DVD writer queries

Status
Not open for further replies.

h_kunte

Journeyman
Hello All...

I am a newbie when it comes to DVD writers. I bought a DVD writer a week ago & faced a few problems when I attempted to write DVDs.

I have quite a lot of movies which I downloaded & had stored on my PC. The movie formats are mostly (.avi) or (.mpeg). I want to backup all these movies onto DVDs so that I can free up some space on my crammed up hard drives. The method which I followed to burn the disks was that, I started Nero startsmart (I am using Nero 7.0 Premium) & clicked on "Make Data DVD" & proceded, using Nero Express to select 5-6 files (depending on the size) from the drive & then continued to burn. The problems which I faced were as I follows:

1. DVD burning failed after 99% completion. (I wasted 3 such DVDs :( worth Rs 75)
2. I tried to read the DVD from my DVD ROM (On my PC) & it took AGES to read. Although the movies can be played from the DVD ROM on my PC, the last movie file(in order of burning) has been corrupted.
3. The DVD fails to be recognised by my DVD player.

My queries are as follows:

1. Most importantly, AM I USING THE RIGHT METHOD TO BURN THE DVD FILES? I snooped around a bit in Nero & found options like "Burn DVD Video Files", "Recode DVD Video" & "Make DVD Video"....Am I supposed to use any of these methods?

2. Why did the DVD burning fail after 99% writing? I had taken care to keep the size of the selected files to below the maximum size of the disk.

I dont think there should be any problem with my hardware configuration. My configuration is as follows:

AMD Atlon 64 3000+
MSI RS 480 IL mobo
2*512 MB RAM
2*80 GB SATA HDD - Drives almost 75% full
Nero 7 premium
Sony DVD RW AW-G170A
Sony DVD ROM DDU1615

Can anyone please help me out with the problems which I mentioned? Looking for replies.

Thanks in advance.

Ech-Kay.

Ankit

Journeyman
ya it really matters..ue dvd's may be of very cheap quality....brand may not matter much as there are number of fakes around......use dvd identifier or kprobe to check ur media

OP
H

h_kunte

Journeyman
I had called my hardware engineer who pointed the fault to my IDE cable & replaced it. Now although the progress doesnt stall at 99% & I am able to successfully burn DVDs, my other problem still exists. The DVD which I burnt is recognised perfectly well by my PCs DVD ROM & RW, but my separate DVD player (attached to the TV) fails to read the disk. (The DVD player is working perfectly well otherwise.)
Am I using a wrong method to burn the AVI files on my PC onto the DVDs?

-HK.

dissel

Cyborg Agent
@ h_kunte ^^^I think you use wrong method.....Hope your stand alone DVD player only can support DVD-Video Disc.Earlier you mention that you burn DVD as a Data DVD.... If your player don't support Data DVD so you can't play Data DVD in your player.

In that case you need to Encode the movie file(.mpeg, .avi and so on) to the DVD file(.vob,.bup what you see in the normal DVD).Use Nero Vision 4(bundled with nero premium 7) to encode it....and it take time near about 4-7 hours according to your file size.

OP
H

h_kunte

Journeyman
Aaaarrrggghhhhh....:X

@da_tcpip...

Ya its been more than 10 days and I havent burnt even a single DVD without any errors...:(

Every time I attempt to burn a DVD, the burning fails saying that a data error(Cyclic Redundancy Check) occurred.

In fact I attempted to back-up my drive onto a DVD using Norton Ghost 9 & after 50 minutes & 2 (Now wasted) DVDs I got the following message...Check out the screenshot...

*img237.imageshack.us/img237/4200/123zl6.th.jpg

Can anyone tell me where I am going wrong??? Is it some problem with the DVD RW?? Do I need to get it replaced??? Looking for replies...

@dissel
Do I need to recode even if the files on my PC are what you call - "DVD-rip" .AVI format????

-HK.

da_tcpip

Journeyman
it seems that its the dvd writer at fault .. go for a replacement..
and as far as dissel's comment is considered .. he believes that you are trying to read the data dvd on a standalone dvd player .. recode is used only if want the nero format(which is simply avc aka x264 with aac codec) or if you want to burn a dvd/vcd movie for standalone players .. go for replacement.. even i had to go for it when i had made arnd 10 coasters

vavinashraju

Broken In
plz help my drive is not able to read any of the digit cds but it is able to read the dvds any cd which is having the back of silver like the movie cd are not read by dvd i took the dvd to the hardware manager he said we cannot do any thing you have to buy new one plz help if any one knows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom