EA Origin related problems/discussion here

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
there is a steam discussion thread so i thought to dedicate a thread to the world's most greediest companies' crappy game client
ORIGIN
Post your origin problems and discussions here

i also request other members to add links to resolved origin problems here

bippukt

In the zone
I was going to create an Origin thread, but found that this one already exists.

I have been a big Steam fan all along (still am). I have some games on Origin and overall my experience has been good - Good download speeds, easy to purchase and a working offline mode for single player games. One big plus for Origin is that it accepts payment in Indian Rupees - that saves some rupees in currency conversion. Another plus is that addons and DLCs can be downloaded later and you can still play. A negative is the increased price of all EA games but that is not really Origin's fault. Another negative is the lack of sales, especially for DLCs. Moving games to another PC is still too difficult, it seems.

Recently, I was surprised when I tried to buy Crysys for INR 54 ($1 sale) - I fully expected it to fail without Verified by Visa but the payment went through without asking for the online pin. This makes it easier to purchase as otherwise I would have had to use some other card and paid extra for using it. Although I am not sure how good this is in terms of security, or why the Bank is allowing it.

PS: Is there any hope of having regional pricing on DLCs (eg Bioware Points)? Buying a game for around 1000 and then paying the full price of $20-$30 on DLCs is something that just doesn't make sense. Earlier they used to price 800 BW Points at INR 400 but now it is INR 557, which is really too much! For Mass Effect 3, I might pay that much, especially since I paid only 650 for the base game, but for other games it will just not happen.

Last edited:

bippukt

In the zone
There is a big sale on Origin until Jan 28 - A lot of games available just for Rs 269 ($5). I got Dragon Age II!

Reaper_vivek

BAN...KAI
I already have most of the games on list, except Alice Madness Returns and some NFS titles. Won't bother as 3-4 "must-buy" games coming up in the next 2 month.

GFWL and Uplay are the crappiest DRM in my opinion. Or atleast their compatibility with steam, where 90% of my games are. You can't view your uplay games together if they have been bought on steam :/

PS: Is there any hope of having regional pricing on DLCs (eg Bioware Points)? Buying a game for around 1000 and then paying the full price of $20-$30 on DLCs is something that just doesn't make sense. Earlier they used to price 800 BW Points at INR 400 but now it is INR 557, which is really too much! For Mass Effect 3, I might pay that much, especially since I paid only 650 for the base game, but for other games it will just not happen.

Sadly nopes, even Ubisoft does the same with Uplay, you buy games for 999, and it's DLCs are 500 each :/

gameranand

Living to Play
There is a big sale on Origin until Jan 28 - A lot of games available just for Rs 269 ($5). I got Dragon Age II!

Not as good as DAO but it will do I guess.

Damn the Origin Downloader, it always restarts the downloads. I actually had to download the game from torrents and then use the serial key.

arijitsinha

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿ O'RLY?
^ For me it works fine. Atleast I get steady d/l speed than steam.
Regarding your download restart,I think it will ask before restarting your download, just click No (or cancel it) and start the download again after a minute or resatrt origin then start downloading. Your download will resume. Worked for me.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Biggest problem with Origin is absence of a Backup utility. If you need to reinstall the OS or something, then its a hell to download the games again on a slower connection.

bippukt

In the zone
Uninstall Origin

problem solved.

That is an Origin thread :p

Not as good as DAO but it will do I guess.

Damn the Origin Downloader, it always restarts the downloads. I actually had to download the game from torrents and then use the serial key.

Yeah, for 269 I won't regret it even if I dislike it. One dish costs that much at a good restaurent!

Biggest problem with Origin is absence of a Backup utility. If you need to reinstall the OS or something, then its a hell to download the games again on a slower connection.

I totally agree. That and the fact that the option to save installation files is totally useless. I mean, why does it even exist if it doesn't work?

On the bright side, I like the appearance and the download speeds are double that of Steam for me. The offline mode works without any extra preparation, which is good because Origin servers seem to be down randomly. Let us hope that they are working on the backup thing - the currentl update fixed the thing where I couldn't see my Order history from Origin client itself. Also, it would be great if they showed the retail games that you have added, like Steam does.

bippukt

In the zone
Definitely. But the difference is less apparent to me because I don't use the Steam Community tools. Steam is also adding new things consistently, like Workshop and now Guides.

The biggest problem with Origin is that while its benefit to EA is obvious (more money), what is the benefit to the consumer, to me? They need to work on that. These sales are a good step, but not even close to enough.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Definitely. But the difference is less apparent to me because I don't use the Steam Community tools. Steam is also adding new things consistently, like Workshop and now Guides.

The biggest problem with Origin is that while its benefit to EA is obvious (more money), what is the benefit to the consumer, to me? They need to work on that. These sales are a good step, but not even close to enough.

Same here.

On the other hand, I think Origin sales (and sales at other portals too) are more exciting than Steam sales these days, one reason is that sales are few and far between.

gameranand

Living to Play
Is it just me or Origin shows fake speeds to you guys also ?? I am on a 512 kbps connection and Origin is showing me 200+ KBps downloading speed and no other client, be it Torrent, Steam, IDM or anything has reached that speed yet.
Also Comodo Widget is showing that incoming speed is 55-65 KBps and yet Origin showing such high speeds. Do EA think of us as fools who don't know anything about Downloading at all ??

arijitsinha

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿ O'RLY?
Is it just me or Origin shows fake speeds to you guys also ?? I am on a 512 kbps connection and Origin is showing me 200+ KBps downloading speed and no other client, be it Torrent, Steam, IDM or anything has reached that speed yet.
Also Comodo Widget is showing that incoming speed is 55-65 KBps and yet Origin showing such high speeds. Do EA think of us as fools who don't know anything about Downloading at all ??

I have not seen any excess speed in origin client yet. It shows the exact speed.

Top Bottom