DVD-RW or HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

aksmohan

Broken In
I have two computers , a notebook and a desktop.

I can buy either a Seagate 120GB Hard Disk with an External casing or a DVD-Rw with external Casing or the LG GSA-5163D (External DVD-RW *www.cdfreaks.com/article/191).

What should i get ? :S ...

Will the transfer speeds be affected cos of the casing ?

Which is the best company for the DVD-RW ? I need to choose from these 5 if i get a normal DVD-RW+Casing -
Benq16X Dual Layer DVD Writer DW1640
SONY DRU-810A DVD Burner
Lite-On SHW-1635S
LG GSA-4167B
Lite-On 1963s

Please help me decide.

Also , if i use the external casing , do i require some sort of power supply ? :S

Thanks a lot ....

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
You dont have to bump it every hour. As far as mobility is concerned, buy an external laptop hdd (5k for 80 GB model) which is small enough to fit on your pocket.

If its for backing up only, DVD-RW will do. The best available is BenQ DW1640 and Sony DWQ30A

digen

Youngling
@aksmohan
No need to bump threads.If someone knows the answer he/she will reply.
Considering that you are new I hope you will read & follow the rules of this forum.

abhishekkulkarni

Journeyman
The one thing you should always keep in mind before purchasing any hardware product is - future utility .

Meaning , that an HDD would work very well for you as of now . But when the prices of Dual layered DVDs come down to say about 20-30 Rs in about an year's time , thats when you will yearn for a DVD Writer .

If you can write up to 8.5 GB of data on to a single disk then there is nothing like that . Also , an HDD can give up on you anytime , but for me a DVD has proved to be infinitely more durable .

So I would advise you to go for a DVD Writer . Personally speaking , I own a Sony DRU 810A DVD Writer and I am currently in " Storage Space Nirvana " :lol: .

As for the Internal / External casings that you have mentioned , I have no idea what they mean . Do you mean to say External DVD Writer / Internal DVD Writer ?

If yes , then I suppose that the transfer rates will be lower as compared to IDE / SCSI Drives due to the simple reason that the transfer rates of the Universal Serial Bus ( USB ) is much lower . This is presuming however , that the External Drive has a USB interface . :)

OP
A

aksmohan

Broken In
abhishekkulkarni said:
The one thing you should always keep in mind before purchasing any hardware product is - future utility .

Meaning , that an HDD would work very well for you as of now . But when the prices of Dual layered DVDs come down to say about 20-30 Rs in about an year's time , thats when you will yearn for a DVD Writer .

If you can write up to 8.5 GB of data on to a single disk then there is nothing like that . Also , an HDD can give up on you anytime , but for me a DVD has proved to be infinitely more durable .

So I would advise you to go for a DVD Writer . Personally speaking , I own a Sony DRU 810A DVD Writer and I am currently in " Storage Space Nirvana " :lol: .

As for the Internal / External casings that you have mentioned , I have no idea what they mean . Do you mean to say External DVD Writer / Internal DVD Writer ?

If yes , then I suppose that the transfer rates will be lower as compared to IDE / SCSI Drives due to the simple reason that the transfer rates of the Universal Serial Bus ( USB ) is much lower . This is presuming however , that the External Drive has a USB interface . :)

Thanks for that.

How long does it take you to burn a single layer DVD on your Sony ?

I am talking about internal drives which can be used with a USB port with the casing(which converts IDE to USB)..

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
aksmohan said:

I am talking about internal drives which can be used with a USB port with the casing(which converts IDE to USB)..

For me a It takes about 7-8 min to write a single layer DVD-R in 8x. Haven't tried it 16x as i havent a supporting media.

And, External USB casing (for both HDD and Optical drives) is very slow compare to the SATA interface. If you dont have a USB 2.0, the case will be even worser.

OP
A

aksmohan

Broken In
desertwind said:
aksmohan said:

For me a It takes about 7-8 min to write a single layer DVD-R in 8x. Haven't tried it 16x as i havent a supporting media.

And, External USB casing (for both HDD and Optical drives) is very slow compare to the SATA interface. If you dont have a USB 2.0, the case will be even worser.
which writer do u have ?

I do have USB 2 , but will get 16x on it ?

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
I own a Sony DWQ30A.

And i havent used external CD/DVD-RWs. But my external HDD is slower than the usual IDE interface.

OP
A

aksmohan

Broken In
I've decided to go for either a 5163 or a BenQ 1640/Sony 810 + External Casing.

Can someone tell me which case is best with the 2 drives and what speeds can i get ?

Also , If i cross-flash or wateva , do i get 16x ? Is it very risky (or has it been done b4) ?

nil_3

In the zone
abhishekkulkarni said:
But when the prices of Dual layered DVDs come down to say about 20-30 Rs in about an year's time , thats when you will yearn for a DVD Writer

Hope this happens!
Seriously, in India there is a flood of dual layered cheap movie DVDs manufactured in China/Taiwan. Then why the relatively cheap Dual layer DVD-Rs are not availabe in India. The one brand that is available in Kolkata costs Rs. 300/- a piece and the same situation is going on for the last one and half year. Prices of Dual layer writers are pocket-friendly now, blue-ray discs will be introduced shortly, but where is the pocket-friendly Dual-layer media?
By the way, whether the same situation prevails in other countries(USA/UK etc).

shwetanshu

Cyborg Agent
na i dont.. i alwayz buy stuff from Alsun Systems, Nehru Place.. they themselves provide the best stuff/ideas.. so i just go there and tell them wat i want.

royal

Padawan
hey aksmohan ...

I think an external HDD would be easier to carry in case u want to take backup from other machimes 8)

Its just like a large pen drive, u see :D

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
aksmohan said:
Well apparently my friend happens to own the very same DVD Writer as Abhishek here and on a standard 4X speed of a Single layer DVD Burning takes up about 18 Minutes.At Around higher speeds though it was lesser time more like 8 Min(Or less) at 8X I suppose(Not completely sure of the speed).But overall the Sony DVD Writer is definetly a hot selling product in the market right now along with Lite-On and BenQ drives.

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
nil_3 said:
abhishekkulkarni said:
But when the prices of Dual layered DVDs come down to say about 20-30 Rs in about an year's time , thats when you will yearn for a DVD Writer

Hope this happens!
Seriously, in India there is a flood of dual layered cheap movie DVDs manufactured in China/Taiwan. Then why the relatively cheap Dual layer DVD-Rs are not availabe in India. The one brand that is available in Kolkata costs Rs. 300/- a piece and the same situation is going on for the last one and half year. Prices of Dual layer writers are pocket-friendly now, blue-ray discs will be introduced shortly, but where is the pocket-friendly Dual-layer media?
By the way, whether the same situation prevails in other countries(USA/UK etc).

Ignorant ME!!!

I visited a local shop 2 days before to found that the cost of a Sony DL Media to be Rs. 90. Feeling overpriced, i settled down with some SL media (got it for Rs. 12 a piece). Only after that i realised that A Sony DL Media for Rs. 90 is a bargain. So I rushed into to shop very next day, but only find that they dont have any DL media priced less than Rs. 400.

Opertunity never knocks twice.

djmykey

Let the music play.....
@desertwind:- U learnt a lesson the hard way.

Btw I also am torn between in dilemma wether to buy a DVD-Writer or a HDD, hdd is safe, but I am not sure of DVD. Do they give up on us like CD's. I mean do their foil go off or something. Am asking this coz one of my fren told me that it does and thats y I stalled my purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom