DVD writer problem. What to do ?

bubusam13

Human
Hi, I even don't know it its the correct thread to post or should I post it in buying section. Else mods pls move it to the right section.

I have a old LG DVD Writer. I bought it in 2006 and it started showing signs of aging. It take long time in recognizing discs, etc etc. But it recognises all brands of DVDs and DVD RWs. So I bought a new Sony Optiarc DVD writer. Now I didn't know that its is a piece of s####. It only recognises selective brands of DVDs. It also can't write and erase my Moserbaer DVD rewritables. I have about backup 200+ DVDs because before I only had a 80Gb HDD. Most of them are Renotech, Writex and Frontech. It only well recognise the frontech ones.

So I was using both my old LG and new Sony. But now I am frustrated. The LG disc does not come out and takes a lot of time and Sony doesnot recognise. So yesterday I opened up my old LG to tweak its potentiometers a bit. I did that before also and it works. But yesterday while tweaking I break one of the Pot :(

Now it there any firmware hack etc buy which I can make this Sony Optiarc recognise even cheap brand discs and write and erase in DVD RW ? Or can I but the Laser Head for LG DVD RW spare and how much it will cost ? Or will I get a pot of the same size in market or online ? The size of the pot is Very small, about 1 mm.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Get a new ODD man! They are cheap and in most of the cases are not worthy of spending the time to repair.

OP
bubusam13

bubusam13

Human
few months ago i bought this crap sony one. Could I find LG laser head ? any Idea ? And If I buy, which one is better ?

Top Bottom