Dynamic Disk problems

rajsujayks

CSE Freak!
My friend had a 500GB HDD. He had 100GB in his C: drive, 200GB in his D: drive and 200GB in his E: drive. (all approx.) Wishing to install Linux on his D: drive, he moved the content to E: and tried to delete the partition, so that he can split it into two - 50GB for Linux and remaining 150GB for Windows... He used his Disk Management utility in Windows7 Ultimate 32-bit for this.

Problem is, he converted the drive to a Dynamic Disk in the process and Windows wouldn't boot. He then asked me for help and after doing some searching I managed to get Windows running. But now the space in D: is completely lost.. (Shows as Unallocated in Disk Management utility) and C: and E: are marked risky. They work, but he wants to reclaim the lost space. I suggested a complete reformat and install.

My question now is: Will deleting all the partitions in the disk and reinstalling Windows7 convert it back to Normal Disk..? I ask because if I try to boot from Windows7 Installation disk, it is not able to delete the E: drive.. Will using GParted solve the problem..?

Sujeet

Undead!!!
Gparted is most efficient tool for disk and partition management and you can easily sort that parition recovery-and-creation problem using Gparted.
Just boot it from A usb drive.*gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Its simple. When you boot from 7 dvd, enter DOS prompt. If you are able to boot (as you said), just open cmd directly.

There enter following commands-

1) diskpart
2)list disk
3) select disk #your harddisk no (reflected by above command)
4)Clean
5)exit

Now you will be able to format the disk.
And GParted will obviously solve the problem but why to go for it when it can be done under windows.

But one question, without converting to basic disk, how were you able to boot ?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
sometimes it happens when using win 7 disk management utility that basic disk gets converted to dynamic.windows will boot but using windows 7 dvd will give error when re-installing on dynamic disk.happened to me once when my brother's laptop hdd gets converted to dynamic.there was some data in D drive so didn't want to format the disk(using xp pro cd)just to convert dynamic to basic disk.searched the net & finally managed to convert dynamic to basic disk without format though i only recommend this to hardcore techies who know hdd sector bit/byte/hexa manipulation.format using xp pro is the simplest & recommended option :)

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
sometimes it happens when using win 7 disk management utility that basic disk gets converted to dynamic.windows will boot but using windows 7 dvd will give error when re-installing on dynamic disk.happened to me once when my brother's laptop hdd gets converted to dynamic.

Happened exactly with me in friend's lappi. In my case, it was always converting to dynamic when attempt to create a 3rd/4th "primary" partition was made.

there was some data in D drive so didn't want to format the disk(using xp pro cd)just to convert dynamic to basic disk.searched the net & finally managed to convert dynamic to basic disk without format though i only recommend this to hardcore techies who know hdd sector bit/byte/hexa manipulation.format using xp pro is the simplest & recommended option :)

I'm in, guide me the links.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
here you go:
How to Convert a Dynamic Disk to Basic Disk in Windows 7 | Strangely Perfect

however be very careful not to modify any other value as these are starting sectors of HDD.in my case i had to change 4 "42" to "07"(i had 4 drives).some partition will be erased.in my case i lost 10gb next to c drive but i merged it with c using windows disk management & yes i did all this while running my old win 7 installation on dynamic disk.i reinstalled win 7 only after converting to basic disc & merging inside my old win 7 installation.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Thanks, everything is fine except the finale part. Its just confusing. Will try some time when the need arises.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
let's hope the need never arises :) but if it does feel free to PM me.by finale i am assuming the last pic of hdd sector values.the pattern will be something similar as in my case too based on pattern only i changed the values to make it work.actual no. of values to be changed will differ depending upon no. of partitions/drives etc but never do anything unless absolutely sure.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
my mistake!i had these pics in mind:
*www.wilderssecurity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=195024&d=1194769399
*strangelyperfect.tv/wp-content/uploads/HxD_Screenshot-176x155-custom.jpg

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
then what else is there.simply download the hexa disk editing tool,load the disk in read/write mode,do the changes & reboot.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
step 1-6 are for backup.only step 7-10 are what matters.it seems like instruction regarding disk editor is not there anymore.let me check in my old archives.

edit:the info about using disk editor i used was from a different source.this link has much more details & screenshots about using disk editor.
Using Windows 2008 (R2) Backups to Go Virtual Part III | Working Hard In IT
jump to "Warnings concerning the techniques discussed below" section.

Last edited:
OP
rajsujayks

rajsujayks

CSE Freak!
But one question, without converting to basic disk, how were you able to boot ?

I actually followed bazsix's reply in this thread:

Win 7 not booting after conversion to dynamic disk - config-customize - windows-7
-------------------------------------------------
As for the suggestions... Thanks guys.. I must wait a few days before I can try them out on my friend's PC.. He needs the data in the current state for now.. Anyways, I'll try them and reply here..

But I have a question: What is the use of a dynamic disk when it won't allow you to boot off it..? I mean, in what ways is it advantageous (or disadvantageous) over a basic one..?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
you can boot from dynamic disk when conversion to dynamic disk happened due to using windows disk management creating new partition(see posts above).also do not try the method above unless you consider yourself pretty experienced with such stuff.better use a linux live cd/usb to copy data temporarily(preferred) & then format or try using xp pro cd to format the dynamic partition.

Top Bottom