intelcore:get installed gstreamer-plugins0.10 and w32codecs.go to *ubuntuguide.org,
first get the page for ur version (hoary?)
search ur doubt(mostly answered).
Also for package management,there is synaptic,from menu, System>Administration>synaptic package manager.

anantkhaitan

Burning Bright
For a basic knowledge in GNU/Linux go through the Fast Track on Linux by Digit.. It was very helpful to me... Go through Ubuntu Wiki and FAQ for solving ur problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom