Dual Core Vs Quad Core Mobile Socs?

ajaymailed

In the zone
I discussed about this issue of multicore CPU performance in case of desktop few months ago. Never expected this issue will come up with mobile phones so quickly.

forget about multicore Socs, Untill recently i never thought people would buy phones considering what processor, RAM, GPU it has.

Now in case of desktop as we know in early days of multicore cpu market, many apps, games were not multi threaded, optimised for multiple cores.

Does that issue come up with Phones OS , Apps too? if yes then i haven't anything about it.

i have one more question
Will Samsungs Cortex A9 dual core have similar performance against OMAPs Corex A9 dual core, both having same clock frequency, same RAM & GPU.

unless we how Soc differs from regular desktop, we aren't going to the find the real difference in performance between single/dual or quad core.

gforz

Maximum GAME
The performance of these SOC's can be obtained from benchmarks but the real problem is there isn't anything"much" as of now which is quad Core intensive except being a burden on the battery.

"Will Samsungs Cortex A9 dual core have similar performance against OMAPs Corex A9 dual core, both having same clock frequency, same RAM & GPU ?"

It depends on which specific SOC you are talking about.

Considering OMAP 4460 vs Exynos 4210.

OMAP 4460 is competitive with the Exynos 4210 in terms of CPU performance but can't quite match the GPU department.This is where the Exynos 4210 wins.

Mind you ,a dual core A15 TI OMAP 5 will beat the Quad core A9 easily!!:-D

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
The performance of these SOC's can be obtained from benchmarks but the real problem is there isn't anything"much" as of now which is quad Core intensive except being a burden on the battery.

nope. depends on lot. manufacturing node, power gate, ram type, etc. Quad Core Exynos will require almost same power as last gen dual core Exynos. as the old ones is built on 45nm node whereas the new one is manufactured on 32nm node. 28nm (if any) will be more power efficient.

gforz

Maximum GAME
Well I wasn't comparing a dual core Exynos SOC with a Quad Core Exynos anywhere in my post in terms of battery ,i meant multicore processors are a burden !!

OP
A

ajaymailed

In the zone
nope. depends on lot. manufacturing node, power gate, ram type, etc. Quad Core Exynos will require almost same power as last gen dual core Exynos. as the old ones is built on 45nm node whereas the new one is manufactured on 32nm node. 28nm (if any) will be more power efficient.
i have a doubt, whats the role played by ARM here other than designing the core?
why inside every single Mobile CPU be it samsung, apple or sony it has an A9 Core. Its like ARM has monopoly over mobile cpu architecture.

Is there anyway we can measure Mobile CPUs raw processor power, say in FLOPS, just for comparison with desktop equivalents. I really want to know what these quad-cores powerhouses are capable of.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
i have a doubt, whats the role played by ARM here other than designing the core?

they design the core or license you the instruction set based on which they (Qualcomm & Broadcomm) design their own processing core.

why inside every single Mobile CPU be it samsung, apple or sony it has an A9 Core. Its like ARM has monopoly over mobile cpu architecture.

cause Intel & AMD sucks when it comes to mobile processors. Absolute failures (everything before Medfield). Its a monopoly you can say but another RISC based processor designer MIPS is there but not popular in mobile space.

Is there anyway we can measure Mobile CPUs raw processor power, say in FLOPS, just for comparison with desktop equivalents. I really want to know what these quad-cores powerhouses are capable of.

there are but performance varies from platform to platform and even a jump from Android 2.3 to 4.0 will see a huge increase in performance.

gforz

Maximum GAME
there are but performance varies from platform to platform and even a jump from Android 2.3 to 4.0 will see a huge increase in performance.

This is true in case of android but not in case of apple iOS or Windows mobile OS.

Top Bottom