dvd writer problem

manishrpvv

Broken In
i have purchased desktop dvd writers of many companies . but all of them get useless after a short period of time i.e. 3 to 4 months and i don't use them so much how they get useless

they are unable to read the disks i opened them and clean their lens then they works very good for some days but after that same problem exist

q1. is there any way through which we can detect that they are original dvd writers

as i have purchased most of the dvd writers from nehru place, delhi. where dvd writers of all companies on all shops are sold in an unusual way that is they are not packed in any box rather a packed in a polythene only

Q2 any good online video/ pdf tutorial for repairing dvd writer .

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Don't buy OEM DVD writers. But retail DVD writers.
I personally used Asus & Sony. They usually last 2-3 years, totally depending on the amount of use.

aloodum

Journeyman
tough luck manish :(

When it came to optical drives Pioneer, LiteOn and Sony Optiarc were the bid daddies, with a lot of products being rebaged versions of each other

I personally place my bet on Liteon...asus drives are simply rebaged LiteOns and have served me problem free for years.Also IIRC liteon drives use MediaTek chipset which many say are better than the NEC chipset found earlier in Liteon's models and now in Sony Optiarcs(its a tie up between the two i guess sony and NEC)
SO go ahead with a LiteOn! CHeers!

aloodum

Journeyman
^^ Glad to help :) ..... One of the more common problems with Sony drives is over an extended period of say 2 years,the drive will simply refuse to read Dual layer Dvds. This happened to my download rig and a close friends of mine, batches and ages being different ....to make matters worse for Optiarc, Sony plans to shutdown the optical division tie-up by next year :(

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
can't say about current units but I've a Sony IDE DVD Drive ( 7 years old ) which is still kicking ;-)

Top Bottom