dual booted window 7 32 bit and win 8 64 bit but cant access file

iittopper

Wise Old Owl
I have installed 64 bit window 8 on an existing window 7 ultimate as i am having 4 gb ram . But if i use window 8 , i cant play games/software installed earlier on win 7 . Any help?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
can you be more specific .. which softwares/games are not working ?

Make sure you have installed Dot Net Framework 3.5 from win 8 DVD / Windows Update, DirectX, and every necessary VC run times.

gameranand

Living to Play
I have installed 64 bit window 8 on an existing window 7 ultimate as i am having 4 gb ram . But if i use window 8 , i cant play games/software installed earlier on win 7 . Any help?

You can't. You have to install them for both Window Installations. :)

Vignesh B

Youngling
1. You can't use the software(s) installed in one OS in another OS. You have to install it separately.
2. If, you have technically dual booted, you shouldn't face any problems unless the installed games/software(s) are in the same destination.

OP
iittopper

iittopper

Wise Old Owl
can you be more specific .. which softwares/games are not working ?

Make sure you have installed Dot Net Framework 3.5 from win 8 DVD / Windows Update, DirectX, and every necessary VC run times.

Any software / games that is intalled in my Hard drive . It gives different error with different games !

what ?? :shock: but then what is the point of having dual boot?

1. You can't use the software(s) installed in one OS in another OS. You have to install it separately.
2. If, you have technically dual booted, you shouldn't face any problems unless the installed games/software(s) are in the same destination.

yes i have installed as per your link ! created a new partition of 21 gb and installed window 8 pro on it ! but still cant open anything?

Vignesh B

Youngling
what ?? :shock: but then what is the point of having dual boot?
This -

You may share firefox though because the executable file does not have any essential drivers or registry entries which have to be pre-loaded. This is not the case for most software(s), so you have to re-install these programs on the new OS. Since each OS has it's own Registry it won't work.
Some apps like Pidgin & thunderbird will also work.

reniarahim1

Youngling
what is the purpose of dual booting win 7 and win 8? most softwares installed in one os will not work on another.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you ask me Dual Boot means Windows+Linux and not Windows+Windows. :|

dual booting some time means windows+windows as well ;-) for eg. Win 98+ Xp or Xp+Win7.

@ Op - why don't you post some apps names which are not working and the error messages ( screenshot ) games are showing when you're trying to start them, ANd did you installed the things I've told about.

rst

Youngling

I am also using window 8 pro (64 bits) and window 7 ultimate(32 bits)
For them I made different partitions.

If i install a game in window 7 then it will not run in window 8
you have to install game in window 8 (if you want see that game running in window 8)

what is the purpose of dual booting win 7 and win 8? most softwares installed in one os will not work on another.
you can enjoy both windows.
If a game is not running in one window then you can try it in another window.

Last edited:

reniarahim1

Youngling
majority of the programs that run in win7 will run in win8 and vice versa. dual booting win7 and win8 does not make any sense.

OP
iittopper

iittopper

Wise Old Owl
dual booting some time means windows+windows as well ;-) for eg. Win 98+ Xp or Xp+Win7.

@ Op - why don't you post some apps names which are not working and the error messages ( screenshot ) games are showing when you're trying to start them, ANd did you installed the things I've told about.

when i open steam , it tells that it is not installed . when i open games it says xinput.dll is not found . but i think i have got my answer , i cant play the games till i install it again in my new windows . thanks @rst @raniarahin1 @top gear @gameranand and @vignesh :)

rst

Youngling
when i open steam , it tells that it is not installed . when i open games it says xinput.dll is not found . but i think i have got my answer , i cant play the games till i install it again in my new windows . thanks @rst @raniarahin1 @top gear @gameranand and @vignesh :)

I just installed far cry 2 and nfs most wanted 2 in window 7 32 bits,
These games are even running in window 8 pro (64 bits)
So it means you donot require separate installation of game in different windows.
But make sure
1)game should be install in different drive (other than window 7 and window 8 drive)
2)".dll" errors are generally related to directX installation.
3) You can even use "dll file fixer"
4)If nothing work then reinstall game.
It should work in both windows

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

you are using legit copy of games with steam and steam seeks for a particular location for games but there's many ways so that you don't need to download and install the games for your new windows install .. this is true for both steam and origin. search around and you'll find the workaround.

and about the xinput error well you need to install latest version of Directx.

Top Bottom