Dual boot Windows 7 and Red hat EL 5.2 .. bootloader issues

Duke

Broken In
I installed windows 7 first & den installed red hat.. though the red hat installation was sucess i coudn't load red hat again i think boot loader has something to do with this... as i allready had 3 primary partitions in Windows 7 .. i didn't do any force primary partitions for red hat as i coudn't so does it have anything to do with this..??
here is my Disk management view

View attachment 12020

or while Installing i had an ATA_PIIX error for which i had to make some changes in BIOS>internal pheripherals>satamode to RAID from IDE is this causing an issue..??

& i selected MBR first sector & advanced boot loader options.. is this what causing a problem for dual booting??

how can i get back to red hat... i can run windows 7 successfully..do i need to use any specific bootloader from windows now as i don't have access to REd hat..

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you change sata mode to raid then you need raid drivers for any OS from which you want to boot & your redhat install most likely don't have this driver.also your partition management is a mess.keep no. of partitions as low as possible.after installing linux it is recommended to use grub bootloader for managing multiple os boot.

OP
D

Duke

Broken In
after installing I changed my Sata mode to IDE again.. as i was getting startup error with windows....

Ny ways how can i get to Grub when i can't even access it??

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
You have too many partitions!!!
Here is the solution to your problem.

Keep number of partitions to 4 (If you have a 1 TB harddisk)

C Drive - 255 GB

D Drive - 150 GB

E Drive - 150 GB

F Drive - 150 GB

Linux partion:
---------------------

Root - 250 GB

swap - 4 GB

Also change your BIOS settings to the factory settings (default). Any screw-up will mess up the whole thing.
There are lots of partition resizing software available. That can do the job to resize your Windows partitions.
I suggest you format your harddisk , create 3 or 4 partitions, install Windows OS & install Redhat Linux
The Linux bootloader GRUB is installed in the MBR.

OP
D

Duke

Broken In
so you mean i shouldn't make other partitions like /opt /usr.. etc.. ?? but i need them

& while installing rhel which grub option should i choose.. MBR or advanced grub options?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i don't remember any linux install which explicitly require making different partitions for /opt /usr etc.all you need is a swap partition & root partition.

Flake

Linux User
If you are a new Linux user and this is not a production machine, then I would suggest you to create 2 Partitions / (root) and SWAP only. There is no need to create other partitions right now. if you have 2GB or more RAM, SWAP partition is also not required. Create 1GB SWAP to be on safer side.

Could you post your machine's specs here?

Go for default options in Boot Loader installation section. Install GRUB in MBR only.

chris

In the zone
I have dualboot between windows 7 and ubuntu. I use windows 7 boot manager (no grub). After installing ubuntu, go to windows, install

EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies

Add ubuntu install to boot menu with it.

If you install RHEL for learning purpose, run it inside vmware, that is easier.

OP
D

Duke

Broken In
well i allready installed rhel in vmware.. but i got only 2gb ram.. i need more to do my tasks with rhel.. as it consumes 7-800 for windows on top 5-600 for rhel.. and i could hardly run multiple instances.. in it..

well i have a system reserved partition.. & boot options will be stored there right .. does this have anything to do with dual boot issue i am facing?

Top Bottom