DVD-RW or HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhishekkulkarni

Journeyman
How long does it take you to burn a single layer DVD on your Sony ?

A 4X Single layered DVD takes precisely 12 Min to burn . I haven't tried out an 8X one as of yet .

Thats because they are very costly in Pune , about 60 Rs per DVD . :(

abhishekkulkarni

Journeyman
djmykey wrote -
Btw I also am torn between in dilemma wether to buy a DVD-Writer or a HDD, hdd is safe, but I am not sure of DVD. Do they give up on us like CD's. I mean do their foil go off or something. Am asking this coz one of my fren told me that it does and thats y I stalled my purchase.

No Mikey , an HDD is extremely volatile ...

Picture this situation -

You are going on your Unicorn with the HDD in your bag and you hit a big-bad-Pune-special bump .... And poof ! the HDD is dead as a dodo :lol:

Btw , the suspension of the Unicorn isn't bad though :p . Don't be mad at me :p :p

djmykey

Let the music play.....
abhishekkulkarni said:
No Mikey , an HDD is extremely volatile ...

You are going on your Unicorn with the HDD in your bag and you hit a big-bad-Pune-special bump .... And poof ! the HDD is dead as a dodo :lol:
I know this

Do they give up on us like CD's. I mean do their foil go off or something. Am asking this coz one of my fren told me that it does and thats y I stalled my purchase.

Actually this is the question that I was looking for an answer. As of now I think there is moserbaer, sony and some 2-3 companies I think who retail DVD-R's but do their foil go off like it did with the CD's thats what I wanna know nothing else.

Btw , the suspension of the Unicorn isn't bad though :p . Don't be mad at me :p :p
I know dood but the roads so suc seriously :( its too bad really for anyone riding a bike

OP
A

aksmohan

Broken In
Isn't there like a tried and tested external case(USB)+drive(BenQ 1640 or Sony 810) combo which i can buy ?

varungupta17

Broken In
Hey dude, I have tried many dvd witers like sony,gigabyte and tried many media like moser baer, optica, afa etc. However i find all dvds writen above 75% were faulty inspite of having the latest configuration using these dvd writers.

However when i lay my hands on Lite-on 1635s i was suprised.All dvds were written with out any fault. I used to get CRC error but every thing is fine now. Hence i prefer and suggest Liteon Dvd Writer.

Also read this months digit. Agent 001 Of DIGIT also suggest of Lite-On 1963s Dvd Writer. THIS IS MY PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE.

Also i suggest not to buy any optical drives from samsung. They tend to give many problems.Also the tray gets mis aligned very easily.

You can rely on me because i assemble and sell computers.

OP
A

aksmohan

Broken In
I ain't buying a Samsung , that's for sure , but i just want to know a case+drive combo which has been tried and tested.

My drive options are -
BenQ DW1640
SONY DRU-810A
Lite-On SHW-1635S
LG GSA-4167B

Will buy my drive as soon as i'm sure the case and drive will work well.

varungupta17

Broken In
DONT KNOW ABOUT CASING BUT LITEON IS THE BEST

aksmohan said:
I ain't buying a Samsung , that's for sure , but i just want to know a case+drive combo which has been tried and tested.

My drive options are -
BenQ DW1640
SONY DRU-810A
Lite-On SHW-1635S
LG GSA-4167B

Will buy my drive as soon as i'm sure the case and drive will work well.

Hi.Dude i m not sure about the casing but have heard that the casiing from "ENTER" company is good. :(

This is the case in bangalore where i stay.

About DVD Writer as i told u earlier Lite-On is the best.So there is no need to worry about it and u can safely buy it. :D

So if u need any assistance u can mail me at varungupta17@yahoo.com. or can post it here.

Also note that Liton Dvd Writer is available in many flavours:
1) Liteon 1635S.
2) Liteon 1963S.
Of the above Liteon 1963S is the best. However this model is not available in all cities. Hence check it in ur city. Price of both the models is SAME.

blacklight

Journeyman
@djmykey
it depends on why u need the xtra storage

i suggest u go 4 the HDD.coz it is much faster and much simpler to access the data (simple copy n paste )when compared to a disk where u hav to burn to disk to access it .moreover it is easy 2 handle a single drive than a dozen disks.

however,if its for storing/backin up movies/music ,i suggest u go for the DVD drive,coz in that case,u can also use the disks on a stand alone DVD player also.

abhishek_sharma

Journeyman
go in for a dvd writer whcih supports fireweire port, it offers much greater transfer speeds than usb
even if u dont have a firewire port on your comp...u can always buy one pci firewire card of tech-com or such companies for rs.300-450
on ebay.in they come for rs.300-475 with postage

also it is much better to burn 2 single layer dvds than buy an exoribantly priced dvd at present....u can also use a dvd rw, a 4x speed media frm moserbaer costs rs.90

abhishek_sharma

Journeyman
i suggest u go 4 the HDD.coz it is much faster and much simpler to access the data (simple copy n paste )when compared to a disk where u hav to burn to disk to access it .moreover it is easy 2 handle a single drive than a dozen disks.

blacklight had written the above...
i would like to add that these days nero has got a nifty tool bundled with their burning software called InCd which allows you to format a CD RW or DVD RW and use it as a hard disk...i.e. u can simply copy paste, delete things in it like u do in a hard disk, thus it becomes relatively more hassle-free

abhishek_sharma

Journeyman
i dont know at what price dvd writers sell in other cities but in my city a sony sells upward of rs.3800
hence i got a oem version of sony dvd writer for rs.3175 from ebay including postage, the drive has the same features as the 810u only difference it supports dual layer writing at just 4x speed, while the box packed counterpart supports it at 8x speed

also the bezel in the oem version will not have the sony logo

i think the price must be lower in cities like mumbai, probably rs.2800 or such

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom