DVD ROM slot help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Hi guys, well i am having an INTEL D865 GBF mobo and i already hv a SAMSUNG CD ROM and a SAMSUNG CD WRITER installed in my PC but the cabinet has one more empty slot ( the space in between the CD ROM and CD WRITER is empty so i suppose that i can install one DVD ROM into my cabinet, but how can i find out if there r actually slots available on my mobo or not to support my DVD ROM wich i want to install. :?

will my INTEL D865 GBF mobo support the DVD ROM drive? are there more slots to plug in my DVD ROM?? :?

plz help me guys !!!

thanx, cheers n peace... :):)

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
you have a CD ROM drive nd a CD Writer ... rite???
nd ONE hard disk????

if u have the above three parts then u can install DVD drive,or infact any optical drive or hard disc..as a max of 4 devices can be attached on IDE channel... most probably u'll have a primary slave slot free...((if both optical drives are occupying sec master,sec slave))

lavan_joy

Journeyman
your motherboard supports DVD ROM drive ok.

Put like this
1.HDD -Primary master
2.CD writer - Primary Slave
3.DVD ROM -Secondary Master
4.CD ROM -Secondary slave

well lavan joy said it right. caution,never connect ur cd rom(or writer or dvd drive)as a slave to the hdd increases ur boot up time a hell lot

krishnathelord

In the zone
better upgrade to SATA(i belive ur board has one)
and the u can have 4 ide devices

Pri mas CD writter
PRI SL HDD
Sec Mas DVD ROM
SEC SL CD ROM

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
lavan_joy wrote:
your motherboard supports DVD ROM drive ok.

Put like this
1.HDD -Primary master
2.CD writer - Primary Slave
3.DVD ROM -Secondary Master
4.CD ROM -Secondary slave

so shud i go with this combination GUYS ??? :? I dont want to convert to SATA !!

SO how can i check in wich Slave or master r my devices connected !! is it by goin in the BIOS ! (i think so)and if at all my devices r not connected as how lavan_joy said ,then can i reset their slots?? as per the required master or slave !!

plz reply Guys :)

vasanth_12345

Journeyman
Boot

When ur sys boots up it will be showing ur processor name,speed,installed memory(p4 2ghz,128 mb ram something something).Below that the devices will be shown pm(primary master),ps(primary slave),sm(secondry master),ss(secondry slave).jus open ur cabinet u will get the idea
.I think the cd drive and writer will be attached in the same ide cable.Jus attach the dvd drive like that .Finally check the jumper at the back of the drive

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Ok, open ur cabinet and see how ur Two optical drives are connected.

Do any one of the following:
1. If Ur HDD is connected alone, ie no other connection to it from ur mobo then connect ur DVD rom there.
Now ur HDD is primary master (mandatory) and ur DVD drive is primary slave.

Ur CD rom and CD writer are connected together with the same IDE cable and they are Secondary master and slave.

2. If ur optical drive (any one of them) is conencted with ur HDD, then HDD is in primary master (mandatory) and that optical drive is in primary slave.

Connected the other two optical drives with IDE cable to ur mobo.
Now these two are in Secondary master and slave.

Always remember that HDD will be in Primary master only.

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Ok guys i hv found out the DRIVE CONFIGURATION of my PC and this is wat i hv found------->

I have a PATA system with the following specs--->
HDD(Samsung)--> Primary Master
CD-R/WR(Samsung)--> Secondary Slave
CD-ROM(Samsung)----> Secondary Master

EMPTY (for my DVD ROM)->Primary Slave.

SO shud i go in with these settings as suggested to me by @drgrudge :p coz as he assumed, my CD-ROM,CD-R/WR are Sec. master and Sec. slave respectively

1. If Ur HDD is connected alone, ie no other connection to it from ur mobo then connect ur DVD rom there.

Ur CD rom and CD writer are connected together with the same IDE cable and they are Secondary master and slave.

any suggestions will be highly helpful GUYS :)

cheers n peace....

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
ashu888ashu888 said:
SO shud i go in with these settings as suggested to me by @drgrudge :p coz as he assumed, my CD-ROM,CD-R/WR are Sec. master and Sec. slave respectively

I never assumed, see my post, i gave the two possibilities, and as i said, ur HDD is connected alone..., put ur DVD rom drive as primary slave.

I guess, u have no other choice but to go for primary slave..., go ahead and install ur DVD drive....

Is ur DVD a samsung one? If yes, even i have sms HDD and optical drives. :p

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
hey thanx drgrudge and oops sorry for the mis-interpretation :(
I never assumed, see my post, i gave the two possibilities, and as i said, ur HDD is connected alone..., put ur DVD rom drive as primary slave.

well ,thanx once again for helping me out with the DVD ROM installation procedure :):p

but plz tell me wat speed of DVD ROM shud i buy, i will be using the DVD ROM to browse DIGIT DVDs and films too, I surveyed and found that the SONY DVD ROMs 16-X r the best one in the market but tell me one thing guys that is it true that SONY DVD ROMs come in open packings?? without any BOX PACK like the ones of SAMSUNG?? and r there and installation CDs or Floppies for the SONY DVD ROMs 16-X bundeled along with the DVD ROM?? coz the guy from where i enquired abt the SONY DVD ROM told me taht there is a 1 year warranty on this DVD ROM and it doest comes in a lose plastic packing and the price in Mumbai for the SONY DVD ROM 16-X is Rs.1850/- (white color).

Please help me to find a proper speed for the DVD ROM, is 16-X the best speed of DVD ROMs in the market today??? Please help needed....

cheers n peace.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom