DVD RW problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
See naa! I had said you installing XP would solve the problem. System Restore would have done the job too, had you turned it on..

Now, if you want to turn off System Restore, turn it off on all drives except the one in which XP is installed. From the settings reduce the disk space used to minimum. So that you don't have to install XP again once you face the problem...:)

man_in_black

Broken In
sorry dude, got a bit late. but u did the sure-shot thing reinstall the OS(the best way to restore ur pc).

that thing happens to drives (hdd or rom/writer) when it starts to work in PIO mode instead of DMA (check in device manager).
all rom/writer now support DMA2 while HDD supports DMA5.

this thing happens when there is some driver problem (perhaps).and the best way to check it is to use some live linux cd to test ur driver before the hardware R&D. but be sure to set the DMA on while booting a live CD.

saurav29

Waiting for 3 Miracles...
codename_romeo said:
isnt there a method 2 get ur drives working back in dma mode instead of PIO?

:rolleyes: OOUCH....... For this you installed windows again..........

:-|
First Case Scenario:
DUDE remember this ........ if you are using Intel Based motherboard very easy solution Install Application Accelerator Plus...... Aka IDE drivers for your Motherboard it will select the best mode........

Second Case Scenario:
USE a 80 pin conductor cable the hard colorful end type cable for IDE devices it will select the best mode possible.... Donot rely on old cables if these things occur they may be not working fine (I once got message for my 80 gb IDE hdd Smart capability bad.....when i went to service centre they said no problems in hdd.... again i connected it to PC again HDD samrt capability bad working no problems .... with both Optical device and HDD on same IDE cable.. i Noticed that my HDD was running at UDMA 2 and optical drive DW2 mode ... Replaced the cable .......Problem Solved.........

Third Case Scenario:
actually try this first...........
go to device manager aka(rclk.. My computer>properties > Device manager..
The setting you require are under IDE/ATA/ATAPI controllers
Select your channel primary---> IDE 1 Or Secondary IDE 2 right clk and select advanced options... Set it to DMA if available.......
for both device..........
Restart........... The problem will be solved ....... At least should be solved in theory........

If not what the heck perhaps you did the right thing..... loose the copy of windows......... But it a hassel to bakup data and lie to those Customer care guys every time you try activating the windows..........

:D or may be not everybody requires to activate the windows................

Peace
Raj

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom